overall

RATINGS: 1178   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Huge sweet body, big flavors and high alcohol levels, this beer is best enjoyed by a raging fire. Complex caramel sweetness is well balanced by generous hopping, delivering an intense, smooth drinking experience. Intense fruity caramel malts, citrus hops, and alcohol notes waft up to tickle your senses.
2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 4, 2003
Syrupy sweet, like their Alpha Klaus, even though they are different types of beer. Somewhat hoppy. Even smells awfully sweet. Candy, raisins, and dried fruits - a hint of cocoa. Apples and Pears...somewhat alcoholic finish, but it doesn't burn.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (5398) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 3, 2003
[draught] This is one sticky f-in' barleywine - medium hop presence, like a cross between a west coast and east coast brew - vinous, with lots of fruits (cherries and strawberries in particular) - hops in the finish, and vinous notes as well, making for a very odd and not entirely enjoyable finish - still a great barleywine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - APR 27, 2003
Nice rich body full of fruity malt aroma and intense flavors. Malt sweetness balances the alcohol and hops beatifully.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2003
Friuty apple, citrus, dark fruit nose. Malty caramel and fruit taste with some hops added in. Creamy smooth mouthfeel. Fun stuff. Hopsrus to alcfron to me. Thanks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - APR 4, 2003
A robust rusty dirt/clay feel to the color. Can not say much for the head as it did not make much of an appearance. Higher than I expected carbonation is the first noticable attribute. A nice spicey sweet aroma with borderline alcohol fumes. Tastes like a harmonic mixture of butterscotch, spice, citrus fruit and alcohol. Damn near impressive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1438) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - MAR 31, 2003
The warnings had been coming across the wires for the longest time, But I had paid them no heed. I wandered ahead into the darkness. I sensed an enormous presence and my nostrils flared. I attempted a girlish shriek with the back of my wrist against my forehead, but the behemoth was upon me. I was completely overpowered. Okay, in all actuality I was more amazed at just how I wasn't overpowered. While this has strength in all its assets, they are so beautifully balanced that I could see myself drinking his all night long.Or at least as long as I could manage. Delicious! The syrupy caramel like malt taking volleys from the wonderful hop bitterness. Hopsrus you done me right. Many thanks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerMonkey (11) - Lansing, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2003
I've become a barleywine fan because of this beer. It has a definite alcohol kick, but is balanced by the smooth fruity flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2003
Perturbingly smooth drinking from my first three floyds brew. This one pours a cloudy reddish brown color with a tiny off white head, little if any. The aroma hints at sweetness, fruity esters, caramel malts, definite hops presence, and citrus. The taste is a beautiful amalgamation of smooth caramel malts..just perfectly sweet with a tiny bittering alcohol presence. Fruity orange and citrus undertones caress the palate. Little carbonation level, just perfect in almost every respect. Total aftertaste explosion in the mouth. An extremely nice barleywine!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MERUBADOO (6) - Flossmoor, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2003 does not count
LIKE A FRUIT FAIRY WALKING A TIGHT-ROPE MILES HIGH ABOVE COMPETING BARLEYWINES---A PERFECT BALANCE BETWEEN CARAMEL MALT(S) SWEETNESS AND MASSIVE HOPS.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - MAR 5, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2003 I must say that I really enjoyed having my senses tickled, or massaged...literally all 5 senses took part. The soft exploding of bubbles was noted and I swear I saw a dove in the lacing. Amazing creamy & malty (Grape-Nuts soaked in 2% milk) aroma. The initial fruity goodness widened to a juicy caramel apple kiss. Sticky, chewy, vinous. Impressive carbonation.