overall

RATINGS: 1647   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 21, 2006
Bottle thanks to Hezron as a bonus beer in my first RB trade. Unfortunately, I donít think that I have the vacabulary yet to do this justice. Interestingly, when I first poured, smelled and tasted, it didnít really do much for me. I mean, it was a solid beer, but I didnít see where it came in as #1. Either as it warmed or oxidized (I started at around 55 degrees), though, it really came alive. Again, I donít really have the words to describe all that this was, but it was a unique experience. Unlike the other "big" imperial stouts Iíve had (Speedway, Expedition, Stone, DFH, Mephisopheles, Siberian Night, etc), this one was really balanced. Not just bitter/malty balanced, but across the board. Most of the other ISs are wonderful, but really hit you over the head with something: alcohol, sweetness, smokiness, fruits, coffee, etc. The Dark Lord, though, especially as it progressed, contained all of these elements in a wonderful dance that I can only describe as unique. I wish I had better words to communicate my experience. While it doesnít have any significant attention grabbing attribute, itís such a well engineered total experience that I was, at the end of the glass if not the start, blown away.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAR 19, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2006 2006 bottle. Very thick body and a lot of chocolate, alcohol, raisin, coffee, and smoke in the flavor and aroma. Very sweet. Should mellow very well w/ age, but I really like it young.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jsquire (3387) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2006
I have had this beer on tap several times, as well as the red wax and orange wax bottles. Usually Iím too involved in the beer to take coherent notes which is why it has taken me so long to rate this. If you get the chance, get this on tap as that is the best way to experience this beer. This rating and score are really based on the orange wax bottle I just drank. Very dark beer with reddish hues around the edge of my snifter. Foamy brown head that reduced to a lasting foam ring. This is a thick, viscous liquid that coats the glass when swirled. Complex nose of coffee, bitter chocolate, molasses and charcoal. Coffee bitterness in the flavor, with rye bread, burnt cocoa, vanilla, and an almost celery leaf green sensation in the finish. As it warms the finish kicks in with sweetened coffee. I may have to bump up my numbers after having this again on tap, but the bottle, while great, isnít the same.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sersdf (1015) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2007 bomber. thick as hell, pretty smoky aroma. poured like castor oil. first half of the glass was superb. tasty, lingering, complex. taste buds shot, the second half was hard to appreciate. a whole bomber would have been too much for one sitting... rerate. had on cask at the NotLA. not nearly as good, but i wonít change my rating. it was thin and alcoholic... rerate: kicks ass. first time iíve had it in 2 years, this was the í07. very very sweet, tons of chocolate. a little acidic was my only complaint. it wasnít sludgy as so many have claimed. it was pure awesomeness.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2007 Sample BI Indy gathering 2/25/06 - Aroma of roasted chocolate malt, coffee, alcohol, hops, and vanilla. Pours black with small brown head and good lacing. Flavor matches aroma and is big, no question. Palate is sticky and filled with alcohol. This is a big tasty brew and maybe I need to sit down with a whole bottle a fight it out to see if itís worthy of the hype.

05/25/07 DL verticle 05-07 - my score is the same even though all three were very distinct. I admit to not taking good notes on the differences which was pretty stupid. What I remember is the older the bottle, the better with the 07 being very sweet and a little too smooth for such a huge brew. I will say the same thing I did the first time I sampled it, I need to start out with this brew instead of it being the last one of a tasting to really get a solid rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - MAR 2, 2006
Coffee nose, with a rich black color. Huge coffee, burbon taste with some malt and toffee. Extremely smooth with a pleasant finish that lingers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SunSkates (47) - Arkansas, USA - FEB 26, 2006
After drinking, itís obvious why this beer is so highly rated. I canít believe I got to try it; thanks again doppelganger. Dark chocolate, raisins, licorice, cough syrup and alcohol in aroma (a very robust aroma, mind you). Surprisingly biting bitterness that lingers and combines with cherries and heaps of dry dark chocolate. Full bodied with hot finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 26, 2006
The Beer. The Myth. The Legend. So it just happened that my very first DL came to me at the INDY Tasting 2/25. Thanks to Yankee for this one! This was an í04 bottle. This mammoth of a beer pours black with a medium dark tan head that has highlights of rust color in it. The head fades away and leaves nice lacing. You can see how abnormally huge this beer is when swirled in the glass. The viscosity is amazingly large. The aroma was HUGE!! Notes of chocolate, caramel, alcohol, vanilla, smoked meats, and more chocolate!! Once again, a HUGE flavor! Very sweet off the bat as soon as it touches your lips, this soon fades to an alcohol, vanilla, and chocolate. This soon gives way to a bittering coffee alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is slick and oily, this stuff will be picked out of your teeth for days!! So Thick! This beer lived up to be exactly what I expected. HUGE HUGE HUGE... I can not wait to get more!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mkgrenwel (564) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 21, 2006
Enormous thanks to TAR for this bottle. This beer has it all. Fantastic thick mouthfeel that feels like it envelops your entire body the moment it touches your lips. This stuff is so dense the glass feels extra heavy. Just about everything you could hope for is in here, including (but not limited to) roasted malt, alcohol, hops, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, licorice, cherry, oak, toffee, bitterness. Somehow nothing is in charge. Each sip brings something completely new. It is the ultimate drinking experience to be able to seek out and focus on anything you choose. This is THE king (or should I say Lord) of imperial stouts. I donít think this could be outdone.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
imzugzug (103) - Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 12, 2006
Acquired via a trade and shared with buds at my favorite bar. I was so worried that this couldnít possibly live up to the hype and expectations. I was wrong! The pour was a perfect pitch black with a stunning thick head that coated the glass like motor oil. My nose was overwhelmed with chocolate!! Also detectible but definitely more subtle was malt and coffee. It smelled like someting youíd pour over vanilla ice cream. Taste was all chocolate and malts up front, just incredible. The back end was very hoppy and almost grassy, true to 3Fís form. Alcohol was evident but not obnoxious. My friend said it felt like his tongue was wearing a warm and fuzzy wool sweater when he was done drinking this, I agree. Greatful to have had the chance to try it and even more greatful for having been able to share it.