overall

RATINGS: 1684   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2005
Was very pleased to finally get to try this after all the hype. Had a very burnt arma and flavor. Nutty and charcoal. like my stout had a barbeque appearance. however, it was pretty saweet, especially out of a coffee cup at 6 AM. had a very creamy feel to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 16, 2005
UPDATED: APR 13, 2008 22oz bottle, 05 vintage. Opaque black with big foamy dark beige head. Coffee, caramel, toffee, and a bracing of alcohol in the aroma. Roast malt, dark chocolate, and vanilla bean flavors. Viscous almost to a fault. Mouthfeel is that of a malted milkshake.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - JUN 16, 2005
Bottled. I had great expectations to this beer and they were all fulfilled. Black appearance. Viscid texture. Toffee and coffee dominate the flavour. Finish is presenting you for a great creamy chocolate experience. There are so many different experiences in this brew, it completely overwhelms you. It like a damn good liquid chocolate cake. Unforgetalbe, unbeatable!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUN 15, 2005
Bottle. Big thanks to robanion. Nose-grape, dark fruits, coffee, fig, and dates. Body is inky black with a ring of bubbles. taste-bitter, grape, lots of dark chocolate, and tannins. Reminds me of the taste of chocolate baking powder. Very dry. The tannins and richness really come out as it warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kevin (2103) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 14, 2005
lets see here, i am told i have a bottle of the dark lord awaiting me thanks to the largess of robanion. i am excited, very excited. then i here that bierkoning has a friend coming into the dallas area and is interested in a few beers to trade, so lump and i decide that we will give up some of our prized beers. i give some that i have not had, as does he. then he tells me, i gave him the dark lord, i think, just for a moment mind you, damn you kristian(sp?), i wanted that beer. then i am reminded that robanion supplied us with 2, so we are good. what follows is the notes of that beer split between lumpy and myself tonight while hanging at his house and watching bad cable tv, thanks for the beer robanion, hope you like the beers chritian(sp?) strong roasted aroma and more than a bit of alcohol, fruit notes of raspberry, cherry, coffee, lots of coffee. very amarettoish. thick mouthfeel. a rush of flavors come through in this viscous syrup of joy noteably: chocolate, strawberry, mocha, espresso, donuts, and caramel. the finish is wonderful. the alcohol accentuates everything nicely and leaves a chocolate brownie flavor. there is a lingering cherry flavor to go with the warming nature of this beer. this is a great impy, this reminds me of a well made chocolate mallt at the malt shop in anna.simply fantastic. thanks again robanion

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
IMtheOptimator (1161) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - JUN 12, 2005
Thanks to jables for this beer.

Poured black with a small creamy mocha head. Tilting the snifter allows the beer to coat the sides. Aroma is extremely rich... cocoa, molasses, dark fruits. Sweet, invigorating, wonderful. The first aroma that I honestly canít think of how to improve upon. The taste is terrific in its own right. Chocolate, dark fruits, a small touch of roasted coffee, with a mild sweetness and a dry finish. I canít really taste the alcohol, which surprises me. Much more balanced than I expected. A brilliantly crafted beer worthy of the praise bestowed upon it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ughsmash (7182) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 11, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2008 2005 Bottle @ The Map Room. Poured a deep deep black with a syrupy consistency. Low-profile, but powerfully dense brown head. Aroma had just about everything good that you can put into a beer... coffee, molasses, roasted malts, dark fruits, alcohol. Those flavors and more hit the palate with tremendous force. Subtlety is not the Dark Lordís style, and I would have been dissapointed if it hadnít been so thick. Alcohol was well-subdued by the power of the other flavors... aside from a bit of a warming effect going down, and what happens when you decide to stand up again :) Balance was very good. Finish was long and full of coffee and a little bourbon.

2008 bottle thanks to David & Blake. Poured thick, deeper black with a short creamy cap of deep tan head. The aroma picked up heavier dark chocolate, molasses, and vinous notes with heavy pine and almost citrusy hoppage.. rather spicy on the back. The flavor had rich molasses, chocolate, and vanilla with spicy pine and citrusy bitterness.. heavier yet on the back with a warm, but well-balanced finish.. tasty! Thick and viscous on the palate with lots of bitterness and heavy malts.. well-balanced. 8 5 9 5 18

Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - JUN 10, 2005
2005 bottle. Roasty, chocolate and coffee, light caramel, fair amount of alcohol noticeable. Black, thin brown head. Very roasty flavor, lots of coffee and chocolate, some charcoal, moderate fruitiness, lots of residual sweetness but itís balanced by alcohol and roasty bitterness. Full body but some astringency from the roast grains. Full and interesting, but didnít live up to expectations.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
madsberg (10459) - SÝborg, DENMARK - JUN 10, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2009 Bottled 2004 version: Pours a thick pitch black coloured fluid into the glass. On top an impressive brown dense head saying "Come and get me if you dare". First pour was without any sediment. Got a second pour with some sediment, which wasnít as tasty as 1. pour, but still quite goood. Chocolate, dades, alcohol and coffee mingled with a light roastyness is hitting your nose. Some spices there as well. Flavour is spiced, fruity, alcoholdense, has coffeenotes and is surprisingly smooth. Very good beer this is. The bourbon barral charackter definately is there, but not as evident as in other barral aged beers. The end is smooth coffee and light roast. Delicious. Great stuff IMO. Many thanks to my secret santa BBB63 for this. Now I can only sit and wait for the 2005 release, which is on it way across the atlantic from Raindog. I can hardly wait. Bottled. 2007 version. This is an immense beer as well. Have to raise the flavour rate by 1. Other than that my impression is more or less the same.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DarkElf (3035) - La Jolla, California, USA - JUN 10, 2005
(22 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with Eyedrinkale, thanks Mike!) 2005 vintage.

DarkElf vs. Dark Lord

Iíve been looking forward to trying this beer more than any other beer out there, except maybe a Westy 12. And finally, the fateful evening has arrived when I confidently enter the realm of the all-powerful Dark Lord. Evil abounds in this eerie world, and in the distance, I hear his chilling snarl, but I am unafraid for he is surely no match for the mighty DarkElf! I catch him dozing, and with amazing steath, I cockily attempt to open the bottle, but he quickly awakens and is not beaten easily. The draping orange wax isnít wax at all, but a tough plastic shell that requires a meticulous battle plan to pry off the cap without destroying the orange seal. But I eventually am victorious, vanquishing my haughty foe with unparalleled brilliance and skill. I have won the opening skirmish, but apparently the war has just begun -- as I pour the beer, I can smell the alcohol before I even take a sip. I make a feeble attempt to savor the nose, but with the alcoholic aroma calling me like the Sirensí Song, impatience overcomes me as I rush into the next battle, taking my first sip, unprepared for the assault on my taste buds. This is simply a massive, over the top beer in every respect. In the Dark Lordís lair, nothing is subtle. Whatever I taste, I taste in great quantities. Dark, bitter, burnt roastiness, chocolaty, with sweet cherries juxtaposed by a strong grapefruit hoppiness. And oh, the cursed alcohol! The tide has turned in this battle as Iím beginning to feel a bit light headed after just a few sips. I swing my sword, flailing wildly, missing my target as the Dark Lord taunts me with his deep, evil laugh. Strong roast, chocolate, cherry and alcohol dominate the nose, the massive aromas extending his dominion. Big, thick, rich, full bodied palate, somewhat syrupy, fully coating the mouth with a dense viscosity as thick as his breastplate. Black-as-night color is as evil and sinister as the Dark Lord himself, as dark in color as his demonic shadow. A touch of mahogany at the edges gives me some hope for victory, but with another sip, he silences me with a mighty roar. Light brown head quickly fades to a moderate ring, but he is unphased by this minor weakness. As I finish the glass (which is still only half the bottle), my senses are fogging. I fear I am beaten. Damn the Dark Lord, damn him to hell. I bow before greatness. He is Lord. The mighty Dark Lord, my eternal master.