overall

RATINGS: 1648   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label

ElBastardo (13) - Illinois, USA - AUG 14, 2002
liquid chocolate mixed with toffe ,oozing black treacle flavor a Russian Imperial wet dream!!Glory to stouts in the highest!

jaymobrown (1647) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2002
" I donít think Iíll ever have a beer this thick again." Extreme thickness, well masked alcohol, coffee, chocoate, beautiful. A perfect ten.

Racegoer (351) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Insanely Thick, poured to me by Floydicus himself, deep dark,& rich, malty, absolutley outstanding. We did a side by side by side with WWS 18% & 23%, Dark Lord blew them away, complex, flavours of chocolate, coffee, malt, superb hops. This is a world class beer ! Highly Recommended

Kodos (200) - USA - DEC 24, 2002
I have tried quite a few Russian Impís. This has got to be the TOP! On tap. Dark, dark, dark. Not much aroma...? Super complex tastes...Chocolate, fruity/plum/nuts...so much more...Vanilla in the end. Is there alcohol in this? Wait a minute...Heat in my chest says yes...Oh yeah, 13+%. Not apparent in the taste at all. This has got to be Nickís BEST creation yet...PLEASE continue this beer . We ALL want moremoremore!!!

CherokeeJarod (54) - , USA - JAN 15, 2003
Growler Ĺ gallon When poured into the glass from the big glass, it was black, black and powerful as the name, and thick like a bottle of 10W 40. When held up to a high intensity light I noticed that the black wasn’t actually black, but a blood brown black. Dense was the color. The head seemed to bubble up towards the end, like the dark lord rising from the black primordial beginnings, its color was a medium brown color, thick but not deep. As I stuck my finger into it to see if it was as sticky as it looked, I swear I felt a pulling sensation. It was sticky but left no lace on the side of the glass. The aroma was intense! I nosed cherries, sweet malt (molasses), tobacco (like skoal or coppenhagen), wichester sauce and as I stirred it, the alcohol peaked its nose up at me and whispered “I’m here too”. The taste was thick and creamy. If there was carbonation I missed it. Not flat, just thick. I noticed flavors of sweet molasses, spices, port wine, fruit (cherries) as it warmed I also noticed hints of chocolate and more cherries and alcohol. Like many beers of this type this only got better as it warmed, warmed from the fires it was born from, stirred and created from the Dark One himself. Truly one of the greatest brews made. I felt different after only consuming 2 Ĺ pints of this potion, different like I was possessed. The wife said that she was either going to call a priest for a exorcism or take me straight to church because of the look on my face. It was an experience all its own. Thank You 3 Floyds for this beer. Thank you

Dogbrick (7586) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2003
Deepest gratitude to T.A.R. for this wicked beer, bottled from growler. This beer pours like it comes from the Land of Shadow itself. I expected to see the Eye of Mordor appear over the freshly poured glass. Completely black as Doom with a very thin dark beige head. Aroma is not subtle, it is mostly coffee, malt and alcohol. The flavor doesn't bother tip-toeing around either. Warming alcohol flavor gets progressively stronger as it warms, but never snuffs out the other flavors of cocoa, coffee, surprisingly sweet malt, and raisins. There are enough hops in the finish to keep it from being too much. This beer is utterly perfect in every respect.

argo0 (11329) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 2, 2003
(RBSG2003): My first perfect score, and with good reason -- this is an amazing beer! Pitch black body with small brown head. Aroma is rich, plum/raisin, malty, moderately sweet, some anise. Taste is BIG! Dark fruit, sweet, rich, chococoffee. WOW! Finish is chococoffee, dark fruity with alcohol warming.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2005 2005 version: It was with great anticipation that I awaited the release of Dark Lord. Promoted a club trip to Three Floyds with tailgating and all. Make it an event. Well, it was fun. As for the beer . . . . This yearís batch is missing a dimension. Oh, the aroma is mostly there and the flavor is there and the appearance is there but the mouthfeel, the body has lost some of itís lustre. Filtering? Perhaps. Last yearís had that oily mouthfeel, that richness that clung to the tongue and embraced the tastebuds and made the mouth feel all warm and cuddly. That is missing this year. I gave last year a perfect 5.0 because I thought it was as damned near perfect as a beer could be. This yearís deserves high marks, too, but the change in the mouthfeel precludes any perfect score. Why mess with perfection? Yes, this is still an outstanding beer but just not up to last yearís standards.

2004 version: Oh my god! This is awesome. From the label to the aftertaste it was an amazing experience. The label artwork is a masterpiece. Hey, Nick, make T-shirts, posters, etc. Open it and pour. Jet black with a thick, foamy, dark tan head. Perfection. Take a sniff. Itís a beer you can get excited by just from the aroma. Chocolate, coffee, molasses. The taste? If I wrote a novel, it couldnít convey that flavor. Wow. Did I say Wow already? Well, Iím speechless. And I was able to share the experience with two good buddies, Gasspasser and Alcoholist. This beer lived up to the hype. It deserves the hype. Itís NOT hype. Itís fact. Just about perfection in a bottle. I gave Brooklyn Black Chocolate a perfect rating. In that case, this rates 5+. And I have three more bottles to enjoy. Hot damn!!

jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Pours a thick black without much more than a trace of head. It looks as omninous once poured as it did hiding behind that scary label. The aroma is quite complex, lots of scents detected, most noteably: Leather, licorice, chocolate, raisins, coffee, half-way dried roses, and maybe a hint of alcohol. Very complex flavor, I can't quite sort it all out. It's very heavy on the dried fruits and chocolate. Coffee notes are present throughout but seem to play just underneath the threshold. Slightly smoky finish. More notes can be deciphered but I can't find names for them all, besides whatever I did call them would sound something like "'x' crossed with 'y' with a hint of 'z'." All the flavors combine synergistacally(sp?) combine to form liquid poetry in my mouth. This beer is like a whore that is trying to get with every tastebud in my mouth that it can! The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and creamy without being offensive in any way. Drinkability is out of this world for a beer of this magnitude. I can't think of a beer with this abv that is this well hidden. The beer is infinitely interesting so boredom is no worry. Like I said before this beer is like intercourse for your tastebuds!

flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - MAR 18, 2004
Extremely thick black color with a reverse cascading brown head. Wonderful rich molasses, vanilla, roasted malt and slight alcohol aroma. Very sweet molasses, vanilla roasted malt, raspberry, citrus hops and dark fruit flavors. This is the thickest beer ever! It feels like a creamy, velvety smooth truffle. Deliciously chewey. I have no choice but to give this a perfect score!