overall

RATINGS: 1141   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Huge sweet body, big flavors and high alcohol levels, this beer is best enjoyed by a raging fire. Complex caramel sweetness is well balanced by generous hopping, delivering an intense, smooth drinking experience. Intense fruity caramel malts, citrus hops, and alcohol notes waft up to tickle your senses.
2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MadIndian (2348) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 14, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2008 Yellow Wax Bottle from ebay, Sampled with Dennis Bell(My brew master) . Poured a hazy thick amber/orange color. Strong aroma of caramel, Dark fruits(possibly plum) amd citrus hops. Taste was a mirror image of the aroma. My toes tingled when I drank it. Dennis and I both said this was the best Barley wine we ever drank. RE RATE Sampled the Pink wax with Stegosaurus, I originally gave it a 5.0 but after having The Oak age Angel Share, I drop this down a little.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Tap (22) - - FEB 21, 2011
I tried the purple wax bottle. Just a all around perfect beer. Looks great with an aroma that is present. The taste is incredible. Tons of flavor. Kept getting alot of sweet grapish citrus notes. Really enjoyed this beer definitely an A+ brew. This bottle must have been aged a couple years and was great. I want to try the fresh white wax bottle to see how it compares.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BrewtopiaofPJ (37) - Miller Place, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2013
Bottle from amazing trade with mwbrady12, drank with teary eye, amazing sweet, rich malt, lots of citrusy hops (especially for a barleywine - the hoppiest barleywine iíve had) . My first Three Floyds, thank you again!!

JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - APR 13, 2002
One of my all time favorites..!The best beer for a cold winters night. Big grapefruit hoppy aroma. This stuff is LARGE by all accounts. Beautiful, strong AND smooth! Do yourself a favor and get a hold of a Behemoth Blonde Barley Wine.

ElBastardo (13) - Illinois, USA - AUG 15, 2002
Wonderfully balanced American barley wine ,no vineous-soy or oxidized flavors but Smooth Carmel and pineapple,mixed with and awesome hoppy aroma and well masked alcohol makes this a true classic!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jefyou (39) - Menlo Park, California, USA - JAN 27, 2003
What can I say other than this is the BEST BEER I have ever had. Now let me say that I drove an hour from Chicago to the brewrey to pick up some of 3 Floyds for the Super Bowl. I bought a growler of this barleywine and I feel in love (no I did not take it to the party, I am selfish). Now back to the beer; there may be better beers but I have never tried it. this one may get a boost from the fact that it did not sit on a boat from Europe for the last few months. Like a bouquet of flowers, fresh, sweet, intense. This beer is divine. Dark red/copper color. Almost no head but leaves a thick coating of lace in the glass neverless. This beer is not a thirst quencher by any means. Perfect for after dinner, late night. Unbelievebly smooth but intensely complex.Hard to find any faults. This is my second pint tonight (10.5%) so it has a real kick. I will definitely heading back to Munster, IN soon. By the way check my thoughts on Alpha King and Dreadnaught Ales - AMESOME.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 14, 2006
I had the 2001 version on tap at the brewpub and have had the 2005 version out of a bottle. Both pour thick with a nice thin head. There is an amber hue and the smell is mixed malt/ sweet cherries. The taste has a nice hop backbone.

LtJudge (468) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 19, 2006
Brewblackhole shared this bottle with me(thank you!)Poured a wonderfull reddish copper color.Has a fruity/alcholic/malty aroma to it.Upon first sip I was suprised on how smooth the mouthfeel was.It had a great malty/hop flavor with a hint of alcohol flavor,I was waiting for that huge biitter finish like alot of these higher alcohol brerws have,but to my suprise,it wasnt there.Just wonderfuly smooth all the way through!

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - OCT 24, 2007
Wow! Everything Iíd hope from Three Floyds in a Barleywine pours out just as I should have expected. Thick and vicious! Looks like caramel milk when pouring. The glass accepts the contents quickly and as it turns about in heavy thick scarvings of yellow ochre swirls and light brown whirls. It builds a lightly thick capping of foam lightly with large billowing bubbles which soap up slowly to dwindle down to its frothy middling level before finally fading to a thick whispy skim always sitting. The color finally settles a dark rusty brown with a flash of dark orange within. Fuckiní Beautiful ! Aroma is a nice mix of highly present caramel goo mixed with a perfumed tight little sent of deep orange, deeper lemon, deepest pineapple, and some tattered pine sap thrown in. Clean, robust, and boastfully delightful on the nose. But oh my the taste, the taste!...remarkable delicious! Holy fuck! ...Yum! Need I say more? OK maybe I should try. Ummm.... how íbout; Thick, sugary sweet laden caramel flavors are big and twisted upon a piney citrus juiced, flowery palate of goodness! Yet delicately woven with one melange of fun hoppiness that plants a bunch of fun and long lasting durations of slightly pithy bitterness interwoven within the thick juicy pulp of each fruit I might be able to summon in the ideas of tropical treats and freshness. Peach, nectarine, pineapple, orange, mango, lemon, tangerine, apple, red grapefruit, and a flinting of green grape. Yum! No banana Iím afraid. But the the caramel sweetened firmness more than enough makes up for it. Believe me. Itís Heavenly! The feel is thick and slippery, with a girth that stands on it own with a big, tall standing malt body made of caramel goodness and plastered with a hoppy touch of bite and bitterness that eludes the parching areas and goes right for the easy going goodness of juicy balance and alcohol. Why, because the 12.5 % is no where to be found until it hits the inside the head quickly after dispersing most of the contents of the bottle to the glass and then to the lips. No doubt. Creamy and lush, full and balanced; this stuff rocks with unbelievable drinkable ease and too much, so much so, Iím uncomprehensible to the point of utmost uncomprehensiblity?! I canít handle it, but love it! Great stuff!

jezmez68 (395) - Chesterton, Indiana, USA - JAN 21, 2008
Bottle shared with a friend during the Packers/Giants playoff game. Yellow wax (2007). Pours amberish brown. Smells of caramel and malt. Taste is a nice mix of malts and hops, however does not come off as "hoppy." Very nice body and mouthfeel. I didnít know this was so rare. I had been saving this one since October 23.