overall

RATINGS: 1152   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Huge sweet body, big flavors and high alcohol levels, this beer is best enjoyed by a raging fire. Complex caramel sweetness is well balanced by generous hopping, delivering an intense, smooth drinking experience. Intense fruity caramel malts, citrus hops, and alcohol notes waft up to tickle your senses.
2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jefyou (39) - Menlo Park, California, USA - JAN 27, 2003
What can I say other than this is the BEST BEER I have ever had. Now let me say that I drove an hour from Chicago to the brewrey to pick up some of 3 Floyds for the Super Bowl. I bought a growler of this barleywine and I feel in love (no I did not take it to the party, I am selfish). Now back to the beer; there may be better beers but I have never tried it. this one may get a boost from the fact that it did not sit on a boat from Europe for the last few months. Like a bouquet of flowers, fresh, sweet, intense. This beer is divine. Dark red/copper color. Almost no head but leaves a thick coating of lace in the glass neverless. This beer is not a thirst quencher by any means. Perfect for after dinner, late night. Unbelievebly smooth but intensely complex.Hard to find any faults. This is my second pint tonight (10.5%) so it has a real kick. I will definitely heading back to Munster, IN soon. By the way check my thoughts on Alpha King and Dreadnaught Ales - AMESOME.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
joet (2219) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JAN 22, 2003
Beautiful red/gold, nice white foam, big and surprisingly balanced, 3 floyds is not a one-trick pony -- this is a very unique brew, very nice, very powerful. bright but not acidic. Big props to hopsrus.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - JAN 18, 2003
Deep amber color. Small head. Aroma is floral hops and malts. A very big bold malty and hoppy barleywine. VERY smooth taste. The big rich malts are balanced by big floral citrusy hops. A very well balanced barleywine. The alcohol is not at all evident despite the 11.5%. VERY nice. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is surprisingly dry. Aftertaste is malty, with a lingering slight bitterness. Props to hopsrus.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 16, 2003
Bottled from a growler: Clear copper color. Big centennial hop aroma. Nice amount of malt in the nose. Very well-balanced nose. Numbing alcohol flavor. Very sweet. Big malt backbone. Big promise in the aroma but didn't deliver in the flavor department. Still quite good although probably my least favorite of the big Three Floyds beers. Thanks to hopsrus for bottling and sending this out. Thanks to user_ex for sharing.

jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 12, 2003
A beautiful ruby hue. Thin light tan head and lace. Aroma of caramel, peaches, hop resin and others. Medium thick body, creamy and full with loads of flavor. Huge caramel malts, fruity slickness with loads of hops finishing it. I swear i taste watermelon jolly ranchers in the finish mixing with the hops. A damn good barleywine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JAN 11, 2003
This reminds me of a maltier version of Avery Hog Heaven. The hops are very much present, but it has a rounder, fuller, softer mouthfeel. The ABV is very well hidden as well. I could live without the grapfruit finish, which dropped the overall score down a little bit.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ernest (6342) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2006 Bomber. Head is initially small, frothy, light brown, mostly diminishing. Body is medium orange-brown. Aroma is lightly malty (cookie), moderately hoppy (grapefruit, resin), lightly yeasty (dough), with notes of peach and alcohol. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lighlty to moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, watery/syrupy texture, lively carbonation, lightly to moderately alcoholic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JAN 7, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2003 Really lovely deep ruby hue, very clear, with a small creamy fast-diminishing head. Nose disappointingly two-dimensional, hoppy and alcoholic and thats it. Flavor, there"s another story. The trademark (well, seems like a trademark to me) 3Fs thick crushed-velvet mouthfeel hits you immediately, along with flavors of alcohol, oak, cherries and of course massive hops. Along with SN Bigfoot, the best hoppy barleywine I"ve had yet, though I must say on the whole I prefer the older, mellower, sweeter versions of the style; this is not on the same level as Delafield"s Okauchee Scotchie or the "97 Lakefront, good as it is.

Next day, 2nd sample, slight rerate: must have absorbed some bad odors from my car, or my sense of smell was whacked, because I get a lovely malty/dried fruit scent now; still not the very best BW I"ve had, but close.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BATLMULLET (127) - Highland, Indiana, USA - JAN 4, 2003
Holy moly! Huge mouthfeel from all that body. Tiny head running up through a gold-red color. Very aromatic. A cool strawberry flavor comes up first and gives way to citrusy hops and chewy malt. Very warming. Enjoy carefully while you’re judging the big body beauty pageant that is Behemoth!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 3, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2005 Rerate: Bomber with pink wax. Filtered, hoppy (all Centennial it seems). Way citrusy. Totally devoid of character -- it’s not bad, but it is completely unorigianl now and uninspring. Perhaps this is because it was resampled after two Blaugies beers...Original: Not essentially all that different from the other big 4 by 3F I’ve had since fedex delivered my package from hopsrus at 11:00 am this morning (6 hrs ago). I mean it’s good, the hop profile has all the usual suspects, but the barleywine character is subdued somehat as a result. Not my fave style anyway, though I am damn glad to have had the opportunity to try this monster. And I have certainly had a major hop infusion today.