overall

RATINGS: 2022   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheadís dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 28, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2007 On tap at the brewery. The pour reveals an attractive clear golden color with a medium white head. Superb aroma of fruity hops accompanied by some sturdy malt. The flavor is amazing, the hops are strong, assertive and feel fruity (mangos, peaches, citrus), but this beer isnít just about hops, thereís a sturdy malt backbone that gives balance to this gem, I like the balance in this beer and I also like that the alcohol is not present, the whole ride finishes with a strong and lasting bitterness. The body has a light to medium thickness with a creamy texture and moderate carbonation. It was well worth the whole trip from Montreal to sample this amazing beer on tap, I would do it again any time.

DocLock (7860) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 23, 2004
An extra special thanks to atpayne (Adam) for this one. Adam was good enough to trade me three different FFF styles for some quality PA and NY beers, and FFF has eclipsed Stone as my current favorite brewer. I drank this one out of a Corsendonk tulip glass. It pours a turbid pumpkin pie colored (I verified, from the label, that this is bottle conditioned), with a reverse "Guinness cascade" going on...super heady, carbonation moving from bottom to top. Great lace. It's funny...I just described seeing the Taj Mahal in the lace of a previous beer, and this one has a drawing of the Taj Mahal on the label! Aroma of HUGE pineapple, grapefruit, hops, pears, applesauce, and honeydew melon. Tastes extremely hoppy, with hints of all the above mentioned fruits, citrus, and chardonnay. Finishes very hoppy, fruity, citrusy, crisp, smooth, with extremely well hidden alcohol (I estimated 6-7...this doesn't taste like 9.5). Amazingly complex...each swallow brings slightly new aromas and flavors. As it warmed, I noticed even more complex aromas and flavors. I gave the Stoudt's IPA a 5.0, and this one is just as deserving, for slightly different reasons. This one is hoppier, but somewhat less complex than the Stoudt's IPA, in my opinion. This one surpasses the Dogfish 90 minute IPA. I see no deductions in this one, and I want to thank atpayne again for this exceptional beer. Three Floyds beers will bend you over the table, shove complexity and hops up your ass, and make you cry mercy. Fucking OUTSTANDING!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrunkenLooser (22) - Frankfort, Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2004
Nice citrus flavor and perfect hop content. Awesome at the brewery. This brew really packs a wallop also! Best offering from Three Floys yet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - APR 20, 2004
Mmmmmm...this and Stone are the best imo! Hops and malts are well balanced for an IPA; floral/citrusy aroma and flavor and very warming going down!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
heemer77 (5100) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - APR 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2008 A newer rating, spring of í08. This beer is a shadow of itís previous incarnations. The primary massive tropical fruit hosp are gone as well as any malt balance. Jus tanother IIPA stuck in the crowd. New rating. This has definitely changed in character. A slightly thinner mouthfeel, a drier taste and finish. Obviously more hops than before or less malts. The sweetness that differentiated it before are gone. This is more like a standard IIPA. I hate to do it, while still excellent, this beer is not what it once was. Original rating follows. This is a sublime mixture of both bitterness and sweetness. Pours a very deep orange with lots of lacing and a medium head that fades to a sprinkling on the top. Intense aromas of pine and marmalade. There are also sweet notes of peach and honey. The flavor is at least as complex. You get an initial pine and orange peel bitterness that get countered by honey and caramel sweetness later. The bitterness stays pronounced enough to keep me wondering what is coming with each drink. Absolutely an incredible joy to partake. Wished FFF would get this out my way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rastacouere (6129) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 18, 2004
UPDATED: APR 19, 2004 Clear dark gold/orange body with a white film. Possibly the best hop aroma I've smelled. They are there, all over the place, the big juicy grapefruity hops, but they're more than that, they're a perfume, they're the pine cardboard you put on the mirror in your car, they're the orange you ate this morning, they're the lemon juice you've put over your salmon yesterday, they're your freshly cut grass on a sunny june day. Hops, all over the place and then some, and a bit of alcohol and some heavy malt. Quite complex adventure. The first sip then adds some, grass, grapefruity, but more than that. There's a mineral saltiness in there, alcohol peaks and thick malt layers, honeyish chewy malt. Texture is smooth, creamy, very thick. Definitely my favorite I2PA and it may even convince me to seek a few others out, but I'm still far from sold to the green side, the hophead clan. Worth another tribute to Raindog for providing me with this modern classic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 18, 2004
UPDATED: APR 26, 2007 2003 bomber. Thanks to EddieG for this one. Had at about 54-60 degrees in a huge snifter. Pours a bright and rosy reddish-orange with soft copper tinges and bright fuscia hues. Aroma is magnificently bitter. Almost herbal and slightly minty even. Very floral and quite intense. It reminded me of DFH 90, but I think DFH 90 had the edge on sheer intensity. Moderate slightly off-white head, with some medium large bubbles arising. Ok, I cant wait any longer to try it. SLAP!!! Iím hit in the face with a bitter hops assault. But quickly to the rescue is a ton of caramel malting to balance. Balances out quite nicely and a full, rich, even body is discovered. Finish is light pine hops, some more caramel malt and quite chewy. This one was so full, powerful and intense it took me quite a while to finish. After I was done with my food (stilton and bread and pasta), I drank this alone and it seemed even more bitter. Now I canít take more than a small sip. Just immensely bitter. The most bitter beer I have had to date. Wow. It seems like the first half of the bottle I got all of the caramel malt flavor and the second half was all hops. Very pleased with the immense body though. Alcohol hidden quite well. It says bottle conditioned, but it is barely hazy, mostly clear. I would like to see more evidence of sediment. Traces of staleness on the very end detract, somewhat from the overall experience. I bet this would be insanely good on draught.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ross (2088) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - APR 13, 2004
hoppy smelling, wonderful looking pour- amber colored with thin white head. taste is bitter, so bitter that it is almost unpleasent, but in a weird way it isnt. this is the best IPA i have ever had. this is my new favorite beer, that will be included in every order i place online. WONDERFUL beer. alcohol is hidden pretty well, yet it will take a while to drink this. SO good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - APR 12, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2005 This beer pours a glowing amber orange color with slow rising carbonation bubbles. The aroma is wonderfully full of hops. Grapefruit and pine hit the nose and make you realise that this beer will be a hop lovers dream. The first taste doesnít loose a step from the aroma. It is very well balanced. It is very bitter and hoppy but there is just a tiny bit of malt sweetness in the background to not let the hops dominate the beer. The bitterness lingers and tanuts the toung making you want another sip as soon as possible. One of my favorite beers ever. -An added rating- Spring 2005- Amazing malt sweetness both in its presence and brevity at the front of the mouth. The sweetness is quickly taken over by glorious hops throughout the mouth. Combos of pine and pure grapefruit along with a thick tannin feel. The finish has a quick hit of alcohol and an amazingly clean finish. Definately the best beer Iíve ever had in my mouth. Iím increasing the rating as I think the flavor is the best Iíve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BUrunner (92) - Indiana, USA - APR 12, 2004
Poured beautifully...thick head, copper color. Citrus, floral aroma is intoxicating by itself and the flavor does not disappoint. Good balance between toasted malts and intense hops. Great mouthfeel, amazing finish. A really good beer!