overall

RATINGS: 2088   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheadís dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1798) - Bakersfield, California, USA - FEB 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2008 2003 bottle by way of temporrari.poured into a snifter to recieve a beautiful golden brown with a white head that simmered quickly.i lifted the dread to my nose and gathered some pine,citurs,floral,caramel,and forest type aromas.the flavor was nice and complex.pine,caramel,earth,flowers,citurs,and hay all blended well onto my tounge.it also had a nice thick mouthfeel with a bit of a bite right inthe middle.this is yet another outstanding brew by the floydís brothers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 6, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2005 One of the top three IIPAs Iíve ever had. Great grapefruit and citrus floral aroma whets the appetite. Great cloudy brooding color, seems to be roiling and churning in the glass. Tastes of intense hops (citrus and pine) with a sweet malty undertone. Great bitter finish, but never out of control or over the top. These guys know what theyíre doing. (Sampled fresh at the brewery tasting room.)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - FEB 4, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2008 Iíve been waiting for this to come around for some time. I will take into account the price tag ($9/750ml) when rating. The pour is perfect, copper in color with a heavy off white head. The hop aroma is dominating - juicy grapefuit and orange mixed with fresh floral. It goes a little deeper and actually smells somewhat like the hopís cooler, older brother, Cannabis. (Not that I would know though.) This is the hop-daddy. The little bit of sweet malt presence in the start is instantly swept away in a waterwall of hop flavor that just doesnít stop. The finish is nicely balanced with strong notes of pine and just enough bitterness to leave you wanting more. This is alot of excitement for the taste buds all at once and probably should be enjoyed in moderation. At $9 a bottle, this brew is still rated Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - JAN 25, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2006 Poured a golden orange color with a small white head. Aroma is big grapefruit, pine, and sweet caramel. Flavor continues with the hoppy grapefruit, cirtus, and pine. A big malt backing gives this beer a great balance with the hops and alcohol. Medium to full bodied with a nice finish. </br> </br> Cask @ DL06 on 4/29/06 Nice big hoppy gapefruit aroma (not as big as the Khan had just before). Huge hop flavor and sugary sweetness. Grapefruit and citrus flavors. Full bodied. 9/4/9/5/18 While this would go up to a 4.5 I will leave it as is since it isnít bottled and I probably wont be getting it again. :(

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Bottle....thanks Scott...you are the man. This is one awesome imp IPA. Hazy orange/amber body, medium-sized white head. Aroma VERY citrusy; orange and grapfruit dominate, with some alcohol present. Flavor is bold and hoppy, again more citrusy than piney. Very thick mouthfeel, much more so than I experienced with DFH 90 min or Stone Ruiniation. I’d like to do a taster of all three at the same time, but since I can’t I’ll have to say this is my favorite. If you knew how much I like the other two you’d know how much of a complement this is. This is a great beer. Rated at 4.5 Re-rate for Jan ’05. Thanks DavidP for sending this. It was sooo nice to revisit this wonderful ale. Interestingly, this new bottle was not near as hazy as the last ones I had...this time it was a nice translucent amber-orange with that nice small white head that dissipates quickly. I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been uttered about this very fine I2PA. My only regret is that I can’t touch it here in the panhandle of FL. Maybe someday..... Rated at 4.7...yep, itís that good.

Spliffy (55) - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA - JAN 18, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2007 The best brew in my opinion, period!! I have had most of the top and I will have to say that only one or two Imperialís come withiní a five mile radius of this immaculate liquid! The flavor, aroma, mouthfeel, apperance etc.....bleed of HOPS and PERFECTION!!!! I celebrate with the Dread rather then champagne!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dorwart (2439) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JAN 17, 2005
Finally, I come to the big boy. Have been waiting along time for this one since I am quickly becoming a hop-head. Decent sized off-white head of fine bubbles with the light carbonation. Succulent aroma. Not as hoppy as I though. Some grapefruit and a bit of spruce. Decent malt balance in the aroma though. Usually an imperial is dominated by hops in the nose and you can barely detect the malts. Color is a slightly cloudy dark orange. Wow. Nice malt backbone. The dominant note in this beer is the malt and not the hops. Hops are still there but act to enhance the experience. Smooth and creamy in the mouth with a touch of orange, butter and pine. ALcohol presence also and warms slightly as it goes down. Crisp and slightly bitter. Long bitter, resinous finish. Not as clean as some of the other IIPAís which give the brew itís long finish. One of the best balanced IIPAís I have ever had. Great big thanks to bunkypop and joe (romero?) for this gem.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
kane (111) - USA - JAN 13, 2005
UPDATED: APR 10, 2005 Either you love pine or you dont. I find it cloying and tiring after awhile and I have always had trouble finishing the bomber, on tap it is not as bad. For me the pine is dominant in the aroma and gives this a resinous mouthfeel. Reminds me of that fake pine spray that can be sprayed on artifical Christmas trees. A quality beer that I do not enjoy. As a side note this bomber is now $10, when it was released 2 years ago it was $5, the $5 increase in 2 years is the most I have ever seen in any beer. Thanks Ratebeer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JAN 13, 2005
IPAs are my favorite and this is my favorite IIPA, so I guess this makes Dreadnaught my favorite beer right now. Orange in color with a small white head that dissipates pretty quickly. The citrusy hop aroma is excellent, as well as the hop flavor. I think this is the most well balanced of malt vs. hops of any of the IIPAs. Great beer!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - JAN 11, 2005
Finally, after searching for this brew throughout the universe, thanks a ton to batkins for this amazing brew. This brew is all that its cracked up to be, really impressive. And I thought my homebrew clone was good, well this thing blows it out of the water. This thing has a ton of sweet citrus hops, very crisp smelling. Taste starts with a buttery smooth sweetness, fading nicely to balance it all out with a beautiful display of hoppiness. Crisp citrus hops, not overly bitter, but just right, very even tasting brew.