overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 746   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Ireland’s first and last Ard Ri (high king) of the whole Gaelic race, Brian Boru was born in Munster Ireland around 940. His mother was killed by Vikings when he was a child. He spent his life uniting the Irish tribes to become the first king of Ireland, only to be killed at Clontarf on Good Friday, 1014 putting down a rebellion by the King of the province of Leinster. Brian Boru Irish Brand Red Ale is a very rich caramelly ale with toffee, citrus, and pineapple aroma. Brian Boru is brewed with several malts and Amarillo hops. Slainte!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ecbeerguy (86) - East Chicago, Indiana, USA - MAR 28, 2005
A very hoopy and fruity aroma. The moderate heads has a little staying power, but there’s plenty of lacing on my glass, from the bottled beer. It’s hoppy, but I expect that from the makers of Alpha King. It starts sweet, but it just didn’t do it for me. The hops produce a harsh aftertaste I just don’t appreciate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - MAR 27, 2005
Tap. Damn, another reason not to dislike Amber Ales. Caramel copper colored. Nice off-white head. Sweet and fruity aroma. At times this beast smells like Juicy Fruit gum. Initial sweetness is offset quickly by the Floyd’s judicious use of hops. Very piney at times. A well done Amber!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (5165) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 26, 2005
Bottle. Pours a ruby tinged copper. Medium foamy tanned head. Nose is very hoppy and piney. Not what I was expecting for an Irish Red Ale, although, were I to simply smell this, I think I could "pick out" Three Floyds. Taste is hoppy and piney but has a nice malty character to it and even some light hints of caramel despite how dominant the hop profile is. Body is medium with moderate carbonation and light lingering bitterness. Finish produces a reduced hop profile, some earthy notes, light caramel and some pleasant sweet maltiness. I want to say that there is some pumpernickel bread notes in here was well. Or is it poorly made rye bread (not a knock on 3F). Different and just what I was looking to drink after work!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gachupines (847) - USA - MAR 25, 2005
Interesting taste here, felt like I was drinking a combination of a red ale and an IPA. The amount of hops in this definitely puts a spin on the style. Overall I enjoyed it, but it probably won’t be a regular purchase.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - MAR 25, 2005
Clear copper body topped by a rocky manila head. Decent glass lace. The aroma is strong and hits you the second the cap is popped. And that aroma, contrary to what you might expect with a beer labeled Irish Red Ale, is loads of pine and citrus hops. There aren’t this many hops in all of Ireland, unless of course they replaced the potatoes with hops and that is why they had that famine. Anyhow... The flavor is not as nice as the aroma caramel and light bread trying to come through but like a street urchin in the hands of a drunk Irish cop the malt is being bashed into oblivion by the heavy hand of sire O’Hoppolly. Bitter throughout. Medium smooth palate. Decent enough and a liberal take on the style (call it Irish Red or Amber Ale).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 25, 2005
Intersting to say the least but for some reason it just didnt do it for me. First off the nose is hot. Lots of hops but not overly agressive. The taste has this hops in it and thats all good but there is this strange flavour that is supposed to be amber but to me it just doesnt do it. The others that had this with me absolutely loved it tho, so maybe its just me. Overall, not that bad and its from three floyds so you gotta give it a shot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Gadsden, Alabama, USA - MAR 24, 2005
Bought this on a whim. Very glad. Pours a tawny amber with more significant brown leanings than anything else. The aroma is sticky pine, and tangerine citrus hops. Spicy, floral, and crisp. The flavor consists of great malts. Lite sweetness where you can detect caramel, grain (biscuit?), and wood. Mineral. Well hoped but balanced with hop flavors including a start of grapefruit and orange, which moves to a spicy finish of hoppiness. The body is a bit more watery than I suspected but clean and solid. I’m not usually a big fan of red ale but I’d drink this all the time. Hello beer fridge!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ian2000gsxr (69) - USA - MAR 22, 2005
very hoppy smell with some citrus hints. taste is of pine and fruit with hops.. i agree with a few posts down.. this is just a slight change on the other three floyds brews. nothing super spectacular but it was good and now i have the bottle for my collection.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
green (186) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 21, 2005
Fridge Temp. A serious true red in a English pint. Smells just like a pack of hops pellets. Awesome. Flavor is more expansive hoppiness, not overwhelming or too much citrus. I am not getting the grapefruit everyone is describing, this seems much more piney and herbal to me than west coast hop monsters. Brilliant, eminently drinkable, I wish the was always in every beerstore in America. I need cases of this!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 19, 2005
UPDATED: APR 11, 2005 I don’t know what to say about this one except that this ain’t no Irish Ale, its a red IPA or amber ale. Lets see now, 3F have made a west coast IPA(Alpha King) and Imperial IPA(Dreadnaught), a black IPA(last years Alpha Klaus), a Barleywine IPA(Behemoth), a Imperial Stout IPA(Dark Lord), a white IPA Gumballhead Wheat and now a Red IPA(Brian Boru). First I’ll say I’ve enjoyed all of them, and with this one priced at between 5-6 a bottle I really apprecaited this one. I haven’t had all their beers but the ones I’ve had are getting repetitive.