overall

RATINGS: 2074   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheadís dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrockLanders (779) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Bottle....thanks Scott...you are the man. This is one awesome imp IPA. Hazy orange/amber body, medium-sized white head. Aroma VERY citrusy; orange and grapfruit dominate, with some alcohol present. Flavor is bold and hoppy, again more citrusy than piney. Very thick mouthfeel, much more so than I experienced with DFH 90 min or Stone Ruiniation. I’d like to do a taster of all three at the same time, but since I can’t I’ll have to say this is my favorite. If you knew how much I like the other two you’d know how much of a complement this is. This is a great beer. Rated at 4.5 Re-rate for Jan ’05. Thanks DavidP for sending this. It was sooo nice to revisit this wonderful ale. Interestingly, this new bottle was not near as hazy as the last ones I had...this time it was a nice translucent amber-orange with that nice small white head that dissipates quickly. I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been uttered about this very fine I2PA. My only regret is that I can’t touch it here in the panhandle of FL. Maybe someday..... Rated at 4.7...yep, itís that good.

Spliffy (55) - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA - JAN 18, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2007 The best brew in my opinion, period!! I have had most of the top and I will have to say that only one or two Imperialís come withiní a five mile radius of this immaculate liquid! The flavor, aroma, mouthfeel, apperance etc.....bleed of HOPS and PERFECTION!!!! I celebrate with the Dread rather then champagne!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dorwart (2412) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JAN 17, 2005
Finally, I come to the big boy. Have been waiting along time for this one since I am quickly becoming a hop-head. Decent sized off-white head of fine bubbles with the light carbonation. Succulent aroma. Not as hoppy as I though. Some grapefruit and a bit of spruce. Decent malt balance in the aroma though. Usually an imperial is dominated by hops in the nose and you can barely detect the malts. Color is a slightly cloudy dark orange. Wow. Nice malt backbone. The dominant note in this beer is the malt and not the hops. Hops are still there but act to enhance the experience. Smooth and creamy in the mouth with a touch of orange, butter and pine. ALcohol presence also and warms slightly as it goes down. Crisp and slightly bitter. Long bitter, resinous finish. Not as clean as some of the other IIPAís which give the brew itís long finish. One of the best balanced IIPAís I have ever had. Great big thanks to bunkypop and joe (romero?) for this gem.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
kane (111) - USA - JAN 13, 2005
UPDATED: APR 10, 2005 Either you love pine or you dont. I find it cloying and tiring after awhile and I have always had trouble finishing the bomber, on tap it is not as bad. For me the pine is dominant in the aroma and gives this a resinous mouthfeel. Reminds me of that fake pine spray that can be sprayed on artifical Christmas trees. A quality beer that I do not enjoy. As a side note this bomber is now $10, when it was released 2 years ago it was $5, the $5 increase in 2 years is the most I have ever seen in any beer. Thanks Ratebeer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JAN 13, 2005
IPAs are my favorite and this is my favorite IIPA, so I guess this makes Dreadnaught my favorite beer right now. Orange in color with a small white head that dissipates pretty quickly. The citrusy hop aroma is excellent, as well as the hop flavor. I think this is the most well balanced of malt vs. hops of any of the IIPAs. Great beer!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - JAN 11, 2005
Finally, after searching for this brew throughout the universe, thanks a ton to batkins for this amazing brew. This brew is all that its cracked up to be, really impressive. And I thought my homebrew clone was good, well this thing blows it out of the water. This thing has a ton of sweet citrus hops, very crisp smelling. Taste starts with a buttery smooth sweetness, fading nicely to balance it all out with a beautiful display of hoppiness. Crisp citrus hops, not overly bitter, but just right, very even tasting brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
shadey (1970) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 9, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2007 Orange color with a thin head. Plenty of hop aroma. Balanced flavor with some pretty decent alcohol heat. I am not going crazy over this stuff, but its very easy drinking for an imperial. 6/3/7/3/15

RERATE: 6 Month Old Bottle. Pour is mellon colored, clear and with no head. Aroma is rich citrus and pine. Complex and attractive. The flavor is fresh on the tongue, citrus, grapefruit, pine, and a touch of sugary sweetness. Body is crisp, clean and refreshing for a beer of this strength. Much better than I remembered. 9/3/9/5/18

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gorbalev (2988) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2006 Had this again with the regular crew and my numbers came out exactly the same. It was interesting trying it again, after having a ton of beers in the style in the mean time, and to see that this one still holds up very well. In fact, I found it a little bit less in your face like Hercules and ridiculously easy to drink. Man, I love this stuff...numbers stay the same... Dark Orange pour. Small white head. Lovely, inviting balanced dose of fresh hops in aroma - canít describe how much this aroma made me want to try this beer. Very hoppy malty brew - again, incredibly well balanced for this much going on. The hops were citrusy and prominent, but not overpowering (or obvious - I couldnít pick out the type). Just a solid beer. Thanks for sharing jercraigs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
shrubber85 (8492) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - DEC 22, 2004
Bottle. Flowery, citrusy hops aroma. LIght tan - slightly cloudy with little head. Strong hops flavor up front with a sweet melon finish. Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
jercraigs (8288) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 22, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2009 2009-09-26. No notes. Sample on tap at the brewpub was a pretty solid IPA but does not quite live up to my memory of trying it in bottles in the past. Will see if my bottles from the brewery will live up to the previous experiences. On tap at Three Floydís, Munster.

July 2006. Bottle. Big citrus aroma with sweet orange and grapefruit that reminds me at times of a vidal icewine, muted malt but enough to be supportive, light spruce/pine branches. Fair bit of hoppy bitterness, light resin, sweet malty base. Medium to full body is just about perfect for the beer. Now I will stop writing and just enjoy this. Thanks very much for sharing guys! 9/4/9/4+/20 - 4.6 (Bumped a bit to offset the previous under rating!)

July 2004. Orange body, smallish but nice off white head. Big hoppy aroma, some orangey citrus. Vaguest hint of alcohol and some resin. Flavour is similarly very hoppy with plenty of hoppy bitterness as well. Dangerously quaffable, showing only a glimpse of the alcohol present. Very smooth, medium to full bodied palate. Leaves the tongue ravaged and spent in an oh so pleasant manner. Extremely good, to the point where I didnít take notes equal to the beer because I was busy enjoying it. Thanks for this bottle Gunny. 8/4/9/4/18 - 4.3