RATINGS: 1756   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
madsberg (11069) - SÝborg, DENMARK - JUN 10, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2009 Bottled 2004 version: Pours a thick pitch black coloured fluid into the glass. On top an impressive brown dense head saying "Come and get me if you dare". First pour was without any sediment. Got a second pour with some sediment, which wasnít as tasty as 1. pour, but still quite goood. Chocolate, dades, alcohol and coffee mingled with a light roastyness is hitting your nose. Some spices there as well. Flavour is spiced, fruity, alcoholdense, has coffeenotes and is surprisingly smooth. Very good beer this is. The bourbon barral charackter definately is there, but not as evident as in other barral aged beers. The end is smooth coffee and light roast. Delicious. Great stuff IMO. Many thanks to my secret santa BBB63 for this. Now I can only sit and wait for the 2005 release, which is on it way across the atlantic from Raindog. I can hardly wait. Bottled. 2007 version. This is an immense beer as well. Have to raise the flavour rate by 1. Other than that my impression is more or less the same.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DarkElf (3050) - La Jolla, California, USA - JUN 10, 2005
(22 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with Eyedrinkale, thanks Mike!) 2005 vintage.

DarkElf vs. Dark Lord

Iíve been looking forward to trying this beer more than any other beer out there, except maybe a Westy 12. And finally, the fateful evening has arrived when I confidently enter the realm of the all-powerful Dark Lord. Evil abounds in this eerie world, and in the distance, I hear his chilling snarl, but I am unafraid for he is surely no match for the mighty DarkElf! I catch him dozing, and with amazing steath, I cockily attempt to open the bottle, but he quickly awakens and is not beaten easily. The draping orange wax isnít wax at all, but a tough plastic shell that requires a meticulous battle plan to pry off the cap without destroying the orange seal. But I eventually am victorious, vanquishing my haughty foe with unparalleled brilliance and skill. I have won the opening skirmish, but apparently the war has just begun -- as I pour the beer, I can smell the alcohol before I even take a sip. I make a feeble attempt to savor the nose, but with the alcoholic aroma calling me like the Sirensí Song, impatience overcomes me as I rush into the next battle, taking my first sip, unprepared for the assault on my taste buds. This is simply a massive, over the top beer in every respect. In the Dark Lordís lair, nothing is subtle. Whatever I taste, I taste in great quantities. Dark, bitter, burnt roastiness, chocolaty, with sweet cherries juxtaposed by a strong grapefruit hoppiness. And oh, the cursed alcohol! The tide has turned in this battle as Iím beginning to feel a bit light headed after just a few sips. I swing my sword, flailing wildly, missing my target as the Dark Lord taunts me with his deep, evil laugh. Strong roast, chocolate, cherry and alcohol dominate the nose, the massive aromas extending his dominion. Big, thick, rich, full bodied palate, somewhat syrupy, fully coating the mouth with a dense viscosity as thick as his breastplate. Black-as-night color is as evil and sinister as the Dark Lord himself, as dark in color as his demonic shadow. A touch of mahogany at the edges gives me some hope for victory, but with another sip, he silences me with a mighty roar. Light brown head quickly fades to a moderate ring, but he is unphased by this minor weakness. As I finish the glass (which is still only half the bottle), my senses are fogging. I fear I am beaten. Damn the Dark Lord, damn him to hell. I bow before greatness. He is Lord. The mighty Dark Lord, my eternal master.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
ecbeerguy (86) - East Chicago, Indiana, USA - JUN 6, 2005
Thgis beer has lots of EVERYTHING, including balance. I get chocalate, molasses, and plenty of coffee from the beer that poured dark as night, with a tight, compacted ( but not small ) head. Itís rich and thick. I get an alcohol burn, but what do you expect for 13%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ray1975 (251) - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA - MAY 30, 2005
Poured black as night with a small chocolate colored head. Aroma was chocolate, coffee, molasses and roasted malt.. Flavor was sweet chocolate, sweetened coffee, and a hint of alcohol. For a 13% beer the alcohol is hidden well.. Very thick mouthfeel.. Almost felt the need to chew.. Very smooth and good carbonation...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jackson220 (136) - new lenox, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2005
OMG....this is 1 hella of beer...thanks rayboy!Very very dark motor-oil brown with no translucence. The aroma blends potent tones of grape, chocolate, fig, cherry, and molasses. The flavor has an overwhelmingly rich distinction of molasses, chocolate/vanilla, grape, alcohol, and raspberry. The palate is insanely complex and perhaps as full-bodied as you can get. Overall, this is the quintessential "knock-out" beer...WOW, my first beer tasted to deserve a perfect score. but just in case I will, resverve that for heaven.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pineypower (2834) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - MAY 27, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2005 Finally got my hands on some and it was worth the wait. Pours out black and thick with a slow forming brownish head. The aroma is mostly roasted malts and coffee. The taste is very extreme and complex with coffee, roasted malts, vanilla and some burnt fruit. Not much in the area of hops, but they are there very slightly with some tastes of smoke a little bit. This is one serious beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MullMan (1099) - New York, USA - MAY 27, 2005
2005 bottle. black body. thick dark tan creamy head. aroma is blackstrap molasses, soy sauce, deep roasted malt. flavor is licorice, deep roasted malt, and dry. hoppy and young. very big thanks to Richlikebeer for sharing. now for my rant - why is this the #2 beer in the world??? I was really let down after all the hype, and Iím really hoping that this turns to gold after aging because Iíve enjoyed other Impy Stouts much more than this. If I got the vanilla/chocolate/coffee flavors, hell even if I tasted burnt rubber Iíd enjoy it more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Darkover (1529) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 27, 2005
Dark black with a dark brown head. Aroma of roasted coffee, chocolate and some smoke. Really thick body. Flavor of coffee, dark chocolate and some alcohol. Long coffee finish. A little over the top.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - MAY 25, 2005
Another fav from the Jim invitational. Poured black and thick. Tan head and great aroma of caramel roasted chocolate vanilla and a bit of smoke. The alcohol was well hidden and there was a nice creamy coffee finish. The body was a little watery for such a strong brew. This was excellent. Thanks for sharing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAY 25, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2006 Poured pitch black like the devilís soul with a dark brown head. I could tell how thick this stuff was just from pouring it. Like oil. Left tons of lacing on the glass. Aroma was huge coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. The flavor was powerful unsweetened coffee. The coffee dominated every aspect of the beer from first sniff to last sip. Chocolate and vanilla flavors were noticable in the coffee, but was masked by the strong coffee. Creamy mouthfeel with a lingering powerful bitter coffee finish. I couldnít taste the alcohol at all. Dry finish.