overall

RATINGS: 790   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A massive IPA that will leave your palate itís hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy. 100IBU 9%ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jmagnus87 (2548) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2011
A 22oz bottle from Chuckís poured into a snifter. Color is dark gold, almost orange. Minimal amount of white head that disappears almost instantly but leaves nice lacing. Aroma is helluva heavenly hoppy! Floral and piney hop smells along with something sweet. Maybe nectarines. Taste is heavy bitter and lightly sweet. Very strong hop presence in this one and again, something sweet. Possibly citrus fruits. Medium bodied with a creamy texture, lively carbonation and a long bitter finish. Overall, this may be one of my new favorite beers. Definitively something to put a little hair on the chest of any non-hop head. I am going to thoroughly enjoy this beer and next time I head to Bowling Green, Iím going to have to grab more than one bottle...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
5000 (6298) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JUN 8, 2011
Bottle:   Orangish of sorts, dirty, really dirty, loads of sediment float about, moderate frothy white head, with spotty lacing.   Semi-sweet citrus rind and hop goodness on the nose.   Nothing brash, pretty soft and subtle.   Nice combination of sweet and hoppy right up front.   A little citrus background.   Not as brash as the Dreadnaught, but also not as heavy.   Could use a bit more body.   Backside yields a bit more citrus peel, which is nice.   For some reason this one seems tame... I expected a bit more of a bruiser.   The 9% ABV is well hidden.   Solid example, even if middle of the road.   Tangy citrus peel on the backside... thats the main thing.   Decent, but could use more malt body.   Thanks to Pailhead for the bottle!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DialSquare (2856) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2014 9/5/14: Bomber from Andersons - asked if they had anything new and was generously offered a bottle that was stashed away. Orange pour, thin white ring retention. Aroma of pine, citrus, warm boozy malt. Tastes are candied tropical fruit, caramel, citrus peel, light honey, toast. Great brew, - 8.4 ORIGINAL RATE: 6/7/11: Had a couple of these on tap at the 2nd Cigar City Hanahpu release. My favorite brew of the day. Donít have a lot of the specifics other than: awesome lemony dry and bitter - 8.6. Need to try again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 6, 2011
In short: A somewhat dry and very fruity (mangos, tropical fruits) 9% IPA that drinks like a 5% pale ale. Great beer.
How: Fresh 22oz bottle. Had it a once or twice before but waited to rate a full fresh bomber. Bottle sent to me by sherm1016, thanks a lot Todd
The look: Cloudy orangy-blonde body topped by a small persistent white head
In long: Very bright and aromatic nose with flowers, freshly cut pine-tree and mangos. Taste has fresh mangos and other tropical fruits over crackery malts with a neutral unsalted Premium Plusô character. Some sawdust. The moderately resinous bitterness level is medium and never aggressive. One notable aspect of the beer is how fresh the fruit flavors were, like biting into a fresh mango and other fruits. Taking into account Dreadnaught and a few other Three Floyds offerings I was surprised at how relatively dry this beer was. Not very dry (itís a 9% beer) but far from sweet. I went through my bomber in about 20 minutes but thatís because I was writing this rating otherwise it would not have lasted 10 minutes. Needless to say it is easy to drink. This is the fruity cousin of Founders Double Trouble. I loved it. I love all Three Floyds hoppy beers. Yesterday I had a dream that Three Floyds had put out another new IPA and I was drinking it in front of my computer and rating it on ratebeer. So yes, even my dreams have given up on me ever having a life.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LearninBeer (386) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 4, 2011
The aroma is hops, citrus. Pours a light golden yellow, with a big white head fully diminishing. The taste is bitter. The body is creamy with a biting on the back of the tongue. Very good!

drowland (6134) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - JUN 2, 2011
5/25/11. Bomber courtesy cbfobes! Hazy orange pour with a small white head that fades. Super dank hop aroma with plenty of pine and citrus. Sweet citrus flavor with a huge bitter, dry hop bite. Very nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3164) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 2, 2011
Hazy medium yellow with a white head. Big pine and citrus hop aroma. Big bitterness in the flavor with sweetness in the back for support. nice one!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ccex (946) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2011
22 oz. bottle. This is the only Three Floyds Iíve found in my neighborhood. and I was excited to find it here at a store without any other FFF brews. The previous 3 FFFs I tried were all exceptional, and the citrus/hop aroma of this led me to believe it would be just as great. It pours a slightly hazy orange color and gets clearer as it warms up. The taste isnít quite as hoppy as I expected; closer to grapefruit than the knockout hop flavor of Alpha King. This one has a higher ABV, and I can taste it. Iíll try this one again, even though it doesnít quite live up to the Three Floyds hype.

nuplastikk (4673) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 31, 2011
Draft at The Haze. Hazy, approaching opaque, orange-tan. Bitter orange, maybe a touch of spearmint. Quite cool and easy, especially for the ABV, of which there isnít much trace. Crisp, bitter, but not really so sticky. Astringent, lemon-lime, approaching herbal hoppiness. Pretty unqiue, on a different level than a typical IIPA. Awesome and interesting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Frank (2973) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2011
Tried this on tap at the brewpub. It is really nothing special for this day and age and I kind of wonder why the Floyds boys donít just stick w/ Dreadnaught. Itís golden yellow w/ a thin head which leaves behind lots of lace regardless. Hoppy and strong but light on the palate w/ a good bit of alcohol burn. (Note: whiskey tasting has left me immune to alcohol burn so when I notice it in a beer, there is something a lit awry--wanted to throw that out.) I could go on about the details of this brew but basically, it comes off as something of a ham-fisted version of Hopslam. The palate remains light and drinkable but the hop flavor is just kind of overbold and bland. This beer uses hops like someone who doesnít know how to cook Italian uses garlic: indiscriminately. Undoubtedly, I have many similar beer rated much higher than this but this just does not impress me to any extent, large or small.