overall

RATINGS: 1744   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2008 brown frothy head, impenetrable brown color. nutty, rich aroma, the flavor is a bit too sweet, with coffe, licorice, malt (a very complex brew). but this brew grows on you the more you drink (and we drank several at the dark lord party). the afterbite is very pleasingly bitter, and it sticks with you for a while. overall, an enjoyment.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2005 From the bottle (one of a few), enjoyed at the Dark Lord Release Party, Three Floyds. (And a round of applause to Nick Floyd and the other 3F folk for handling the massive RateBeerian invasion so well!) Over hyped? Too extreme? How about... this is a great beer. It pours out black with a substantial brown head that does some fun lacing as you drink. (Of course, it got more fun the more DL that I drank.) The aroma is rich with coffee and sweet malts and roasted malts and molasses with traces of licorice and vanilla and alcohol and a brief hit of the hops... and it got more complex as it warmed. This demonic stout is huge with malt, subtle on the coffee, big on a well-melded mixture of flavors. The finish is bittersweet, both in the dry aftertaste and in the realization that youíve just emptied the glass. (Forunately, there is still more to be had!) An excellent vintage.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/events-detail.asp?eve Lord Release/RB Blowout, Munster, IN 04/29/2005<font size=-1>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrnkMcDermott (2903) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2008 Bottle, at the Dark Lord Release Party, 3 Floyds. So Iím first to get to a computer after sampling the 2005 vintage. Thanks to Cornfield, Rayboy01 and others who went in with me to buy and split a bottle so I didnít have to crack into my one purchase. So. Over the top, or overhyped? Well, it pours with a big nose of coffee and toffee and molasses, thatís for sure. Stuff is like a thin maple syrup. I got a few minutes of entertainment just tilting the glass back and forth to see the beer filter back down through its head. Taste is not as "extreme" as, say, the DFH WWS. Just big on malts. Kind of drips over the tongue, and leaves a coating on the glass like shellac. Once Iíve made some room in the glass, I can get a brandy snifter effect. So how should I react to this? Itís a really excellent beer, and I should actually give it ups for NOT trying to blow me away. Is it "5" worthy? Guess Iíll have to go with the rating Iíve got for now, then decide again when my new bottle has aged a while.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - APR 16, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2007 #200. 2004 release. First thanks go out to ClarkVV for offering this in our trade, which was one of my first. How often do you get a Dark Lord on one of your first trades? Anyway. This is an impressive bottle. You all see the picture of it, with the melted red wax and the elaborate artwork. I have a 44 minute version of the Allman Bros Mountain Jam on in the background. Anyway, now on to the beer. The starting temp is 53.2į, which is a bit cold, but over the course of the 22oz bottle, it should warm up quite a bit. Served in my NB worthy glass. Pours dark black with a mocha colored head. The beer is a mouthful, it about as full as a beer can get. No sediment. The aroma is already wafting my way. When I stick my nose into the glass, it is a roasted malt, vanilla, coffee, spicy hops. There doesnít seem to be a bunch of carbonation getting in the way in the mouth, just mouth coating malty goodness. The flavor is sweet malt with a touch of molasses, a spicy, hoppy middle, and a light coffee finish. I let the beer warm up to ~59į. The aroma smells just like a barrel aged beer, vanilla and almost a bourbon aroma, with a bit of the alcohol lurking in the background. The taste is sweet and malty with dark fruit notes (prunes, raisins); the hops kick in a bit, as does the alcohol, but the malt wins out. I thought the hops would come out more as the beer warms, but they did not seem to. My second pour seems fine, but I think there might be a bit of sediment in it; if so it is a fine sediment and just makes it a bit more "full." The second to last pour was like brown cream, the taste was bitter and harsh. I a filtering the last 1/4 of the beer with a paper towel since I canít find a coffee filter. I wonít rate the last 1/3 of the bottle, because if left unfiltered, it is horrible.

2005 Bottle. Like the í04 it has better than a year of cellaring time before drinking. The beer is black, not nearly black or black with red tints, but black as black can be. The beer leaves a gleaming bit if itself on the glass as drank. A small cocoa colored head rings above. The beer is not overly cold, but the aroma is weak, smelling of roast and blackstrap molasses and some earthy and citrusy hops. The taste is chocolate milk, mild roast, some earthy hops some citrus on the backend. The mouthfeel is insane, on par with Expedition. None of the residual fine matter of the 2004. 7/5/7/5/17-4.1

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 After having this three times I canít help but feel it is just too much malt for me to like it enough to call this a top five. I actually traded some away the day after I tried this the first time. I am aging one bottle to see if it relaxes a bit. Poured dark black with a brown head. Malt, malt, malt. Sweet, roasted, coffee, and chocolate. Some bitterness and sweet on the finish. Full bodied, thick and chewy. 2005 edition: Black and oily with a brown head. Roasted chocolate bitter with a little tang to it. Semi-dry finish. A lot less sweetness than previous year. Thankfully, but score stays the same.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 mar 04 thick syruppy brown no real head big malty syrup raisen alcohol scent w/ a thick and ultra creamy palate. A big malt flavor w/ hints of vanilla raisens, alcohol and verry hidden hops. The flvor was very thick but over a third of the bottle was sedament.. yet a great beer Thanks to DavidP for this one. rated again on an 05 from my stock the 05 does seem better htan the 04 our bottle wasnít a huge chunk setement this time. This one had a muich larger dark brown head that stayed and laced very well upped app from 4-5. i think the aroma is similar to last time. palate is still incredible. and the flavor deserved an upper big big thick malt big raiseny alcoholy flavor ooh its good stuff. Re rated again.. Iíve now had 04, 05, & 06 side my side... it is definatelly a deteriorating beer.... I am now rating against todayís beer... w/ a 4.6 to the 04 and a 4.4 to the 05

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: APR 27, 2005 Iíve waited a while for my turn with this one....thanks Eyedrinkale! Let me first state Iím so glad this lived up to the hype. The color is pitch-black and it has a brown head which disappeared over the time I was busy smelling....the wonderful aroma....strong, powerful nose of coffee, chocolate, plums, raisins, wood, molasses, soy, and alcohol. Definitely a lot going on here. The flavor is very sweet with complex notes of dark roasty malts, coffee, and bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is thick, syrupy, softly carbonated....tongue coating. It ends with a nice dry hop bitterness chasing some kind of dark fruits. Complete from beginning to end...and boy was I sad to see that bottle end. It had everything I want in my ale, especially my impy stouts. I couldíve done without the 3 inch layer of sludge on the bottom, but it was a small price to pay.... Iíll have this again someday!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
flemdawg (541) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Finally I got to try this one thanks to eyedrinkale. To call this black would be an understatement. Black hole would be more appropriate as it seemed to suck light in. A tan head that left oily sheeting down the glass. Dark malts, brown sugar, molasses, chocolate, coffee aroma. So much aroma it almost hurt the nose. The tastes were coffees, chocolate, sweetness, hops, carmel, and some hints of vanilla. Wow, this was tasty, sipped on this for a long time just to make sure I got all that I could out of it. Syrupy mouth coating thickness that coats the inside of your very being, well not really, but it was still think as all get out. If not for the almost undrinkable hop paste at the bottom of the bottle this would have been perfect.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Thanks JPDIPSO. This is a good Imperial Stout. Tons of Malt, and bitter sweet chocolate flavor. Finishes thick, chewy, and rich.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pailhead (5684) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - FEB 20, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2008 Excellent aroma of sweet chocolate, vanilla, coffee and fruit. Pours a very thick motor oil black with a tan head that is more of a ring than a head. This beer starts thick and then begins to look like a smoothie the deeper you go into the bottle. Very malty up front with lot of chocolate and fruit. Finishes more on the coffee side with a light alcohol burn that is only there for the first few sips and then dissapears. The closer you get to the bottom, the thicker or more hoppier it gets. Need to drink this side by side with Speedway. Many many thanks to Eyedrinkale for this one!!!!!!!!