overall

RATINGS: 376   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.36   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels including Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon barrel aged variants of Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

DrnkMcDermott's rating

DrnkMcDermott (2912) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Tiny snifter at Floyds on Dark Lord Day. Solid black well of souls lurks under a tiny rim of foam, which has given up in its attempt to brighten up this evil brew and now clings panting for its last breath to the side of the glass. A dizzying smell of coffee, maple, vanilla and molasses. Taste... um, um, Thick. Heady. Oaky. Slides down the throat like an oily serpent marinated in Kahlua and vanilla extract. Smooth alcohol nonetheless goes right to my forebrain and shuts off higher functions. Complexity… um… just starting to be known. Notes of cola… wintergreen… cherries. Rough on the back of the throat, but not astringent like other strong stouts. The dividing line between this and a truly fine liquer is… um…
<table width=90% halign=center><tr><td> </td><td>I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Dave.
Dave, my mind is going.
I can feel it. I can feel it.
My mind is going. There is no question about it.
I’m a... fraid.

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it I can sing it for you.
It’s called "Daisy."
Daisy, Dai…sy, give me your an…swer do. I’m… half… cra…zy all for the love of you. It won’t be a styl… ish marriage, I can’t a…fford… a carriage…. But you’ll… look sweet up… on… the seat of a bi… cy… cle built… for… two…. </td></tr></table>

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mstrcrwly (698) - New York, USA - AUG 9, 2015
Bottle tasting at jtclockworks..jet black almost no head..aroma of bourbon,molasses,coffee,vanilla, ..tastes of bourbon,coffee,licorice,molasses..bit disappointi

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ebone1988 (423) - Taylor, Michigan, USA - AUG 8, 2015
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2015 Sample at Great Taste of the Midwest. Aroma is bourbon barrel, roasted malt, vanilla amazing. Appearance is black, thick, brown head. Taste is sweet, soy, barrel, vanilla, chocolate. Mouthfeel is thick, great carbonation, oily and wonderful. Overall, this one is quite disappointing for the hype.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
ctipping (276) - Florida, USA - JUL 29, 2015
750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2015 bottle. Bottle #454 of 603. Viscous black body. Small khaki head. Thin collar. Aroma is very nutty. Dark chocolate. Not much distinct bourbon. Lots of sugar. Not quite soy sauce, but it’s close to that. Outrageously sweet taste. Caramel. Dark chocolate. I get some bourbon here, but it’s still not a standout flavor. That pseudo-soy-sauce flavor sneaks in into the finish. Heavy and sweet. Medium low carbonation and tingly carbonation. This just isn’t pleasant to drink. Absurdly sweet. Quite a struggle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jtclockwork (11041) - , New Jersey, USA - JUL 29, 2015
Bottle. Etched glass. Thanks Jacob - Pours black no head - Nose/taste of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and sweet chocolate - full body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
vtafro (4929) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - JUL 28, 2015
Bottle. Black pour with tan head. Bourbon, oak, chocolate, vanilla, toffee and caramel aromas. Sweet sugar bomb, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, bourbon and oak tones.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Couch0508 (119) - Flat rock, Michigan, USA - JUL 18, 2015
Did not live upto the hype. Not bad but this came with a lot of hype and it did not come through.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
umich03jm (2844) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - JUL 9, 2015
2015 bottle. 414 of 603. Thanks Couch! Aromas are chocolate syrup, light cooked vegetable, vanilla beans. Also seems like cognac aged more than bourbon. Tastes very smooth. Loads of chocolate syrup, sweet booze and vanilla. Light oak too. Thin to medium body. Very good but considering how highly rated this is, it’s slightly disappointing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Homer321 (2843) - Melboring, Florida, USA - JUL 3, 2015
Bottle. Boozy dominant nose with some light pepper and licorice. Slight hint of a smaller bottle count. Light coffee. Slightly more hearty and beefy in taste. Very solid. Very light coffee. Overall a yummy beer but vanilla seems a bit smoother.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beechner224 (957) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JUL 3, 2015
Bottle to glass. Bottle 342 of 688. Pours black with tan head, very similar to bourbon vanilla. Taste is sweet, sticky, thick, yum. Super thick and good, previous rate was better, but the website cleared, shit. It’s really good and really strong, I need an insulin shot.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
zootfinster (215) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 16, 2015
There is no reason to add more to what has already been said. I saw this a few years ago at a bottle store. There looked to be a couple of cases.I was in a hurry so left deciding to return later. I did, about 3 hours later and there were 2 bottles left. of which I naturally bought, I’ll probably not have it again. Im too old for the crowds in Munster for Dark Lords Day but what a fantastic beer, That;s all that need be said