overall

RATINGS: 366   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.38   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels including Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon barrel aged variants of Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bretupdegraff (242) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - JUL 2, 2009
The best brew I have ever had - I nursed this all nigth but could not stop sipping! Had this at Dark Lord Day in 2009 - brew was 2008 Oak Aged. Yum!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mixinnixon2000 (227) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 26, 2009
This was on tap at DLD ’09. All I can say is AMAZING! Black and the consistancy of motor oil. I wish I could have brought some home.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Overml01 (225) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2010
2010 on tap tasting at DLD. You’ll have to forgive me for my less than thourough tasting notes... a drunk taster with a destroyed palate does not, a proficient rater, make! "Like DL, only Barrel Aged." <--- Official tasting notes, lol. So, so, good. They took the wonderful DL and then perfectly aged it for an incredable experience. One of the best beers I’ve ever had!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - MAY 18, 2010
5 ounce serving in a plastic cup at DLD 2010. Really wanted to try this last year when I went, but my friend and I ran out of time and had to leave before. The pour is darker than dark with a brown swirly head on top. This stuff is so thick it sticks to the side of the glass. The smell is incredible; tons of chocolate, roasted coffee, oak, vanilla, bourbon, a nutty smell, a sweet sugar-like smell. The flavor is so complex and and layered, with one smell/flavor coming one after the next; the layering is so incredible. So full bodied that your mouth feels sticky afterwards, but so tasty too. It is an extraordinary beer. However, I wish it could be aged, because after drinking an aged normal bottle of DL compared to an unaged bottle of normal, there is such a difference. If only I could have this whenever I wanted...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Driftwood6 (214) - USA - SEP 29, 2007
At GTMW 2007. Thought it was very interesting, but not sure if it was better than the regular Dark Lord I have from DLD 2007. When you drink this beer you can really detect and appreciate all the flavors. It seems like the beers that are aged in Woodford Reserve barrels always turn out very good, without being dominated by the bourbon flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TPaliga (212) - Munster, Indiana, USA - MAY 16, 2006
Pours black with tan head. Smells of bitter chocolate, burnt cherry, oak and slight alcohol. Taste lasts forever. Chocolate, dark fruit, molasses, vanilla, coffee. Amazingly sweet and deliciously bitter. Velety ans smooth. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
General66 (203) - Streator, Illinois, USA - APR 25, 2010
Had a five ounce serving of this in a plastic cup at Dark Lord Day 2010. I have wanted to try this for so long... this is my third DLD and I finally got to try it! The pour is pitch black with very nice brown swirls sitting on the top of the beer. As I swirled this around the cup, it left an oily residue on the sides... this stuff is definitely thick and viscous. The aroma is amazing... you really need to take 5 minutes just to try to pick out all of the smells in it. I was able to smell a lot of chocolate and fresh coffee, bourbon, oak, burnt wood, vanilla, nuts, and sweet sugars. The taste is also brilliantly complex. It has a wonderful sweetness that balances out all the other complexities. I picked out a lot of bourbon and oak at the beginning and some vanilla, chocolate, dark dried fruit, nuts, and burnt wood. I was floored with how well all of these flavors meshed together... this beer is almost too easy to drink. It has a full bodied mouth feel and clings to your mouth after every sip making you want more and more. Three Floyds did an amazing job on this! I would not say that this is better than regular Dark Lord, but it is definitely just as good. Simply amazing...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
LeopoldStoch (201) - Green, Ohio, USA - APR 29, 2007
On tap at DLD ’07. Huge beer!!! Thick as oil and black as night...no light coming through this one. Great nose of bourbon, chocolates, woody, and burnt malts. This is easily one of my favorite BA imperial stouts. I freaking loved this stuff, and had several glasses of it throughout the day. The alcohol was present but it not really distracting from the beer at all. There was also little to no head to speak of with this beer. After having both this and BA speedway this past weekend I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy this one way more because of its ability to be so big and bold. I loved it!! The BA speedway was great as well and as weird as it may seem...it was almost too balanced. How is that even possible???

WanderinCelt87 (195) - Hamburg, New Jersey, USA - FEB 8, 2014
Pours a nice black with tan head. Smell is malty and sweet with hints of raisins. Taste is sweet and malty that I was expecting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - OCT 19, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2011 2010 vintage served in a tulip with the vanilla bean and 2009 DL. Beer is black and thick in the glass. Coats the wall and the swirl leaves legs of alcohol on the walls. There isn’t a head or carbonation to speak of but it looks good. The aroma is slightly hot, oaky, with a lot of roast and a nice smoothness to it. Very liquor. Hints of vanilla, very subtle. Beer is full bodied and completely coats the mouth. Surprisingly smooth for such a high alcohol beer with such a strong aroma. The woodsiness of the beer mellows out the heat a lot. Lots of roast in the back palate. Drinkability good. Serving type: growler