overall

RATINGS: 1610   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 4, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2004 Thank you EddieG for getting this beer for me. It pours with a very deep brown to black body with a reddish hue, topped by a huge, brown head that seams to last forever. An amazing amount of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is sweet, fruity and malty with notes of vanilla and alcohol, and an odd roastiness that makes it smell a little like stew. The flavor starts out sweet, fruity and malty with vanilla notes, slight roasty notes and some alcohol, then it finishes roasty, chocolatey and malty. This beer is thick as hell and very smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bu11zeye (11760) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - APR 2, 2004
(Bottle) Pours the like dirty motor oil thick and black with an oily shine. Has a heavy, chewy mouth feel. Flavors of coffee, vanilla, hops, and alcohol. One of the best imperial stouts that I have tried, if not the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mneil9799 (1) - USA - APR 1, 2004 does not count
This is the best Imperial Stout ever made. I think it is really the ingenious use of ingredients that lend this beer its unique profile. The hops are just right and blend nicely, the body is silky smooth, hinting that they possibly used oats to impart such a silky smooth texture. The beer is high in alcohol, but it is very well hidden. They hit a homerun on this one. Now if you could only find it on the shelf. I was lucky enough to get some at the Real Ale Fest from a firkin. (MapRoom, Chicago)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Yes, I am being impatient. Initial pour is near black and oily. Look a lot like used oil from a diesel engine. Small but dense head of dark tan bubbles. Smooth and silky feel. Rich malt, fresh hops, and alcohol all sneak out of the lair. I pour the remaining sludge into a separate glass. Dark brown soup. Heavy aromas of fresh picked hops. Try this and it is mostly hops and yeast flavors with a late hops bite. Mix the two to create a murky brown substance with some specks of white yeast. Cream soup feel. Malt dominates with mild chocolate, and light fruit. late hops and alcohol burn. Chewy beyond any other brew that I can remember. This is not beer it is a malt shake. My lips are stuck together. I can hardily wait to try my other bottle in about 5 year. This should be absolutely fantastic by then. Kudos to DavidP for dropping this one off.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nuffield (3637) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 30, 2004
I don't need to repeat the superlatives offered by others. A pitch, thick, black, oil of a beer with a caramel head. Roasted, chocolate, fruity, slightly vinous aroma. A bitterness marks the end of the flavor, after experiencing a blend of numerous other flavors. Huge flavors, long finish, big beer brewing at its best.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAR 29, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2005 Heresy: I realize that I risk excommunication but here goes...The pour is indeed the thickest I have seen. Bubbles rise to the top and then disappear with a soda like fizz. The head has tints of red and the beer below looks like liquid chocolate. Not much aroma, but a faint whiff of cherries and raisins. Mouthfeel is divine- feeling, though not tasting like liquid chocolate. Taste is of intense raisins followed by orange peel bitterness. The fruit gives way to a port-like taste and alcohol burn. Beer leaves a film of dried sediment on the glass. I cannot detect any chocolate, roastiness or malt smoothness. The raisin is absolutely overpowering and distracting. If you like port or chocolate covered fruit peel- this is your stout. While it is quite an experience to drink/eat this beer- it is not an experience that I will seek out again. I am interested to know if age would mellow the raisin and bring out the chocolate. Ed- I thank you for the opportunity. Re-rate í05 Release- Thatís better. Loads of big beautiful bing cherries nestled in chocolate, yeasty malt. Wonderfully aromatic hops that balance out the huge sweetness. Now I see what the fuss is about. Still not my favorite imp stout- I would make this number three below Expedition and Oak Aged Yeti.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - MAR 28, 2004
Holy, holy crap!! Beer-flavoured yogurt! That was the typical response last night, when we popped this bottle open. Pours such a thick, black beer. This is 5W-15. No kidding. I don't know how I ever got it down my throat it was so thick. Aroma is basically all alcohol, roasted/burntness and malt / molasses. Flavour is very burnt and nutty. If you like them dark and burnt, this is your beer. Otherwise, it's a bit much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 28, 2004
alcohol, blood, milk chocolate and vanilla aroma, suspended sediment in a brown/black sea, pours like mud, cherry fruitiness then slick mocha into intensely bittersweet chocolate, incredibly intense but maybe too much so, it lacks in subtlety like a hollywood blockbuster compared to a fellini film

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
3fourths (7797) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 27, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2010 This is a beer for the easily-impressed.

Pours a thick and pitch black. I had to pour the last bit into a separate glass because of the thick, soft-serve-like sludge from the bottom of the bottle. My guess is I got about 18 ounces of the stuff to drink, and 4 to eat. After it was poured into the glass, a small amount of brown bubbles began to form, eventually forming a head about 1 finger thick. The aroma is a creamy hop concoction, with a roasted licorice presence and sweet burnt fruit. Incredibly thick mouth feel, morphing into a sweet sugary flavor and then finally settling out into a sticky coating in the finish, but incredibly overpowering with a sour and lactic yeast overtone. Wow... this is not good... too big and too think in this case is a bad move. Long lasting residual chocolate and roasted bitter hops. Flavor... hmm, how can I describe it... coffee and sweet molasses, vanilla, yes, acidic leafy hop flavor. Thick like yogurt of death. The residual coating in your mouth is similar to letting dark chocolate slowly melt in your mouth but with a stick of butter added, and thatís the big problem I have with this stout. The aroma is a bit lackiing, and thereís a harsh cream and butter aroma not found in the flavor. You could almost convince me I was drinking chocolate syrup.

Drinking another bottle in December 2004, 8 months after it was released, and I just really donít like it at all. Slimy, full of abrasive yeast (and this is NOT a mixed up bottle, it was poured well separated) and some bad alcohol and cream flavors. Iím missing the imperial stout in this bottle... really disappointing. I have one left, and will keep it for a few more years before trying... and after having this one I donít think that will be difficult.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lilannie (384) - Adamstown, Maryland, USA - MAR 26, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2005 Aroma: smells like burnt carmel corn, dark chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. Has a very heavy lingering scent.
Appearance: Dark, dark, dark light barely penetrates, if at all. tan brown head.
Flavor: very thick, creamy and smooth chocolate flavor, like a very well-made hot coco. Flavors of cream, bittersweet and dark chocolates, vanilla, roasted malts, and molasses. No overwhelming hoppiness like some of their beers but still vaguely found in the finish (and aftertaste).
Palate: an incredibly drinkable beer. quite thick and smooth--the consistency of drinking melted dark chocolate or motor oil. The substance completely coats the inside of the mouth, throat, and scents up into the nose with effects lasting beyond the last sip. great dark chocolate finish, tainted slightly with a bit of hops.
Overall: By far the best imperial stout I have ever had. happy our criminal friends were so stupid.