overall

RATINGS: 1683   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 14, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2011 So, after a year of being here, Dark Lord is released again. We didnít make it to the brewery, but we found it at the Binnyís in Hyde Park. Damn glad that we did. Pours a syrup black. Looks like maple syrup with a fluffy brown head. So pretty. I sat smelling it for a while, as it was a little overchilled. Smell had coffee, hairspray, molasses. Actually, the aroma detracted a little bit. I was nowhere near ready for what was next. I took a sip and was taken aback. It was thick, like when an inkpen explodes in your mouth. Easily the thickest beer Iíve ever had. Iíd probably equate it to chocolate syrup. Taste is amazing as well. Lots of coffee, sweetness, molasses. Seems like the only bittering agent in this beer is coffee and it works wonders. Thereís so much going on. This is my new favorite. Had the 2006 batch after the release in 2006, much more muted... 2005 had on 5/10/8: couple years have turned this into a new beer, equally as good and confirming that I wasnít naive when I first had it. Strong and thick, the hops have mellowed out and brought forth more roast. Still amazing and could handle the time like it ainít no thing. 2008 had on 5/9/8: This was different than the 2005. Lots of fruitiness in the nose, peaches and such. Minimal coffee character and reasonably sweet. Of note, there was about 5oz of sludge in the bottom of the bottle that afforded a ton of hop character and roastiness and more astringency than the decanted portion. Awesome awesome beer... 2011 Edition-12/20/11. Bigger and sweeter, not as big of a body as it used to have. More nutmeg notes come through but dry out with roast. Really quite sweet. Will be interested to see how this one ages...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
WBC (8) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAY 13, 2005 does not count
CONGRATS TO NICK FLOYD AND THE REST OF THE 3 FLOYDS FAMILY. THIS BEER HAS SOME SERIOUS POTENTIAL TO AGE FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. I CANíT WAIT TO SAMPLE IT ON TAP AT THE OPENING OF THE NEW PUB AS WELL AS DRINK IT IN 2 YEARS. PROST, BRENNAN C.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimstrassburg (57) - Germantown, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 12, 2005
Thanks to Chuck for letting me sample this so early in my beer rating career. Head looks like chocolate ice cream. Dark tan and very thick stays around. Black color. Pours like 10w30 motor oil. Tingles on the palate. Very strong and bitter. Caramel, thick malty taste. Think espresso beans in chocolate all ground up. Very full-bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
1FastSTi (3341) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 2007 vintage Wow! This beer is back to itís former glory. The beer pours to a pitch black body with a thin dark tan head. The aroma is phenomenal. Strong notes of rhubarb and strawberry laced dark chocolate and coffee. The palate is the first thing that hits. Rich and full bodied, creamy, pudding. Holy cow! Back to the 2004 quality. The flavor is chocolate, rich and fully complex. Coffee, yeasty pudding, chocolate, light rhubarb. 9, 5, 9, 5, 18 = 4.6
Chuck opened one to share on a condition that I share one of mine with him. Thanks Chuck! First of all, if the appearance could be a 6, thatíd be fine by me. Thick, permanent brown head thatís like chocolate mousse atop a thick motor oil black body. We wonder what candlepower would be necessary to shine through this. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts, molasses. The flavor is very roasted. Coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, grass hops hide under the big malts. The palate is ultra thick, lingering, alcohol, good carbonation. 9/5/8/4/18 = 4.4

Resampled on 8/20/05 with my brother. I upped the flavor 1 notch. Also, the alcohol is covered up a bit more than when first sampled. 9/5/9/4/18 = 4.5

Sampled a 2004 red-waxed bottle per Todd, the non rater beer guy. THANKS! This version is MUCH better. Although, the scores are very similar, its so different and MUCH, MUCH better. FFF, bring back the original version! The beer has a full mouthfeel and is VERY thick and viscous. I even drank the sediment it was so good. The beer has a gorgeous head atop a dark black body. It is a tan/dark brown head with excellent retention and lacing, even in the 30+ oz challis we poured it into. The flavor is the richest, maltiest, most chocolate laced beer ever. The palate is VERY viscous and coating. Better and more mellow than the 2005 version. I did dock a point on the aroma, but that was likely due to the glass size. 8/5/10/5/18 = 4.6

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frankenkitty (1959) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAY 9, 2005
Many thanks to Cornfield for getting me some of this from the DL Release Party.

"What the hellís a íreverse cascading head?í " I asked myself, unknowingly pouring a-little-too-high in the glass. I was then forced to helplessly watch a small head transmogrify exponentially over the rim like an 8th-grade Science Fair project. "OK... got it." This beer poured black and viscous with one of the darkest heads Iíve ever seen. Incredible lace made me shudder as it faced me with a skeletal grin, like a deathís head moth (<a href=http://www.workinlate.com/images/beer/DarkLor for Image). Incredible potency in its aromas of burnt, strong coffee. Flavor hit the tongue with a chocolate sweetness, then transformed into a thick, bitter monster. Full bodied; silky yet glutinous. Three Cheers for Three Floyds!

<font size=-4>Trade with <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/ViewUser.asp?UserID=1 size=-1>

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sprinkle (114) - Arcadia, Michigan, USA - MAY 8, 2005
Weak on the nose, yet that is all I have to say this beer is lacking, too noticable alcohol. nice molassas and vanilla. Huge mouthfeel, and richness of taste! I NEED MORE!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2005 Stare into this glass... just stare into the ebony whirlpool...what is it that roils just there under the surface? Where? What do you mean where? ...Why canít you see it?... Just there...it was...it WAS right there! Dear God! Itís gone! Or am I feverish...is it my head that spins or the room...? I stagger, clutching at the rim, scrawny fingers slipping, and then...Iím reeling headlong into that terrible black maw that yawns to receive me... Suddenly I canít breathe! Which way is up, for godís sake? I suck desperately for air, for one last pathetic bit of life...But why do I struggle so...why do I try so fearfully to hold on...why donít I... just...let...go...? And so, just like that, I do. I relax...relinquish my terror...and simply let go...letting loose of my vise-like grip on this dubious claim that I have, that we all have, on this make-shift mortal coil... And now?...Now I live here...with the Lord of the Dark...in his domain and in his dominion...now and forever!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 6, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2006 2006 bomber, consumed August 2006.
Black ink spills forth, pouring slightly thinner than previous vintages and cascading into the snifter with muddy edges and a sparsely populated, dark tan sawdust head. Aroma ejects outright evil matter. Chocolate port, scorched anise, plum pudding caramelized to the cusp of cinder, blackberry puree with dark chocolate seeping into the porous matter, and boozy blackened caramel. Pervasive oil seeps in, planting flavors of stark espresso with a profoundly rich French pressed bitterness. Black currant, meet blackberry jam. Now dance. Oozing black plums in a boozed out pool of melted Ghirardelli squares, Irish cream and Godiva liquor. Dark chocolate fornicates with liquidized turtle candies - what once was chunky chocolates is now a thick, steady stream. Oily weight and triple batched espresso transcend mouth feelings and flavors. Black patent tangos with coffee and overcompensates slightly, but itís "black" thatís the foundational treatise of the beer and you canít alter that rebellious nature. Flame licked plum sauce captures the finish on scorched crŤme brŻlťe, oozing down the tongue flanks in its final hour.

2005 bomber, consumed May 2005.
Thickest pour known to man. A deep, dark, impenetrable mass. Heavy, dense, formidable lacing on the sides of the snifter, worthy of its own exhibit at the Louvre. Aroma is molasses, cherries, burnt rubber, mocha and blackberry jam. Robust and full-bodied in flavor. Vibrant coffee strikes fast and hard, then transitions to a deliciously roasted chocolate covered espresso bean. Strikingly bitter. Everything is in perfect harmony. Life is really f*ckiní good right now. Coats the palate like wax, with a little spiciness trapped underneath that glossy layer. Great, dense, heavy. Nectar of the gods. Canít taste the ABV but youíre feeling pretty good early on. Finish is roasted, no, charred almonds. By all means, one of the finest beers Iíve ever had.

2004 bomber, consumed with friends, April 2006.
Oh hell yeah.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 2005 bottle: Aroma of dark, burnt coffee, licorice, chocolate. All of that with an earthy twist to it. Some noticable alcohol. Full roasted coffee flavor that just lasts and lasts and lasts... Initally sweet but then it has this musty and bitter finish. Full, thick palate. Yummy. 2004 bottle sampled at 2005 release party. Thanks for sharing! It was the last brew in my New Belgium worthy before dropping it on the pavement. Luckily I didnít drop the case of 2005 Dark Lord I was carrying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2008 brown frothy head, impenetrable brown color. nutty, rich aroma, the flavor is a bit too sweet, with coffe, licorice, malt (a very complex brew). but this brew grows on you the more you drink (and we drank several at the dark lord party). the afterbite is very pleasingly bitter, and it sticks with you for a while. overall, an enjoyment.