overall

RATINGS: 1679   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with INTELLIGENTSIA coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - APR 9, 2006
Deep and wide chocolate cake and mocha aroma,blacker than black color, smooth creamy fudge chocolate cake with coffee, vanilla and oak overtones. All that going on, but I wouldnít describe it as overly complex. What makes it special is the high intensity fullness of the taste that is presented, and how the rich full palate hangs around, even as most others start letting the bitterness take over. Thanks to a special guardian angel of mine for this bottle. It was great , wonderful and I just donít see room for improvement,hence a 5 rating. And what could be better for rating # 500

adrian910ss (2361) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 1, 2006
2006 gold waxed top 22 oz bomber. FINALLY GOT SOME OF THIS, after trying for 3 long years to get it !!! Drove up to Munster,Indiana from PA with a friend for Dark Lord Day just to get this. Pours a pitch black oily color with a thick creamy brownish beige head. Aroma is full of rich dark chocolate,dark sweet cherries,molasses,fine malts, and sweetened whipped butter. Flavor is extremely complex and as rich and thick as an imperial stout can get. A perfect blend of dark rich chocolate,expresso, marashino cherries,malts,plums and currants. Leaves an aftertaste of slightly burnt molasses. As good as it gets !!! A SUPERB DRINKING EXPERIENCE !!!

LtJudge (468) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2006
2006 vintage.Thanks a MILLION to Brewblackhole for hooking me up with this one I love the cool gold waxed bottle cap,very neet!!Pours a dark tarish black with a small tan head. Has a wonderfully complex aromaís of coffee,caramel,choclate,vanilla and plums.Upon first sip...wow.You get a wonderful taste explosion that hits you from all sides.Massivly complex flavors of coffee,plums,caramel,burnts,and licorice. And the flavor stays with you for a long time.WoW. Wonderful stuff!A perfect brew for my 100th rating!

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Pours like a crazy tsunami! the tight knit bubbles rose up to meet the syrupy, oily brew. Huge coffee, chocolate and alcohol aroma. Deep chocolate and burnt coffee flavor. ABV is very present and warming. Very good.

screigh (464) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 24, 2006
Sampled the 2005 while at DL Day 2006. I donít know what to say beyond what has already been said. Amazing beer. It actually caught me off guard. Much more intense than I even imagined. I thought it could not live up to the hype but it more than did. I have 2 bottles of 2006 cellared, canít wait!

mynie (44) - Waterloo, Iowa, USA - JUN 6, 2006
Itís too dark, for one. The head is little and brown which is pretty remarkable considering the massive amount of alcohol in thisóbut whatís really on display here is the darkness. Think about the time before you were born and thatís Dark Lord. Weíre raised to appreciate two kinds of goodness in the worlds of taste and of smell. Thereís the natural and the artificial. Cherry Jolly Ranchers taste good, and so do real cherries, even if they donít taste anything alike. This is a combination of the best natural, earthen, fruity, and grainy smells youíve ever come across, along with the best unnatural, chemical smells. The thing is that these smells are natural, just so intense as to defy nature. Kids donít know the smells of unprocessed molasses, burnt grain, or wood smoke. This would seem like a medicine chest mixed with a cookie jar mixed with a walk in a fieldóone whiff could scar a kid for life. Too much complexity. On the very tip of the tongue it tastes like a dark wine, then it gets bittersweet, like fire roasted grain, browning apples, and molasses, then it gets regular sweet, like half-dark chocolate and a cafť mocha, and then it gets a little zippy, like Belgian alcohol and yeast. Thatísóthatís like youíre falling down a hill of flavor and then you climb it back up again, from the valley of the alcohol, into the sweet, and then into the bittersweet, and then into the wine. Giving this to a child would be like giving them a bar of acid and taking them to Disneyland. Nothing would ever make them feel happy again, ever.

ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
2006 bottle. Huge thanks to Hopscotch for sending this my way. Also have to thank TBC2 for sending me a second bottle, which allowed me to drink a fresh one. One I peeled off the wax and opened this one, the entire area filled up with molasses and coffee smells. Poured black, like night, with a tan head. This was probably the darkest beer I have poured. Took a sip, and damn! it was offensive. I was going to be disappointed. Let it sit for 15 minutes before attempting sip #2. That was what did it. When it was too cold, it was very sharp with alcohol, and not very good. After the 15 minutes and warming up some it simply exploded with flavor, and the alcohol seemingly went away. The beer was so thick it was about impossible to gulp. Tasted sweet, full of cofee, and molasses. Very smooth, and the best beer I have ever drank. Hands down, perfect score. Believe everything you read and hear about this one. It is not replaceable, and its the beer that is deserving of a 5 if ever there was one.

jgd0608 (187) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - JAN 3, 2007
06 bottle courtesy of Walt!!! Holy shit thank you!!!!! Pours a thick thick lack, with a dark tan head, looks more like some 20-50 oil than beer. Did i mention the smell hit me right once i popped the top??? I smell Coffee, dark chocolate, plum, and almost whats like one of the carmel apple suckers i use to have when i was a kid. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have perfection. Thick like pudding, and feels as if there are 10 thousand angels dancing on my tongue. Just the slightest alcohol burn, but it warms you up REAL nice. Around the beer as it got farther down it left like a dark orange lacing. I canít Wait!!!! and will do whatever i gotta do to have this again. If there was a rating on impression i was left with, i would give it a Zero, because now i have to hope that every beer tastes like this, and i donít think any will get close to makin par. Wow

wickster (85) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 2, 2007
In every way, the worlds most perfect beer. I had the joy of tasting this out of a bottle on release day in í06. Very strong aroma...poured so think I was as giddy as a school girl watching it...increadable. I jut tapped a bottle on Jan 1st I had cellared in a dark closet since release day....couldnít believe how much this beer mellowed with age....as great as I thought it was on day1, I enjoyed it even more now. If thre was any harshnes to the beer before, all edges were rounded....reminded me of a find brandy or something....I still hve one left...I have to find a way to make it last until the next release, two months away!

DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 1, 2007
UPDATED: APR 27, 2008 2007 bottle with silver wax. This is my most anticipated beer I have had so far so it has a lot to live up to. Pours pitch black with a tiny bit of rusty bubbles that soon form a circle and disappear forever. In the glass it is dark black with a deep red color around the edges. As I drink the beer it stains the glass brown and stays that way. Very cool looking. The aroma improves as it warms up, peaking close to room temperature. Very roasty and chocolatey at first. After awhile there is some alcohol underneath but it is not unpleasant or overpowering in any way, which is impressive with such a new bottle. The first sip I notice first the extreme richness and the ridiculous thickness in the mouth. This has the best mouthfeel of any beer Iíve ever had. Extremely thick, creamy, and chewy. The chocolate and roastiness come through in the flavor in a big way with some bitter coffee, chocolate covered cherries, and some hops buried in there somewhere. I can feel the alcohol warmth but cannot taste any. Amazingly balanced and complex. This lived up to the hype and I honestly cannot see any flaws. I canít wait to see how this ages.

Re-rate. Almost a year exactly after I tried this, my highest rated beer, I figured I should revisit it with the new vintage being released. In the last 364 days I have been able to try the 07 version half a dozen more times plus an 05 and an 06. All have been different, sometimes Iím disappointed and sometimes Iím blown away. The 5.0 rating stands for the first time I ever tried this. I am not entirely sure it is truly a 5.0 beer but I was blown away that first time and my rating will stay to reflect that.

The black waxed, 08 version releases intense aromas from feet away when I pop the cap. It pours that same beautiful, extremely dark and thick black color with a rusty cap. The head formation and retention are better at such a young age than I expected. First aroma detected is intense cherry. If I didnít know what this was Iíd think itís a cherry stout. Fresh, ripe cherries, not that aged dark fruit smell that some other imperial stouts smell like. Other aromas are chocolate cake with vanilla icing, pudding, slight coffee, chocolate covered cherries. I know of no other beer that smells like this. Flavor is rich as hell, smooth, sweet with a wonderful balanced fresh fruit flavor with some chocolate. Creamy, chocolate cake and brownies, mocha. Super long finish thatís fairly bitter, full mouthfeel (but of course). The heaviness in the mouth is just gorgeous, something I now crave in all imperial stouts but very few provide without being cloying. Itís hard to compare the 07 and 08 versions to decide which is better. Suffice to say this beer still rocks.