RATINGS: 396   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.36/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels including Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon barrel aged variants of Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beerman6686 (5619) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2008
Poured as black as humanly possibly. Aroma was of burnt coffee and alot of whiskey. Flavor was very smooth, but the complexities of the regular DL were covered up by the whiskey.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
sunevdj (3548) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - APR 28, 2008
DLD 2008. 1200th rating to be entered... what a coincidence! Pours black with no head. Flows very thick. Sweet, lots of bourbon. Some vanilla and lots of alcohol. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
tool2scream (188) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 28, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2008 Had the 2008 on tap Dark Lord Day 2008 at the brewery. Thick as molasses, pours straight black but no head. Left thick brown film on the glass as you swirled it. The smell was almost nothing but bourbon. The smells underneath were very good vanilla and some dried fruit if you could find them under the bourbon. Flavor was almost one deminsional: Bourbon. At first you picked up very sweet sugar and some vanilla masked with bourbon but within seconds your whole palate tasted bourbon and the taste lingered longer than anything iíve ever had. The mouthfeel was wonderful, almost like syrup or a melted milkshake, very sticky. If you got this on your hands it was like pancake syrup. Overall, nice experience, but way too much bourbon, i wanted to taste beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 28, 2008
Sample at DLD 08. Extremely black with no head. Swirling leaves the plastic cup stained brown. Thick looking. Bourbon is the first thing apparent in the aroma. The bourbon definitely overpowers the other aromas but it is not overdone, the aroma is still quite pleasant. Same old Dark Lord smell underneath if you focus on it. Very balanced smell. Taste is an explosion of sticky sweetness and mouth coating goo. The bourbon is immediately apparent then the chewy, chocolatey malts finish. Perhaps the longest finish of any beer Iíve ever had. I was licking my gums for minutes tasting this stuff. Obscenely full bodied. I donít know how but this seemed like the thickest DL Iíve yet encountered. The flavor is a little over the top. The sweetness of the bourbon combines with the already sweet beer to become a little much. I kept envisioning drinking corn syrup and the texture doesnít help eliminate this image. The bourbon flavor also kind of overpowered any of the subtleties of the regular (yes, there are some subtleties) and made the beer less complex. All in all this was quite incredible but the drinkability is certainly very low. I had to share my little cup. I am very glad to have gotten to try this but I prefer the regular version.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
CP (124) - USA - APR 28, 2008
I like regular Dark Lord better than the oak aged. This seems to be true for any beer I try that is oak aged. I either canít tell a big difference or it just adds alcohol flavor. For me the it doesnít add much to it other than that. Itís still good, but I just prefer the regular or vanilla bean.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
couchand (182) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - APR 28, 2008
Vintage 07 on tap DLD08. Quite similar to its younger brother. Strong oak and some vanilla character adds a bit of complexity to aroma and flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
damienv10 (108) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2008
DLD 08. Great beer but not the best of the dark lords. I like the aging but I donít think it adds as much character as the vanilla version

DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 27, 2008
I have to admit that Iíve fallen head over heels for the bourbon-aged craze, I dig the bourbon flavor and I really dig the Dark Lord... together they are absolutely amazing. Some beers donít really stand up to the challenge, the bourbon can get a little overwhelming, but the DL is rich enough that the bourbon flavors just work their way into the beer and create something so amazing.... While I agree that it is not a "sit on the back porch and drink a couple with your BBQ" beer, it is worth one of my few perfect 5.0ís for being the hands-down most delicious mouthful of anything Iíve ever had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2008 Tried this one after the Vanilla DL, and it seemed different in a few ways. 1-it didnít seem quite as thick, though it may have been an optical dillusion. 2- had a very distinct bourbon aroma and flavor. 3- you could tell the alcohol was in this one as compared to the regualr DL and Vanilla DL. Overall, it was great, but I was MUCH happier that I got a few cups of the Vanilla DL.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - APR 27, 2008
On tap at DLDí08. Glad to get some. I heard the ran out. Lots of molasses and bourbon in the nose. Taste is sweet and loaded with bourbon. Very black with no head. Very drinkable.