overall

RATINGS: 1183   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Huge sweet body, big flavors and high alcohol levels, this beer is best enjoyed by a raging fire. Complex caramel sweetness is well balanced by generous hopping, delivering an intense, smooth drinking experience. Intense fruity caramel malts, citrus hops, and alcohol notes waft up to tickle your senses.
2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (250) - Los Angeles, California, USA - NOV 29, 2006
At last, Three Floyds! What an event, and how couldn’t it be, dressed in such extravagant pink wax? I approached this colossus with quiet expectations and a reserved sense of excitement, fearing an elaborate fraud, or a likely disappointment. What appeared in my glass manifested an obvious and hypnotizing beauty: dark, opaque and truly ruby red (for I am used to taking slight creative liberties), the topping was reduced to a side-attraction, biscuit-colored and disguised in a layer of small shiny bubbles. To the nose, an intense, flamboyant and absolutely theatrical fanfare of hops displays in the gleaming spotlights the panoply of its talents. Sugary pine, toast, juicy grapefruit, the opulence of this brew is simply staggering. Pure maple syrup, cedar and chestnut honey create a sticky scent enhanced by noticeable alcohol and again the orchestral hops. Somehow the flavor surprised me. Though it clearly echoes the nose, I found it difficult to imagine a marching band parading across my tongue until I actually took a sip. Cymbals, trumpets and every instrument you can think of flare upon the palate in what could seem like a cacophony but in fact reduces to a simple and unified roar. Lemon, lime, apricot, banana, pine, caramel, grape juice and sap explode on the taste buds.

Despite such a gargantuan profile, and surely what my colleagues across America seem to applaud, I didn’t care much for the Behemoth. It was entertaining, no doubt, but beyond the ferocity of its flavors, and even its honorable complexity, I felt Behemoth lacked true pleasure. The analogy I described to my friend GarrettB, with whom I shared the bottle, is, I believe, opportune. Three Floyds, or my experience of the brewery so far, is to me reminiscent of the famous artist Piet Mondrian. What emerges from his work is a bold, new approach to color, composition and an entirely different perception of art. Below the apparent minimalism is a depth of meaning and commentary that ultimately becomes dissolved by the populace. The result is perhaps a sentiment of insolence but also an appreciation for the implications of art itself. Yet, however rich this context may be, I almost always find myself more interested by the intricacy of a Da Vinci, the sfumato or early chiaroscuro techniques he employed, the subtle brush strokes and complex forms of his paintings. Even the loose and more conceptual line quality of his sketches are infinitely more satisfying to me. Transcending the painting, Da Vinci loses no ground to modern art, as the meaning of his work is still debated upon. If I can have the best of both worlds, then to me there’s much more to gain, whether that means Trappists or Gueuzes or otherwise. That said, I’m not opposed to a little education.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkade8883 (250) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 29, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2010 Dark gold with white head. Aroma of rich caramel with a hint of sugar. Flavor is tons of brown sugar and molasses. Finishes smooth in the mouth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bittermestupid (247) - Canton, Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2011
On tap at Three Floyds Brewpub on 4-30-11 DLD. Pours brownish amber with very little head. Smells of pine, citrus and caramel malts. Wonderful malted carameland cereal grains, awesome hop profile, pine, grapefruit, and mango. Mouthfeel is thick and oily. Finish is long and bitter but with nice malt sweetness. I’m glad I finally had this beer I’ve waited for this a long time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cbuk1013 (247) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUN 15, 2013
This really reminded me of Avery’s Hog Heaven. A little too much grapefruit for my taste. I wish it was slightly more balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JanVittrup (243) - København V, DENMARK - JUN 13, 2009
2008 bottle. Uniltered amber/gold, quickly disappearing medium bubble size/non-homogenous head. Very fruity/sweet. Hop also very evident in aroma. Full bodied, medium fizzy. Medium sweet, changing to hoppy, then slowly fading out as a mix of sweet and hoppy. Nice symphony and balance. No clear alcohol presence underlines the quality. Purchased in Ølbutikken.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
b79turner (243) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - APR 2, 2012
2012 release with red wax, 22 ounce poured into a tulip glass. Pours a deep caramel with a 1" head that quickly subsides. Nose is very hoppy, slight citrus aromas. Taste is hops with a slightly sweet caramel flavor. Very well balanced and easily drinkable. Fantastic brew!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bretupdegraff (242) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - AUG 8, 2008
nice aroma. Very nice taste. Shared w/ derekbang. Tons of flavor! Citrus and so much more. Excellent brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sikash (240) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 7, 2013
Big sweet malt aroma with notes of pine, fruit and orange. Flavor is initially very sweet with a big malt character that finishes with a dry bitterness and a dark fruit note. Mouthfeel is full carbonation is average. Overall a delicious beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Juancho (239) - Georgia, USA - MAR 18, 2008
Bomber on the Pacific ocean beachside... I thought it was going to be too big for the heat of the tropics, yet it was hugely refreshing, yet satisfying. Wonderful aromas, complex flavors sweet yet hoppy, smooth yet rude. Sweet malts, with citrus hops... Heaven.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - FEB 12, 2003
UPDATED: APR 1, 2003 Holy sweet malty hops! The signature 3Floyds Hop pops in and out of this thick and candied mouthfeel reigning in any potential syrupiness. The alcohol warms and gives this dessert beer a mature, port-like sensation. A great beer to drink while pondering life. Eddie G- thanks again!