overall

RATINGS: 1684   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 6, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2005 5/3/05: Footbalm hooked me up again. He brought me back a bottle from the release party last Friday. Had it tonight with a buddy. It was awesome. Hoppier than I remember. And, did not have any standing sediment like previous vintages. Incredible. 10/30/04 Re-rate - RBMNG. Footbalm was gracious enough to bring a bottle of this to our recent Ratebeer Minnesota gathering. We poured about 2/3 of the bottle into a carafe until we got to the sediment. We then poured the sediment into a paper funnel to let the beer soak through. After about an hour, we had another 10 or so ounces more of the good beer. Dark chocolate aroma with bourbon notes and red wine tannins. Fully opaque. Small, brown head. Beautiful flavor. Very complex; plums, black currant. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel. Somewhat hoppy. A joy to drink in moderation. Eagerly awaiting the bottle Nick Floyd promised to send me which I promise to share. 9/6/04 - 2004 GTM. Nic Floyd gave me and my buddy most of his sample since Three Floyds ran out of their Dark Lord about 45 minutes before they were even scheduled to pour it at the í04 Great Taste of the Midwest. Dark chocolate aroma. Brown head. Large floaty particalia. Moutfeel is of residual chocolate on the tongue. Like they melted bars of dark chocolate into the brew and the residue floats in the beer. Unrefined, but tasty. Would like my own bottle of the stuff at some point unless I choose to boycott it due to 3Fís poor handling of their GTM beer distribution for the 2nd year in a row.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
skaughty (647) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - SEP 4, 2004
Would have loved to have this one as #300 for me, but alas I could wait no longer. Poured like motor oil - thick, with virtually no head. The glass was coated with malt as I drank it. Aroma-wise, the potency starts there. Alcohol is evident, with some bourbon and hops. Body - like Warren Sapp - thick and black. The malt must have come from maple trees, as this is fully a syrup - barely liquid. Flavor is mostly vanilla and mocha. This beer is just over the top, and in my book - (slightly)overrated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - AUG 29, 2004
8/11/04. Poured out of 22 oz. bottle, obtained in a trade with JCapriotti on RateBeer 5/14/04. Pours a thick dark black-brown, oily and viscous with almost complete opacity. Head is slight and uneven, a bright, sandy gold-tan. Lacing is decently sandy and shimmering but very spotty. And thereís a different kind of lacing at work here-- this beer is so thick, it coats the sides of the glass not with carbonation bubbles, but with syrupy soy sauce-looking residue of the beer (a friend finished his glass and then filled it up with water to rinse it out, and the water turned a dark golden-brown color that is probably darker and still more flavorful than any macro swill!). Very impressive, but I would have loved more head on the monster. Aroma has an amazing hop richness, dark sugar and sort of a chocolatey presence, but thereís not a whole lot of dark roast, burnt, or toasted malts. Itís nice, but it mostly just prepares for the big, rich sugary sweetness. Flavor has licorice, chocolate, and the rich dark sugar. A bit too one-dimensional in its dark sugary sweetness. Body is incredibly full, chunky and chewy. You can literally feel the grainy particles as you drink it, and it of course gets more and more obscene as you work your way down through the sludge. Finish is long and chocolatey, hoppy as well. Sort of a strange combination. Very rich and unbelieveably big, full finish. Probably the most decadent beer Iíve ever had (Iíd hate to see how many calories are in one bottle of this stuff!), but not close to one of the best.

DocLock (8054) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 28, 2004
#1,000!!!!!!!.. HUGE thank you to BBB63 for this one, and I know heís gonna love my review! Wow, itís great to get to 1,000, and I picked the perfect beer for this occasion. The beer pours dark black with slight ruby around the edges. The aroma is behemoth, with tons of dark malt, chocoff, black licorice, sherry, slight soy sauce, and fine cognac. The taste.......whoa Nelly let me tell ya íbout the taste! Super rich on the tongue, with tons of malt, chocoff, dark fruit, black licorice. Very sweet, full-bodied, and complex. When I first tasted this, I said "Holy shit!". This oneís flavor and palate is on par with DFH Worldwide Stout. The palate is the richest, thickest, and firmest of any beer Iíve ever had. I take nothing away from the great stouts, among them Stone RIS, Bellís Expedition, Central Waters BBS, and Great Divide Yeti among my favorites, but the flavor here is an entire new level....a level I previously thought unapproachable. The alcohol is very well hidden. As for the "sludge", Iíve poured very carefully, am about halfway through my bomber, and Iím telling everyone that I will gladly drink the sludge and ask for more. The Dark Lord will enter your soul, take over your senses, and make you a Satan worshipper! All hail the Dark Lord!!!!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jazz88 (2564) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 22, 2004
Bottle. Black oil color with the slowest rising beautiful thick creamy dark brown head. This beer takes its time. Strong dark fruits, raisins, and vanilla in the aroma. It lacked the powerful dark roasted malts, and strong coffee flavors I have come to expect in many of the big imperial stouts. Instead, it featured the complex fruits. Wow, this one drops a bomb in the flavor. Syrupy sweet flavors, with complex dark fruits, chocolate, and roasted malts. Thanks to jsquire for the trade.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerledgend (1197) - Waterloo, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 15, 2004
Thick syrup of black gold. Now I know what you yanks go on about. Sweet taste of black currants and port. The label says it all. What a pleasure to drink. Big ups to hopsrus.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 11, 2004
What everyone else says!! I have nothing more to add on positives. This beer is un-fíin-real!! Iíll take my comments a different route here though. My complaint (on the second half of the bottle) was that the sludge absolutely ruined the last several ounces. I canít believe Iíll admit to this, but I poured at least the last 6 ozs down the drain. Just couldnít handle it. The sludge just took it to another level of thick bitter mud which I couldnít stomach. I knew about it, but continued to pour it into my snifter anyway. Big mistake. I understand bottle conditioning, etc, but why such thick yeast?? I always pour the yeasties in, but I just canít understand what happened here. Anyway, it was still a tremendous beer prior to that point. Thanks TAR from many many months ago for the trade. Canít wait for the next release to see how it compares.

TheBeerGod (5342) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JUL 26, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2004 Thanks to JCapriotti for this beer! Pours midnight black with a medium dark brown head. Itís as dark as a starless night. Aroma is coffee, licorice, dark chocolate, hints of vanilla and tobacco along with molasses and faint caramel. WOW!!!!! The taste is INCREDIBLE! Strong chocolate and coffee blended with more licorice and vanilla. Taste of molasses and brown sugar. HUGE rich flavors here! There is some strong hints of alcohol as well. The mouthfeel is as thick and chewy as a beer can be. I donít think I could have possibly guessed it to be this thick and muddy. Some slight alcohol burn going on but itís a nice warming feel. Itís like drinking watered down alcoholic pudding. Bit on the oily side as well. Finish is bittersweet with dark chocolate and more molasses and coffee. This is a huge beer. Perfect for number 1000 and deserving of the 5 Iím giving it. I only wish I could have this on cask like many of the early ratings were.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 24, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2006 Really damn impressive was what i heard. so it was very fuckin dark with a german chocalate cake head on it, chocolate up the ass aroma. flavor is so damn powerful, yet subtle chocolate which amazes the fuck out of me. its like drinking a gertman chocalte cake. Insane.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JUL 23, 2004
Wow -- my favorite beer to date! This beer is so complex that Iím almost too intimidated to rate it -- opaque black, slight tan head, aroma and flavor of dark fruit, vanilla, chocolate, and much more, with a nice, syrupy-thick mouthfeel...a great suprise at the Georgia 14% gathering!