overall

RATINGS: 1716   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2005 2004. Pours a thick, dark, chocolate brown, head almost the same color as the body, a good amount of yeast. Aroma of chocolate, smoke, vanilla, and a touch of alcohol. The aroma was great, although a little lighter. The fattest, chewiest body Iíve ever come across by far. Like drinking pudding. Flavor was delicious: chocolate creme, vanilla, roasty malt, some underlying hops, and a little bit of alcohol to say "donít f%#$@ with this." I canít believe I wasnít let down by this. Totally deserving of the praise it gets. Excellent. 8/4/10/5/19 2005 bottle: far dryer, heavier on the roast which throws of the balance from the big chocolate cream. Not as full of a body either, although the 2004 was like drinking pudding. Didnít blow me a way like before, although still a solid beer. 8/4/8/4/16 This would be somewhat of an average of the two.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jercraigs (8289) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2008 2008-08-15. Pitch black with a modest brown head. (4+) Aroma is a touch muted, chocolate and sweet malt. (7+) Flavour is super rich and sweet but simple. Rich sweet malt core. (7+) Smooth medium bodied palate. Solid but just not as awesome as past vintages. 8/4/8/4/16 - 4.0 2008 Vintage, Bottle shared by HogTownHarry

"Isnít that Paul Reuben???" - Blankboy.

Vintage 2004 2008-05-17. Black syrupy body with a modest dark khaki head. Sweet aroma, interesting fruity notes, light roast, sweet malt. (7+) Sweet malty foundation in the flavour with a lot of hop and roast bitterness. Light fruit/raisin notes. (7+) Think syrupy palate is full bodied but less rich than my memory of it. Admittedly it IS 4 years old, and I probably remember it being thicker than it was! I think it has reached the point where it is starting to go downhill, but is still lovely on its own merits. Many thanks to Frylock for the chance to have a second look from the same trade! 8/4/8/4/16-17 - 4.1 At Rudolfís, shared by Frylock

Vintage 2004/5 (Pink Wax) Black body with a small but thick brown chocolate milk coloured head. Lightly acidic malt dominates the aroma, with hints of raisins and other dark fruits. Mild alcohol presence and a light something I cannot place. Flavour has a lot of moderate lightly acidic roast malt throughout. A dry but not chalky cocoa finish makes sure to paint your mouth on the way down, with a slowly diminishing refrain. Full oily palate is quite nice. (4+) but still lacks that thick yogurt like body that I remember from my first sampling. Whether or not that first taste was as full bodied and smooth as I remember is another question. Thanks for sharing Paul, this is always a rare treat! 7-8/4/8-9/4+/17-18 - 4.4

Vintage 2005 RBSG 2005. Dark oily black body with a chocolate coloured head coats the glass. Aroma of mild acidity roast and dark chocolate. Dark roasty bitterness and some bitter chocolate, much more bitterness than expected. Full bodied palate yet still significantly thin compared to the 2004 I sampled. 7/4/7/4/15 - 3.7

Original Rating Bottle. 2004 Vintage Rated March 2004 at my apartment Beer Christening. Good chocolate coloured head sits proudly but does not linger long upon its throne of a thick viscous body that smoothly caresses its way across the palate. Frequent fleeting visits of mildly roasty bitter chocolate and occasionally the smallest clue that belies the alcoholic content of this fabulous beer. Layers of complexity in the flavour seem to reach out and taunt me with the fact that I will not soon have a chance to sample them again, before leaving me to ponder the brown film left across my glass. Part of me had hoped that a trip through Ontario might lessen the Dark Lordís power but he has brought me into his fold and I am a true believer. Many thanks to his disciple Frylock for spreading the Gospel of the Dark Lord to the Northern reaches of Toronto. 8/5/9/5/20 - 4.7

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
Thick, muddy dark brown w/ creamy brown head. Intense aroma of dark chocolate, figs, molasses, & vanilla accented w/ some smokey, roasty notes. Unbelievably thick, creamy, buttery feel--exceptional. Rich complex flavour of chocolate, espresso, molasses, cream, butter, vanilla, roast, smoke & oak. Remarkably the hops is quite subtle & accents the flavour perfectly. Finish is long (I can almost still taste it). Exceptional.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - MAR 18, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2004 2004 bottling: Sampled at 61 deg F.
Deep dark black color, completely opaque, with a brown head (forms from the top - downward...weird.) It coated my glass with a thick, tan film...like smearing motor oil on glass. The aroma was very strong...raspberries, chocolate, vanilla, molasses, burnt bread, and a slight alcohol tone. The flavor was extremely sweet...raspeberries, cherries, vanilla, molasses, burnt bread,bitter chocolate, and a slight hint of citrusy hops. The feel was as thick and creamy as I could ever imagine in a beer...very oily...heavily coating my tongue and mouth.

Everything about this beer lived up to my year+ long fantasy. It is an incredible experience...one that I will never forget. This is absolutely the best beer I've seen/smelled/tasted/felt!

flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - MAR 18, 2004
Extremely thick black color with a reverse cascading brown head. Wonderful rich molasses, vanilla, roasted malt and slight alcohol aroma. Very sweet molasses, vanilla roasted malt, raspberry, citrus hops and dark fruit flavors. This is the thickest beer ever! It feels like a creamy, velvety smooth truffle. Deliciously chewey. I have no choice but to give this a perfect score!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2004
UPDATED: APR 30, 2005 The bottle is just awesome, crowned with deep red wax and sporting a Todd McFarlane/Spawn-esque label. The beer pours like black velvet with thick milk chocolate mousse for a head. Aroma is powerful dark chocolate, molasses, coffee, vanilla and herbal notes reminicent of Jagermeister. So intimidating Iím almost afraid to taste it. The opening is tingly and a bit tart then malts roll across the tongue in thick velvety waves. Finish is dry with just a hint of alcohol. Dangerously drinkable for a beer of this magnitude. Simply a killer beer well worth all the praise. Thanks for sharing BrooklynBoy.------&# Release: All that I said above still applies. While removing the sediment was good on one hand, I think a touch of the character went with it. Iím also worried that it wonít age as well. Also, the orange wax doesnít look as good...Complaints aside, this is still probably the best beer in the world.

jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Pours a thick black without much more than a trace of head. It looks as omninous once poured as it did hiding behind that scary label. The aroma is quite complex, lots of scents detected, most noteably: Leather, licorice, chocolate, raisins, coffee, half-way dried roses, and maybe a hint of alcohol. Very complex flavor, I can't quite sort it all out. It's very heavy on the dried fruits and chocolate. Coffee notes are present throughout but seem to play just underneath the threshold. Slightly smoky finish. More notes can be deciphered but I can't find names for them all, besides whatever I did call them would sound something like "'x' crossed with 'y' with a hint of 'z'." All the flavors combine synergistacally(sp?) combine to form liquid poetry in my mouth. This beer is like a whore that is trying to get with every tastebud in my mouth that it can! The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and creamy without being offensive in any way. Drinkability is out of this world for a beer of this magnitude. I can't think of a beer with this abv that is this well hidden. The beer is infinitely interesting so boredom is no worry. Like I said before this beer is like intercourse for your tastebuds!

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2005 2005 version: It was with great anticipation that I awaited the release of Dark Lord. Promoted a club trip to Three Floyds with tailgating and all. Make it an event. Well, it was fun. As for the beer . . . . This yearís batch is missing a dimension. Oh, the aroma is mostly there and the flavor is there and the appearance is there but the mouthfeel, the body has lost some of itís lustre. Filtering? Perhaps. Last yearís had that oily mouthfeel, that richness that clung to the tongue and embraced the tastebuds and made the mouth feel all warm and cuddly. That is missing this year. I gave last year a perfect 5.0 because I thought it was as damned near perfect as a beer could be. This yearís deserves high marks, too, but the change in the mouthfeel precludes any perfect score. Why mess with perfection? Yes, this is still an outstanding beer but just not up to last yearís standards.

2004 version: Oh my god! This is awesome. From the label to the aftertaste it was an amazing experience. The label artwork is a masterpiece. Hey, Nick, make T-shirts, posters, etc. Open it and pour. Jet black with a thick, foamy, dark tan head. Perfection. Take a sniff. Itís a beer you can get excited by just from the aroma. Chocolate, coffee, molasses. The taste? If I wrote a novel, it couldnít convey that flavor. Wow. Did I say Wow already? Well, Iím speechless. And I was able to share the experience with two good buddies, Gasspasser and Alcoholist. This beer lived up to the hype. It deserves the hype. Itís NOT hype. Itís fact. Just about perfection in a bottle. I gave Brooklyn Black Chocolate a perfect rating. In that case, this rates 5+. And I have three more bottles to enjoy. Hot damn!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 14, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2004 I feel very lucky to get to share this with my two good friends Brooklynboy and Alcoholist. Let me tell you, it lives up to the hype. It is dark black with tint of red. Big frothy bubbly brown head that is alive with bursting bubbles. Kind of sedimenty in the bottom of the glass and bottle. The nose is full of rich spicy citrusy floral hops in the back of the nose there is some bits of suggar and herbs, similar to that of jagermeister. First in the taste there is sweetness of malts offset by hops and sweetness crisp and suggary flowery and complete. The finish is that of burnt or caramelized suggar. The body is full and jumpy. The feel from front of tounge is spicy and back is smoothe. IF YOU CAN GET THIS, GET SOME AND SAVE IT FOR JUST BEFORE YOU DIE. YOU WONT REGRET IT.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 14, 2004
Bottle. Wow what a beer. Super thick pour with no head, wait make that a 1/2 inch head. It takes a while to foam since it's so thick. Aroma is chocolatey, hops, and molasses. The flavor was terrific with vanilla and molasses, which were sweet but the bitterness and lasting warmth down your throat was balancing. The palate make me feel like I was drinking chocalate milk, in fact the lacing made the glass look it it had chocolate milk in it. I knew this beer was powerful when it broke my bottle opener. Large sediment in the bottle which ended up in my glass was the only drawback.