overall

RATINGS: 1668   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sprinkle (114) - Arcadia, Michigan, USA - MAY 8, 2005
Weak on the nose, yet that is all I have to say this beer is lacking, too noticable alcohol. nice molassas and vanilla. Huge mouthfeel, and richness of taste! I NEED MORE!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2005 Stare into this glass... just stare into the ebony whirlpool...what is it that roils just there under the surface? Where? What do you mean where? ...Why canít you see it?... Just there...it was...it WAS right there! Dear God! Itís gone! Or am I feverish...is it my head that spins or the room...? I stagger, clutching at the rim, scrawny fingers slipping, and then...Iím reeling headlong into that terrible black maw that yawns to receive me... Suddenly I canít breathe! Which way is up, for godís sake? I suck desperately for air, for one last pathetic bit of life...But why do I struggle so...why do I try so fearfully to hold on...why donít I... just...let...go...? And so, just like that, I do. I relax...relinquish my terror...and simply let go...letting loose of my vise-like grip on this dubious claim that I have, that we all have, on this make-shift mortal coil... And now?...Now I live here...with the Lord of the Dark...in his domain and in his dominion...now and forever!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 6, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2006 2006 bomber, consumed August 2006.
Black ink spills forth, pouring slightly thinner than previous vintages and cascading into the snifter with muddy edges and a sparsely populated, dark tan sawdust head. Aroma ejects outright evil matter. Chocolate port, scorched anise, plum pudding caramelized to the cusp of cinder, blackberry puree with dark chocolate seeping into the porous matter, and boozy blackened caramel. Pervasive oil seeps in, planting flavors of stark espresso with a profoundly rich French pressed bitterness. Black currant, meet blackberry jam. Now dance. Oozing black plums in a boozed out pool of melted Ghirardelli squares, Irish cream and Godiva liquor. Dark chocolate fornicates with liquidized turtle candies - what once was chunky chocolates is now a thick, steady stream. Oily weight and triple batched espresso transcend mouth feelings and flavors. Black patent tangos with coffee and overcompensates slightly, but itís "black" thatís the foundational treatise of the beer and you canít alter that rebellious nature. Flame licked plum sauce captures the finish on scorched crŤme brŻlťe, oozing down the tongue flanks in its final hour.

2005 bomber, consumed May 2005.
Thickest pour known to man. A deep, dark, impenetrable mass. Heavy, dense, formidable lacing on the sides of the snifter, worthy of its own exhibit at the Louvre. Aroma is molasses, cherries, burnt rubber, mocha and blackberry jam. Robust and full-bodied in flavor. Vibrant coffee strikes fast and hard, then transitions to a deliciously roasted chocolate covered espresso bean. Strikingly bitter. Everything is in perfect harmony. Life is really f*ckiní good right now. Coats the palate like wax, with a little spiciness trapped underneath that glossy layer. Great, dense, heavy. Nectar of the gods. Canít taste the ABV but youíre feeling pretty good early on. Finish is roasted, no, charred almonds. By all means, one of the finest beers Iíve ever had.

2004 bomber, consumed with friends, April 2006.
Oh hell yeah.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 2005 bottle: Aroma of dark, burnt coffee, licorice, chocolate. All of that with an earthy twist to it. Some noticable alcohol. Full roasted coffee flavor that just lasts and lasts and lasts... Initally sweet but then it has this musty and bitter finish. Full, thick palate. Yummy. 2004 bottle sampled at 2005 release party. Thanks for sharing! It was the last brew in my New Belgium worthy before dropping it on the pavement. Luckily I didnít drop the case of 2005 Dark Lord I was carrying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2008 brown frothy head, impenetrable brown color. nutty, rich aroma, the flavor is a bit too sweet, with coffe, licorice, malt (a very complex brew). but this brew grows on you the more you drink (and we drank several at the dark lord party). the afterbite is very pleasingly bitter, and it sticks with you for a while. overall, an enjoyment.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cornfield (5482) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2005 From the bottle (one of a few), enjoyed at the Dark Lord Release Party, Three Floyds. (And a round of applause to Nick Floyd and the other 3F folk for handling the massive RateBeerian invasion so well!) Over hyped? Too extreme? How about... this is a great beer. It pours out black with a substantial brown head that does some fun lacing as you drink. (Of course, it got more fun the more DL that I drank.) The aroma is rich with coffee and sweet malts and roasted malts and molasses with traces of licorice and vanilla and alcohol and a brief hit of the hops... and it got more complex as it warmed. This demonic stout is huge with malt, subtle on the coffee, big on a well-melded mixture of flavors. The finish is bittersweet, both in the dry aftertaste and in the realization that youíve just emptied the glass. (Forunately, there is still more to be had!) An excellent vintage.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/events-detail.asp?eve Lord Release/RB Blowout, Munster, IN 04/29/2005<font size=-1>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrnkMcDermott (2799) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2008 Bottle, at the Dark Lord Release Party, 3 Floyds. So Iím first to get to a computer after sampling the 2005 vintage. Thanks to Cornfield, Rayboy01 and others who went in with me to buy and split a bottle so I didnít have to crack into my one purchase. So. Over the top, or overhyped? Well, it pours with a big nose of coffee and toffee and molasses, thatís for sure. Stuff is like a thin maple syrup. I got a few minutes of entertainment just tilting the glass back and forth to see the beer filter back down through its head. Taste is not as "extreme" as, say, the DFH WWS. Just big on malts. Kind of drips over the tongue, and leaves a coating on the glass like shellac. Once Iíve made some room in the glass, I can get a brandy snifter effect. So how should I react to this? Itís a really excellent beer, and I should actually give it ups for NOT trying to blow me away. Is it "5" worthy? Guess Iíll have to go with the rating Iíve got for now, then decide again when my new bottle has aged a while.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - APR 16, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2007 #200. 2004 release. First thanks go out to ClarkVV for offering this in our trade, which was one of my first. How often do you get a Dark Lord on one of your first trades? Anyway. This is an impressive bottle. You all see the picture of it, with the melted red wax and the elaborate artwork. I have a 44 minute version of the Allman Bros Mountain Jam on in the background. Anyway, now on to the beer. The starting temp is 53.2į, which is a bit cold, but over the course of the 22oz bottle, it should warm up quite a bit. Served in my NB worthy glass. Pours dark black with a mocha colored head. The beer is a mouthful, it about as full as a beer can get. No sediment. The aroma is already wafting my way. When I stick my nose into the glass, it is a roasted malt, vanilla, coffee, spicy hops. There doesnít seem to be a bunch of carbonation getting in the way in the mouth, just mouth coating malty goodness. The flavor is sweet malt with a touch of molasses, a spicy, hoppy middle, and a light coffee finish. I let the beer warm up to ~59į. The aroma smells just like a barrel aged beer, vanilla and almost a bourbon aroma, with a bit of the alcohol lurking in the background. The taste is sweet and malty with dark fruit notes (prunes, raisins); the hops kick in a bit, as does the alcohol, but the malt wins out. I thought the hops would come out more as the beer warms, but they did not seem to. My second pour seems fine, but I think there might be a bit of sediment in it; if so it is a fine sediment and just makes it a bit more "full." The second to last pour was like brown cream, the taste was bitter and harsh. I a filtering the last 1/4 of the beer with a paper towel since I canít find a coffee filter. I wonít rate the last 1/3 of the bottle, because if left unfiltered, it is horrible.

2005 Bottle. Like the í04 it has better than a year of cellaring time before drinking. The beer is black, not nearly black or black with red tints, but black as black can be. The beer leaves a gleaming bit if itself on the glass as drank. A small cocoa colored head rings above. The beer is not overly cold, but the aroma is weak, smelling of roast and blackstrap molasses and some earthy and citrusy hops. The taste is chocolate milk, mild roast, some earthy hops some citrus on the backend. The mouthfeel is insane, on par with Expedition. None of the residual fine matter of the 2004. 7/5/7/5/17-4.1

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 After having this three times I canít help but feel it is just too much malt for me to like it enough to call this a top five. I actually traded some away the day after I tried this the first time. I am aging one bottle to see if it relaxes a bit. Poured dark black with a brown head. Malt, malt, malt. Sweet, roasted, coffee, and chocolate. Some bitterness and sweet on the finish. Full bodied, thick and chewy. 2005 edition: Black and oily with a brown head. Roasted chocolate bitter with a little tang to it. Semi-dry finish. A lot less sweetness than previous year. Thankfully, but score stays the same.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MIBRomeo (2559) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 mar 04 thick syruppy brown no real head big malty syrup raisen alcohol scent w/ a thick and ultra creamy palate. A big malt flavor w/ hints of vanilla raisens, alcohol and verry hidden hops. The flvor was very thick but over a third of the bottle was sedament.. yet a great beer Thanks to DavidP for this one. rated again on an 05 from my stock the 05 does seem better htan the 04 our bottle wasnít a huge chunk setement this time. This one had a muich larger dark brown head that stayed and laced very well upped app from 4-5. i think the aroma is similar to last time. palate is still incredible. and the flavor deserved an upper big big thick malt big raiseny alcoholy flavor ooh its good stuff. Re rated again.. Iíve now had 04, 05, & 06 side my side... it is definatelly a deteriorating beer.... I am now rating against todayís beer... w/ a 4.6 to the 04 and a 4.4 to the 05