overall

RATINGS: 357   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.37   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels including Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon barrel aged variants of Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Poured old motor oil black with a small brown lace. Sweet oak, bourbon, and dark baker’s chocolate on the nose. The flavors were sweet bourbon, vanilla, and dark chocolate with an oaky undertone and a little bit of cough drop coming through in the finish. Everything seemed to meld together really well until the cough drop thing. Still a very good beer overall. Since I couldn’t give the palate a 6 I had to bump up the overall to make up for it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BBB63 (5741) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Sampled a few times on DL day and even a few drops found their way onto my notepad for historical keeping: Maybe since I missed the chance to taste BA Speedway I was too hyped for the release of this beer and got grumpy waiting in line for my bottles of the "regular" DL 2006 release, but no matter I did not seem to enjoy this as much as I hoped.

That said, this beer is far from bad with it’s black hole opaque vision and beautiful oily cling to my snifter. The nose detected black strap molasses, vanilla and almond extract, french oak, raspberry, salty and mineral vapors with of the Dark Lord character of bakers chocolate and espresso.

The flavor is rich on mocha components blended with the high octane bourbon overtones. Just some of the flavors found were vanilla, walnut, snappy hops and charred espresso beans. Lots of alcohol too, perhaps too much which seemed to take away from the wonderful lingering aftertaste I have associated with DL. It seems to have thinned out the palate as well. That was Dark Lord domain, over-the-top lushness and oily sticky coating. Now it just seems like a good imperial, not all that.

Yes, a disappointment, if only all of life’s disappointments were so good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Number 1400 is a deusy. Oak aged Dark Lord. Time to wax poetic on this ambrosia. Sadly, it was poured into a frosted plastic cup. The color looked to be almost black with red hues crowned by a creamy brown head. Beautifully complex aroma of roasted coffee, bakers chocolate, bourbon, oak, raisins, brown sugar, molasses, and I’m sure I’ve missed something other than the plastic from the cup. Full and robust body but, alas, still missing that oily mouthfeel that made the 2004 Dark Lord so exceptional and caused you to continue tasting it long after you swallowed. So many things gong on in the flavor, teasing and tantalizing one’s taste buds. Rich and full notes of coffee and chocolate and bourbon. Others have given more justice to this syrupy elixir, so I refer you to their notes. For me, it was a wonderful drink tainted only by the questionable presentation of the brewery.

Terminus (3146) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAY 4, 2006
tap-dark lord day 06. After waiting in cattle line for the bombers of DL, this was really what i was wanting. This beer poured black with lots of sluggish carbonation. this beer was topped with a nice deep brown head-sticky as all hell. huge whisky aroma starts when cold. As it warmed, roast, char, expresso, dark chocolate, vanilla and maple sap started to emerge. Flavors are butterscotch, char, dark chocolate, bourbon, which give some burning tingle down the throat. body is full, lush, and sticky. this one is definately a fine beer, but i would rather just have a regular 2005 dark lord myself. As the beer warmed, the beer actually started to show some signs of its year age in the malt profile. A little dusty/oxidization note came out. Definately the beer i was expecting, but a little too much for me. one sample served me well!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Appears a dark black with a small tan head that fades into a a gentle tan collar. Smell is of rich maple sweet vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, fresh brownie batter, and raisins. Mouthfeel is heavy on the palate, warming, sweet, raisiny, and sticky with a mildly rich burn in the swallow. Drinkability is pretty good on this despite the instant warming bourbon burn that makes it pretty intense with an alcohol presence. Nice!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (8521) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Poured a dark black with reddish/brown edges and an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of wood, bourbon, chocolate, roast and dark fruits, Tastes of wood, stronger bourbon, vanilla, roast, chocolate, brown sugar, espresso, and molasses. Medium alcohol finish. I do like bourbon so I enjoyed the bourbon quality to this.

DrnkMcDermott (2748) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Tiny snifter at Floyds on Dark Lord Day. Solid black well of souls lurks under a tiny rim of foam, which has given up in its attempt to brighten up this evil brew and now clings panting for its last breath to the side of the glass. A dizzying smell of coffee, maple, vanilla and molasses. Taste... um, um, Thick. Heady. Oaky. Slides down the throat like an oily serpent marinated in Kahlua and vanilla extract. Smooth alcohol nonetheless goes right to my forebrain and shuts off higher functions. Complexity… um… just starting to be known. Notes of cola… wintergreen… cherries. Rough on the back of the throat, but not astringent like other strong stouts. The dividing line between this and a truly fine liquer is… um…
<table width=90% halign=center><tr><td> </td><td>I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Dave.
Dave, my mind is going.
I can feel it. I can feel it.
My mind is going. There is no question about it.
I’m a... fraid.

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it I can sing it for you.
It’s called "Daisy."
Daisy, Dai…sy, give me your an…swer do. I’m… half… cra…zy all for the love of you. It won’t be a styl… ish marriage, I can’t a…fford… a carriage…. But you’ll… look sweet up… on… the seat of a bi… cy… cle built… for… two…. </td></tr></table>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TomDecapolis (4394) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Rating #666...and what a way to celebrate it. Pours a dark black with some red hints with a darker creamy tan head. Aroma of the oak and bourbon does stand out along with the chocolate, coffee, alcohol, vanilla and caramel I was expecting from Dark Lord. Flavor of vanilla, chocolate, coffee and the oak but less detectable than in the aroma. After taste of a great vanilla cappuccino.

JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Sipping a big goblet full of this black, oily, hazy topped berzerker, I pondered the whole madness surrounding the recent Dark Lord release fiasco. The forum threads had a circus-like atmosphere with ugly attitudes and greedy tones that made me feel like I was reading a forum completely foreign to me. I wanted a case of Dark Lord and I wanted to try this barrel aged beer, which contains every bit of chocolatey, rough espresso edged goodness I expected, delivered in a malty, oaky, alcoholic envelope of teeth clenching bourbon., warming my stomach and sticking like glue to the sides of my tongue. Personally, I’d rather not stand in line for $180 worth of beer that I used to get in $20 growlers, but I completely understand supply and demand (I often spend $250 on an urban vinyl toy that sold-out for $100 just minutes before). I rather enjoy when the pub is filled up and rowdy, too, almost as much as I enjoy it’s quiter moments, but the thought of seeing the people who had recently caused such goofy fury on the forums and being directly associated with that forum made me rethink the reasons why I’ve been a member of ratebeer for the last 50 months. For the first time I didn’t want to go to Three Floyds directly because of my association to Ratebeer! Rating beer was a lot of fun, meeting people was tenfold the fun but now I feel that the ratings and racking of numbers and boorish forum behavior has cheapened the experience for me. I can honestly say that I didn’t want to be a part of the Ratebeer group that rallied at the Pub last weekend. I value many of you as friends on an individual basis, so I hope I’m not coming off sounding elitist or rude. I have met a ton of great people because of Ratebeer and will continue to keep in touch with many of the people here, but through emails and other routes. I also found myself using Ratebeer forums as an outlet for my own grumpiness sometimes and that’s not what this site is supposed to be about. I’m not putting anybody down here, these are my personal thoughts and nobody is being singled out. I will move along through the World of new beers on my own, with fond memories of the great times here at Ratebeer. Joe & Admins, keep up the great work and I’ll continue to point people to this site, like I have for over 4 years now. I’ll buy you all pints when I run into you! Cheers- Joe Marinaro (aka Marinaro500 aka RatedX)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 1, 2006
So glad I made it to the brew pub for a couple glasses of this...I was the guy in the tux, who was really hung over and then almost late to be in his friend’s wedding! A thick,dark black with creamy dark brown head. Mild bourbon, dark chocolate and alcoholic aroma. Bourbon immediately hits as you drink...but the coffee, chocolate and vanilla flavors come soon after. Very, very tasty. Thick as hell and the taste lasts forever. I’m loving the BA stouts...and this is right up there with Full Sail Black Gold as one of my favorites so far.