overall

RATINGS: 1724   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - MAR 28, 2004
Holy, holy crap!! Beer-flavoured yogurt! That was the typical response last night, when we popped this bottle open. Pours such a thick, black beer. This is 5W-15. No kidding. I don't know how I ever got it down my throat it was so thick. Aroma is basically all alcohol, roasted/burntness and malt / molasses. Flavour is very burnt and nutty. If you like them dark and burnt, this is your beer. Otherwise, it's a bit much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - MAR 28, 2004
alcohol, blood, milk chocolate and vanilla aroma, suspended sediment in a brown/black sea, pours like mud, cherry fruitiness then slick mocha into intensely bittersweet chocolate, incredibly intense but maybe too much so, it lacks in subtlety like a hollywood blockbuster compared to a fellini film

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
3fourths (8497) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 27, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2010 This is a beer for the easily-impressed.

Pours a thick and pitch black. I had to pour the last bit into a separate glass because of the thick, soft-serve-like sludge from the bottom of the bottle. My guess is I got about 18 ounces of the stuff to drink, and 4 to eat. After it was poured into the glass, a small amount of brown bubbles began to form, eventually forming a head about 1 finger thick. The aroma is a creamy hop concoction, with a roasted licorice presence and sweet burnt fruit. Incredibly thick mouth feel, morphing into a sweet sugary flavor and then finally settling out into a sticky coating in the finish, but incredibly overpowering with a sour and lactic yeast overtone. Wow... this is not good... too big and too think in this case is a bad move. Long lasting residual chocolate and roasted bitter hops. Flavor... hmm, how can I describe it... coffee and sweet molasses, vanilla, yes, acidic leafy hop flavor. Thick like yogurt of death. The residual coating in your mouth is similar to letting dark chocolate slowly melt in your mouth but with a stick of butter added, and thatís the big problem I have with this stout. The aroma is a bit lackiing, and thereís a harsh cream and butter aroma not found in the flavor. You could almost convince me I was drinking chocolate syrup.

Drinking another bottle in December 2004, 8 months after it was released, and I just really donít like it at all. Slimy, full of abrasive yeast (and this is NOT a mixed up bottle, it was poured well separated) and some bad alcohol and cream flavors. Iím missing the imperial stout in this bottle... really disappointing. I have one left, and will keep it for a few more years before trying... and after having this one I donít think that will be difficult.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lilannie (384) - Adamstown, Maryland, USA - MAR 26, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2005 Aroma: smells like burnt carmel corn, dark chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. Has a very heavy lingering scent.
Appearance: Dark, dark, dark light barely penetrates, if at all. tan brown head.
Flavor: very thick, creamy and smooth chocolate flavor, like a very well-made hot coco. Flavors of cream, bittersweet and dark chocolates, vanilla, roasted malts, and molasses. No overwhelming hoppiness like some of their beers but still vaguely found in the finish (and aftertaste).
Palate: an incredibly drinkable beer. quite thick and smooth--the consistency of drinking melted dark chocolate or motor oil. The substance completely coats the inside of the mouth, throat, and scents up into the nose with effects lasting beyond the last sip. great dark chocolate finish, tainted slightly with a bit of hops.
Overall: By far the best imperial stout I have ever had. happy our criminal friends were so stupid.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAR 25, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2005 Rating #700 I have to say this is the best beer Iíve had in my life. Forgetting all the hype that itís not ready just yet and it needs a few weeks to settle, itís better than anything as it is. This beer has everything you want in Imperial Stout and then some. Ladies and Gents (and fellow RBíers) the bar has been raised. Go figure a brewery in Indiana does it. Not that Dreadnaught isnít good (itís better than Ruination to me), this beer is fantastic. Flavors? The chocolate, vanilla, raisins and dried fruits all intermingle to provide sensory overload. The malty sweetness combined with the bitter hoppiness, make this the stuff legends are made of. Viscosity (I got that from a Castrol commercial) of light chocolate syrup. This stuff coats your glass like dirty oil does to your oil pan. There is residue all over the place. If my tongue were an inch longer, I would have licked the bottom and sides of my pint glass. To any other brewer that reads this review, itís time you stop fucking around and get in the game, especially if you are currently brewing Imperial Stout. We all know legends like Gretzky, Jordan and Woods only come around once in a lifetime, but before them there was Howe, Chamberlain and Nicklaus. Therefore, now that this new milestone has been created, itís time to think outside the box. If you make it, they will pay for it. You brewers have a responsibility to educate the public and increase the publicís awareness. Most of you are brewing bullshit and you know it. Be the best. You have the tools, knowledge and ability. To steal a phrase from Nike, Just Do It. This beer is not only great, but has inspired me to not only do better at my job but be a better person in life. Finally, to the genius that concocted this liquid brilliance, I love you, man. In rating the 2005 version, I wasnít so impressed as last year. I found it to be a bit sour and not as good as Speedway.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 25, 2004
Dark muddy brown with a small, but creamy kahki colored head. Raisins, plums, dates, dark chocolate and the slightest hint of hops highlight the aroma. Figs plums, rasins are all apart of the flavor. Bitter roasted chocolate as well. Mouth feel is unlike anything I have ever had. An imperial stout milkshake! Lovely warming finish. This stuff is unreal. Thanks to jcapriotti for sending me 2 bottles of this nectar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - MAR 23, 2004
Wow. This one really delivered. It is probably the most flavourful beer that I have, and ever will taste. I didn't really notice too much in the aroma, just a malty chocolate. As for the appearance, it is dark. A very thick dark black colour. A creamy reddish/tan head sits upon the top. Flavor is extremely complex and will require many tastings to explain fully. As for now, I will describe the flavor as a rich, extra creamy, chocolate. Also has hints of sugar and dark roasted coffe. There is a little blast of alcohol in the finish. Texture is very thick, oily, and as creamy as a beer can get. Thoroughly coats the mouth and throat. Makes my mouth feel wonderful. The flavor stayed with me for a long time after it was finished. Everything about this beer is terrific. Superb. Very bold and not for the weak hearted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2004
Rich coffee aroma is joined by a duo of peat and smoke. Chocolate truffle is the colour of this elixer, which exhibits a tiny, almost dusty cappuccino head. Panda liquorice, chicory, strong coffee, and chocolate are the flavours I most detected. As full bodied a brew as can possibly be. Incredibly complex. Chewy, glorious mouthfeel, oily, creamy, salty, blessedly bitter. Absolutely Magnificent!! Many, many Thanks to frielock!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2005 2004. Pours a thick, dark, chocolate brown, head almost the same color as the body, a good amount of yeast. Aroma of chocolate, smoke, vanilla, and a touch of alcohol. The aroma was great, although a little lighter. The fattest, chewiest body Iíve ever come across by far. Like drinking pudding. Flavor was delicious: chocolate creme, vanilla, roasty malt, some underlying hops, and a little bit of alcohol to say "donít f%#$@ with this." I canít believe I wasnít let down by this. Totally deserving of the praise it gets. Excellent. 8/4/10/5/19 2005 bottle: far dryer, heavier on the roast which throws of the balance from the big chocolate cream. Not as full of a body either, although the 2004 was like drinking pudding. Didnít blow me a way like before, although still a solid beer. 8/4/8/4/16 This would be somewhat of an average of the two.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jercraigs (8334) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2008 2008-08-15. Pitch black with a modest brown head. (4+) Aroma is a touch muted, chocolate and sweet malt. (7+) Flavour is super rich and sweet but simple. Rich sweet malt core. (7+) Smooth medium bodied palate. Solid but just not as awesome as past vintages. 8/4/8/4/16 - 4.0 2008 Vintage, Bottle shared by HogTownHarry

"Isnít that Paul Reuben???" - Blankboy.

Vintage 2004 2008-05-17. Black syrupy body with a modest dark khaki head. Sweet aroma, interesting fruity notes, light roast, sweet malt. (7+) Sweet malty foundation in the flavour with a lot of hop and roast bitterness. Light fruit/raisin notes. (7+) Think syrupy palate is full bodied but less rich than my memory of it. Admittedly it IS 4 years old, and I probably remember it being thicker than it was! I think it has reached the point where it is starting to go downhill, but is still lovely on its own merits. Many thanks to Frylock for the chance to have a second look from the same trade! 8/4/8/4/16-17 - 4.1 At Rudolfís, shared by Frylock

Vintage 2004/5 (Pink Wax) Black body with a small but thick brown chocolate milk coloured head. Lightly acidic malt dominates the aroma, with hints of raisins and other dark fruits. Mild alcohol presence and a light something I cannot place. Flavour has a lot of moderate lightly acidic roast malt throughout. A dry but not chalky cocoa finish makes sure to paint your mouth on the way down, with a slowly diminishing refrain. Full oily palate is quite nice. (4+) but still lacks that thick yogurt like body that I remember from my first sampling. Whether or not that first taste was as full bodied and smooth as I remember is another question. Thanks for sharing Paul, this is always a rare treat! 7-8/4/8-9/4+/17-18 - 4.4

Vintage 2005 RBSG 2005. Dark oily black body with a chocolate coloured head coats the glass. Aroma of mild acidity roast and dark chocolate. Dark roasty bitterness and some bitter chocolate, much more bitterness than expected. Full bodied palate yet still significantly thin compared to the 2004 I sampled. 7/4/7/4/15 - 3.7

Original Rating Bottle. 2004 Vintage Rated March 2004 at my apartment Beer Christening. Good chocolate coloured head sits proudly but does not linger long upon its throne of a thick viscous body that smoothly caresses its way across the palate. Frequent fleeting visits of mildly roasty bitter chocolate and occasionally the smallest clue that belies the alcoholic content of this fabulous beer. Layers of complexity in the flavour seem to reach out and taunt me with the fact that I will not soon have a chance to sample them again, before leaving me to ponder the brown film left across my glass. Part of me had hoped that a trip through Ontario might lessen the Dark Lordís power but he has brought me into his fold and I am a true believer. Many thanks to his disciple Frylock for spreading the Gospel of the Dark Lord to the Northern reaches of Toronto. 8/5/9/5/20 - 4.7