Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 360   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.37   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels including Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon barrel aged variants of Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

Admin Note: This beer was not released as usual in April 2014 and has been retired.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - MAY 11, 2006
UPDATED: APR 23, 2007 Suppose I should finally put my rating in. Sampled at the brewpub on DL Day. Served in a small maybe 5.5oz plastic cup. Color was an obvious pitch black, almost nothing getting through. Head was a small dark brown one I’d expect on a nice cup of coffee. Aroma is huge chocolate and coffee, then come the bourbon, molasses and caramel/vanilla things. Flavor is like a dark chocolate stout milkshake. Thick and filling. Bourbon adds a bite to a smooth and well made imperial stout. Good stuff!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpringsLicker (3127) - Tennessee, USA - MAY 10, 2006
Thanks to MrFacto for taking all the S*T that he got for being generous enough to send this to a few folks who couldn’t make it to FFF. On top of that, he only asked that I send him some good homebrews for the trade! One of the better barrel beers that I’ve had. I don’t give out perfect scores, and the only detractor was that a small fleeting head would have fit the style better. Undoubtedly this was from the re-bottle so figure my appearance score upwards in your head if you choose to. Black, oily and coating the glass as it’s swirled. Rich alcoholic yet restrained bourbon aroma. Notes of licorice and raisins come easily. This is one that can be enjoyed for the aroma alone. I don’t like bourbon, but there is plenty of good Imperial Stout aroma so that the bourbon doesn’t take this one over. Thick, sweet, smooth and very well balanced by roasty bitterness. Again, very well done and one of the better attempts to meld a Big Imperial Stout and a barrel that I’ve had. Thanks Matt for the chance to share and try this one!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAY 8, 2006
Draft @ 3F on DL06: This beer lives up to the hype. Poured thick and black with a perfectly creamy brown head. The aroma had a strong but just the right amount of bourbon mixed with dark chocolate, dark fruit and dark roast. This is the Dark Lord. The flavor was very nice. Vanilla, chocolate and bourbon with coffee and fruit underneath. This was full bodied and creamy. Nice and warming on a damp day. The pour had run over the sides of the glass and it was so thick and sticky that my skin was stuck to the glass. I could have let go and it never would have left my hand. When the glass was empty I sadly had to pry it from my fingers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Poured old motor oil black with a small brown lace. Sweet oak, bourbon, and dark baker’s chocolate on the nose. The flavors were sweet bourbon, vanilla, and dark chocolate with an oaky undertone and a little bit of cough drop coming through in the finish. Everything seemed to meld together really well until the cough drop thing. Still a very good beer overall. Since I couldn’t give the palate a 6 I had to bump up the overall to make up for it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BBB63 (6013) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Sampled a few times on DL day and even a few drops found their way onto my notepad for historical keeping: Maybe since I missed the chance to taste BA Speedway I was too hyped for the release of this beer and got grumpy waiting in line for my bottles of the "regular" DL 2006 release, but no matter I did not seem to enjoy this as much as I hoped.

That said, this beer is far from bad with it’s black hole opaque vision and beautiful oily cling to my snifter. The nose detected black strap molasses, vanilla and almond extract, french oak, raspberry, salty and mineral vapors with of the Dark Lord character of bakers chocolate and espresso.

The flavor is rich on mocha components blended with the high octane bourbon overtones. Just some of the flavors found were vanilla, walnut, snappy hops and charred espresso beans. Lots of alcohol too, perhaps too much which seemed to take away from the wonderful lingering aftertaste I have associated with DL. It seems to have thinned out the palate as well. That was Dark Lord domain, over-the-top lushness and oily sticky coating. Now it just seems like a good imperial, not all that.

Yes, a disappointment, if only all of life’s disappointments were so good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Number 1400 is a deusy. Oak aged Dark Lord. Time to wax poetic on this ambrosia. Sadly, it was poured into a frosted plastic cup. The color looked to be almost black with red hues crowned by a creamy brown head. Beautifully complex aroma of roasted coffee, bakers chocolate, bourbon, oak, raisins, brown sugar, molasses, and I’m sure I’ve missed something other than the plastic from the cup. Full and robust body but, alas, still missing that oily mouthfeel that made the 2004 Dark Lord so exceptional and caused you to continue tasting it long after you swallowed. So many things gong on in the flavor, teasing and tantalizing one’s taste buds. Rich and full notes of coffee and chocolate and bourbon. Others have given more justice to this syrupy elixir, so I refer you to their notes. For me, it was a wonderful drink tainted only by the questionable presentation of the brewery.

Terminus (3231) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAY 4, 2006
tap-dark lord day 06. After waiting in cattle line for the bombers of DL, this was really what i was wanting. This beer poured black with lots of sluggish carbonation. this beer was topped with a nice deep brown head-sticky as all hell. huge whisky aroma starts when cold. As it warmed, roast, char, expresso, dark chocolate, vanilla and maple sap started to emerge. Flavors are butterscotch, char, dark chocolate, bourbon, which give some burning tingle down the throat. body is full, lush, and sticky. this one is definately a fine beer, but i would rather just have a regular 2005 dark lord myself. As the beer warmed, the beer actually started to show some signs of its year age in the malt profile. A little dusty/oxidization note came out. Definately the beer i was expecting, but a little too much for me. one sample served me well!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Appears a dark black with a small tan head that fades into a a gentle tan collar. Smell is of rich maple sweet vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, fresh brownie batter, and raisins. Mouthfeel is heavy on the palate, warming, sweet, raisiny, and sticky with a mildly rich burn in the swallow. Drinkability is pretty good on this despite the instant warming bourbon burn that makes it pretty intense with an alcohol presence. Nice!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (8867) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Poured a dark black with reddish/brown edges and an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of wood, bourbon, chocolate, roast and dark fruits, Tastes of wood, stronger bourbon, vanilla, roast, chocolate, brown sugar, espresso, and molasses. Medium alcohol finish. I do like bourbon so I enjoyed the bourbon quality to this.

DrnkMcDermott (2792) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Tiny snifter at Floyds on Dark Lord Day. Solid black well of souls lurks under a tiny rim of foam, which has given up in its attempt to brighten up this evil brew and now clings panting for its last breath to the side of the glass. A dizzying smell of coffee, maple, vanilla and molasses. Taste... um, um, Thick. Heady. Oaky. Slides down the throat like an oily serpent marinated in Kahlua and vanilla extract. Smooth alcohol nonetheless goes right to my forebrain and shuts off higher functions. Complexity… um… just starting to be known. Notes of cola… wintergreen… cherries. Rough on the back of the throat, but not astringent like other strong stouts. The dividing line between this and a truly fine liquer is… um…
<table width=90% halign=center><tr><td> </td><td>I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Dave.
Dave, my mind is going.
I can feel it. I can feel it.
My mind is going. There is no question about it.
I’m a... fraid.

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it I can sing it for you.
It’s called "Daisy."
Daisy, Dai…sy, give me your an…swer do. I’m… half… cra…zy all for the love of you. It won’t be a styl… ish marriage, I can’t a…fford… a carriage…. But you’ll… look sweet up… on… the seat of a bi… cy… cle built… for… two…. </td></tr></table>