RATINGS: 331   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
A very complex Belgian sextuple, sweet with caramel notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (3345) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2006
Great Taste of the Midwest

The Three Floyds tent was pretty busy throughout the day. This was their first special pour (at 3:00 PM), roughly two hours into the festival. The lines werenít too bad so within five minutes I had my sample. I am suprised to discover it is listed at 15% ABV because it felt more like 9 or possibly 10% when I sampled it. Maybe they just did a good job of balancing it.

Aroma / Appearance - A huge thick foamy cream head formed immediately then withered until all that was left was the transparent body, which was somewhere between copper and bronze in hue. Tons of nose came off the sample but the key players were fresh hay, wheat, a general barnyardy aroma and a sour funkiness or spiciness. I wasnít able to tell which based off of my small sample - perhaps it is more obvious with a full 16-oz pour.

Flavor / Palate - Tons of fruitiness revealed itself in the small sample. Cherries, peaches, pears, cotton candy and honey accented what I was able to taste before running out. I think with a bigger pour I would have been able to pick up even more. The finish was tangy, leaving a trace of bitterness on my mouth that lasted until I got some water a few minutes later. An excellent interpretation of a Belgian strong ale with a sweet aftertaste, I hope they offer this at Dark Lord Day 2007 so I can try it again.

NachlamSie (3065) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 15, 2006
Draught during my Great Lakes region brew tour. haha, drank this after the wimpy DEESKO. Boy, did I need something of this magnitude. Ruby pour into appropriate glassware with a gigantic, frothy white head. The sweet aroma is bold and complex packing corriander, cloves, fig, caramel, and more for my feeble olfactory sense to tackle. The mouthfeel is thick and heavy without becoming overly sticky. There is a pleasing level of sweetness present which is not overdone. There are flavors of lemon, molasses, corriander, brownies, banana. The finish brings out smokey notes of twigs and tobacco. Itís mildly drying on the palate. The menu claims this beer is 16% abv. I seriously question that claim given the complete obfuscation of alcohol in the flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hero27 (19) - Iowa, USA - JUL 12, 2006
On-tap @ Three Floyds Brewpub... Listed on the beer menu as a Sextuppel. Artwork on the tapper is very cool (as always from Three Floyds) Shiny reddish/orange color. Aroma is mostly spices, yeast, sweet malts, and mild fruits. I really did not get my hopes up for this one, as I didnít think an American brewery focusing on hops and extreme American styles could pull this off with much success.. I couldnít be more glad I was wrong. The taste has the Belgian flair that you can easily pin down, but with a great fresh spice taste and a big-time sweetness that I swear has a life of itís own. Rumor has it this beerís huge sweetness comes from rare imported sugar from East Indonesia..at least thatís what they told us at the brewpub...but whatever it is, Iíve never tasted it in a belgian. The alcohol is very well hidden, but can be sensed by the nearly instant intoxication after a few sips. Mouthfeel is full and carbonation is quite low. This baby slides down as easy as a 4% pilsner..absolutely no agressive/harsh tastes..just sweet, spicy, perfection. Truth be told, American brewers can (and have) beat many Belgians at their own game..this is one clear example. Donít get me wrong..i love a good true Belgian (from there) just as much as the next guy, but I simply cannot think of a beer at 15.5% that can top this killer. Damn, I love when breweries have the balls to come out with insane beers like this, because when they pay off, theyíre simply incredible...and this one is.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gferd (99) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 21, 2006
What can you say about Three Floyds. This high-alcohol beer is a certain winner. A sweet malty aroma, interspersed with the smell of alcohol.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
railcat1 (701) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2006
this was a strong beer.sweet and sryupy not my style but never the less i give CHEERS to the guys for trying something different.had on draft and and took a while to drink but i got a buzz on one glass.CHEERS

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2006
Bomber into some type of glass, once again provided by cquiroga, summer of 2005. Damn over-the-top beer; maybe some time in the bottle would mellow it out, turn all this wonderful potential into a balanced and integrated beauty. At this tasting, however, it remained bottled ambition. Transluscent amber with a tan fizzy head of medium size, mostly diminishing. Smells: buttery caramel malts and dry pruney tannins. Thick beer syrup nectar of overripe fruit with tannin tang and alcohol pummelling my tongue and wafting up my throat into my nostrils. The heaviness of it makes the malty flavors seem like fruity caramel taffy. Powdered milk right before the finish, which belies the amount of unfermented sugar in this; the alcohol makes it dry and chewy; cherry persists into the aftertaste, transitioning to licorice late. Wow. My main impression of this beer is simply that itís really, really big. In my opinion, that shouldnít be the most defining characteristic.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
thedm (5214) - Fort Wayne, USA - DEC 24, 2005
This draft brew from the brewery poured a small sized head of fine to medium sized fully diminished off-white colored bubbles that left behind an unnoted lacing. The body contained no visible carbonation, was thick semi-transparent and orange brown in color. Its aroma contained notes of mild malt and was almost non-existant . Its mouth feel is initially smooth with a lingering tingly palate that soon mellows into a vinuous aftertaste hoppy aftertaste. Its flavor contained vinuous malty hoppy doughy notes and was tasty. A very average brew from these people.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Eight-month old growler. Thick, clear amber with a huge, fluffy, cream-colored head. An sweet, estery aroma of passionfruit, cotton candy, sweet apples, toffee, alcohol, bubblegum, caramel, fresh melons and light grains. Thick, sweet body with huge coating effect on the tongue. Very low carbonation, despite the rather large head. The sweetness of the malt was rather expected from what I knew of the beer. Certainly the sweet malt and sugar dominate the profile. However, I was sort of expecting more of a Barley Wine and I was pleasantly surprised by the fairly robust Belgian character. The alcohol is noticable, but doesnít dominate or burn, at least with this much age on it. The esters produced by the yeast make this much more interesting than I expected. All in all, itís probably a little too big, but the Floyds, et. al. have shown once again that they make big beers very well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 18, 2005
From a growler that sat in my fridge for about 8 months: initial glass was clear auburn with a thick creamy off-tan head (glass from the bottom of the growler was muddy and translucent at best Ė a decent layer of residue was left in the growlerÖI canít help but think it got stronger over that last 8 months). Anyway, malty aromatics with sweet caramel, banana mush, hints of cloves and certainly some fruity alcohol. Well textured palate with much for of a Belgian feel and flavour than I was expecting. Strong yeasty esters hold the alcohol firmly and donít let it get out of control, which in itself is amazing, but the candi sugar sweetness is well balanced by the slightly astringent hops and the onslaught of fruity (red apples and dates) malt. The space that I (my wife) gave up in the fridge for 8 months was well worth it, because this has settled into a beautifully elegant (though still strong) Belgian ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hotstuff (4531) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 8, 2005
Tap at 3F. Small off-white head that quickly dissipated, fine-small sized bubbles, sparse lacing, and a reddish brown hue. Aroma was sweet, malty and alcohol. Flavor was very sweet, syrupy, thick, hoppy, malty and vinuous. Mouthfeel was syrupy and thick. A sipping beer for sure!