overall

RATINGS: 1805   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
amorphiss (35) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - MAY 2, 2007
í07 Silver Wax Bottle. Dark black viscous pour with very little carbonation or head. Awesome aroma of apple pie, pear, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, malt, must. Taste is chocolate, dark intense coffee, sweet fruits. Very viscous mouthfeel, this is nice. I like this í07 batch way better than my í06 bottles last year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - MAY 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2007 Bottle í05. thick black pour with a frothy tan head that dissapates quickly. Sweet vanilla aroma with some slight leather and must notes. Thick and somewhat astringent with soy sauce notes. I had hoped for more from this, Iíll rerate with one of my 06 bottles.

DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 1, 2007
UPDATED: APR 27, 2008 2007 bottle with silver wax. This is my most anticipated beer I have had so far so it has a lot to live up to. Pours pitch black with a tiny bit of rusty bubbles that soon form a circle and disappear forever. In the glass it is dark black with a deep red color around the edges. As I drink the beer it stains the glass brown and stays that way. Very cool looking. The aroma improves as it warms up, peaking close to room temperature. Very roasty and chocolatey at first. After awhile there is some alcohol underneath but it is not unpleasant or overpowering in any way, which is impressive with such a new bottle. The first sip I notice first the extreme richness and the ridiculous thickness in the mouth. This has the best mouthfeel of any beer Iíve ever had. Extremely thick, creamy, and chewy. The chocolate and roastiness come through in the flavor in a big way with some bitter coffee, chocolate covered cherries, and some hops buried in there somewhere. I can feel the alcohol warmth but cannot taste any. Amazingly balanced and complex. This lived up to the hype and I honestly cannot see any flaws. I canít wait to see how this ages.

Re-rate. Almost a year exactly after I tried this, my highest rated beer, I figured I should revisit it with the new vintage being released. In the last 364 days I have been able to try the 07 version half a dozen more times plus an 05 and an 06. All have been different, sometimes Iím disappointed and sometimes Iím blown away. The 5.0 rating stands for the first time I ever tried this. I am not entirely sure it is truly a 5.0 beer but I was blown away that first time and my rating will stay to reflect that.

The black waxed, 08 version releases intense aromas from feet away when I pop the cap. It pours that same beautiful, extremely dark and thick black color with a rusty cap. The head formation and retention are better at such a young age than I expected. First aroma detected is intense cherry. If I didnít know what this was Iíd think itís a cherry stout. Fresh, ripe cherries, not that aged dark fruit smell that some other imperial stouts smell like. Other aromas are chocolate cake with vanilla icing, pudding, slight coffee, chocolate covered cherries. I know of no other beer that smells like this. Flavor is rich as hell, smooth, sweet with a wonderful balanced fresh fruit flavor with some chocolate. Creamy, chocolate cake and brownies, mocha. Super long finish thatís fairly bitter, full mouthfeel (but of course). The heaviness in the mouth is just gorgeous, something I now crave in all imperial stouts but very few provide without being cloying. Itís hard to compare the 07 and 08 versions to decide which is better. Suffice to say this beer still rocks.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2008 22 oz bomber. Silver wax (2007). Pours black, no head... a syrupy dark liquid which leaves brown resin on the glass when gently swirled. Smells perfect... a nice blend of bitter chocolate (!), coffee, and something sweet... dark fruits and I guess what must be the molasses. Feels so smooth in the mouth, and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden, but noticeable. (Isnít that a given at 13%?) Gets better and better as it warms. This stuff left my once-clean glass looking like I spent a day rinsing paintbrushes in it. Absolutely fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BigJoe7231 (25) - Schererville, Indiana, USA - APR 30, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2008 This is pretty much the Holy Grail of stouts. Now I truly understand why thereís such a huge deal about this stuff. Like the label on the bottle says "the consistency of motor oil and hints of chocolate, coffee and molasses." I wonít bother giving it my own description----itís just one of those stouts where you have to try it in order to understand itís potency and flavor. One of the best Iíve ever had. If anyone ever has anything negative to say about Dark Lord, they obviously have no taste buds....or they have their head in their ass. See you all there next year....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - APR 29, 2007
2007 silver waxed bomber. Pours black with a thin dark tan head that eventually fades to a thick ring and a thin film. Huge aroma of roasted malts, dark chocolate, vanilla, raisins, molasses, char, cherries, alcohol. There are some faint oats as well. Coffee and roasted malts are at the forefront of the flavor, and vinous characteristics show up next. Molasses, vanilla, cherries, and oats appear as well. There was some light salted nuts and soy somewhere in there. Roasty semidry finish with some alcohol warmth. This is incredibly well balanced--every time I want to say itís sweet some pleasant bitterness rears its head. Low carbonation with a full creamy body. I do not believe I was disappointed--delicious. I never did get to try the 2004 to see the amount of sludge, but I was told the 2007 had almost as much--my bottle didnít, just a thick film at the bottom.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - APR 29, 2007
Sampled at the Woodshop Tasting. Poured black in color with a nice tan head. The aroma was alcohol, chocolate, roast, dates, dark fruits, oats and some vanilla. Flavor was big and rich with a smooth alcohol taste. Now I see why itís rated so high.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2007
Bottle, 2007 release. Wow - thanks sersdf. Dark, espresso black pour with a dense nut brown head. Aroma is suprisingly subtle - chocolate, smoke, dates, raisins, hops, alcohol, cherries. Flavor is excellent but sweet - huge malt, roasted nuts, smoked meat flavor, borderline savory. Excellent lingering bitter finish, hugely smooth. Mouthfeel is all silk, but I wouldíve like a tad more carbonation. An superb beer, but, as far as the style goes, I prefer speedway and expedition - but nothing to turn your nose up at.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
illkarate (115) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 28, 2007
Just returned from Dark Lord Day... cracked open the 2007 release. Consistency of motor oil, hazelnut colored head, quickly dissipating. Huge mouthfeel, chocolate, coffee, molasses, vanilla. Seems like it might make sense to cellar this for a year... or two. Good for now, might be great later.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mreusch (851) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - APR 25, 2007
2005 (orange wax) bomber, courtesy of kp as a BONUS, major thanks! Pours a syrupy dark black with a slow forming dark tan head that slowly disappears. Strong aroma of espresso, nuts, vanilla, molasses and chocolate, with a variety of other interesting aromas that come out on a swirl of the snifter. Flavor is almost like a really nice shot of espresso, with a similar profile from start to finish, even down to a slight bitter bite on the backend. Palate is full, a bit oily, and creamy. I think overall this is a great IS, and seems to deliver on all the hype, but think I would take some of the other highly rated Impy Stouts every bit (if not more) than this. Either way glad to be able to give it a try!