overall

RATINGS: 1987   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 17, 2003
I had this beer out of a bottle from Kahns in Indianaplis, IN. The beer is a mid-amber color. It is able to be seen through. The taste is very full, very hoppy with grapefruit overtone. Extremely good IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zeswaft (1361) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 16, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2006 After being away from this beer for about 2 years I finally found it again. It’s still amazing. It seemed a lot more put together. There is still that overwhelming mango, grapefruit, and piney aroma. The palate was less syrupy than the last time and the malts were perfectly balanced with the amazing citrus hops. Why is it so hard to get a hold of this beer. Not to mention it was about twice as expensive as the last time I bought it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - DEC 9, 2003
Nice large head with medium bubbles--laces even before the first sip. Light brown color with tiny bit of haze. Very hoppy nose of grapefruit. Very drinkable. This beer cannot be as strong in ABV as it claims--I demand to see the specific gravity readings! Hop in the flavor everywhere, and it is well blended. Maltiness hits you in the middle and slides off the tongue with ease into a bitter finish of citrous and pine. Full palate that is delicious and complex. Slight alcohol in the aftertaste. This beer opens clogged sinuses. It feeds the poor. One day it could perhaps save the world!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - DEC 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 30, 2004 I finally made it to the brewery and picked some of this up. It really lives up to all the hype. The aroma is grapefruity with a touch of carmel. Appearence is a clear to hazy, medium amber orange. Not much head. Mouthful is oily and coats the tongue nicely. Taste is everything you would expect from this style. Taste is mostly grapefruit, but has a nice tropical fruit explosion with it. Finish is a very bitter grapefruit finish. Better than Yulesmith? Maybe. Better than Exponential? Probably not. Next time Exponential is available, I'll compare the two. This is well worth the 3 hour detour I took, and the risk of missing my flight at O'hare. Ever try to pee in a bottle while driving? That's what I had to do to get this and still make my flight. Well worth the spillage on my pants. Rerate: Right when I started to pour it, I could smell the fruitiness of the hops. I taste more sweetness to it this time. I had Exponential the other night, and the two are different. Exponential might be a little hoppier and less sweet. There's something about the Exponential that when it's just about gone you're saying, "Damn that was good". I still don't know which is better but damn, the Dreadnaught sure is good. Rererate 043004: I'm drinking my last bottle. It's a very sad time. One thing I suggest to people who are ready to try this is to let it warm just a little. It brings out the fruitiness a lot more.

Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - DEC 3, 2003
Bottled from a growler sent to Slikwily. Hazy amber with a thin white head. Huge aroma of caramel, grapefruit, pine and malt. Medium thick syrupy palate that coats the mouth. Flavor is an explosion of hops. Initially it is very sweet with loads of carmel, honey, apricot and grapefruit with a hint of alcohol. Then the pine starts to kick in for a long bittersweet finish. This is an excellent beer. Big thanks to Slikwily for this one!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 3, 2003
Another American IPA beaten to death with hops. I reckon this would be great if they toned the hops down a bit. Massive grapefruit, lychee and pine-citrus (pine-o-clean) flavours. Malts are smooth lightly sweet, but quickly (too quickly) hidden by the fatty hops. Tasted like deepfried hops in the end, little balance. I understand that its not really meant to be elegant or anything, but it could have done with some restraint or something. I don't even think i liked as much as the score i gave it.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
eczematic (1319) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - DEC 3, 2003
ok, a tough one to put numbers on. this is for me an ambitious failure, or a failed masterpiece, the apocalypse now of beer. the amazing thing is how it gets so close to actually pulling off a balanced flavour with the sheer quantity of ingredients in there. it's almost like a conventional pilsener malt/hops balance, to the power of ªº•¶™£¥ˆ†. the malt is clean, and smooth, slightly grainy and fresh, the hops are enormous, but i couldn't really notice the 1813746 IBU's cause the impurities of the hops all stack up, accumulate and form a giant citric/acetic/compost monster that swallows up everything in its path. nobody else seemed bothered by it, so maybe this is a beer that takes getting used to. but i still haven't really got into the whole american super-citrus high alpha stuff i guess.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (7861) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2008 Big clear amber with a huge white head. What a glorious nose full of fruit cocktail: pears, pineapple, grapes, and all other sorts of citrus fruits. A very strong hop aroma, similar to Alpha King. Maybe some mango and papayas in there as well. The flavor is just as awesome as the aroma. There is a background wood flavor and some light smoke. Not an intensely dry palate, somewhat wet and with a thin finish. Overall mouthfeel is just thick enough for a good IIPA in my book. This just has an extremely fresh taste and aroma. Very nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
SirTom (88) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 27, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 The perfect IPA? Yes. The perfect beer? Quite possibly. I can be a hophead when I want to. This was the best IPA I've ever had. It beats my previous favourite, Ruination. Very delicious, strong grapefruit (!) flavours. If only I could find this nearer to me...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Panzuriel (1283) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Strong bitter in a good way aroma with hints of fruit. Nice hazy brown liquid with a good foam. Nice full flavor of fruit with a bitter edge. Good solid flavor. Nice bitters on finish. A fine solid beer.