overall

RATINGS: 2039   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Aroma is incredibly floral with hops all over. The taste begins with a bang of hoppiness but is immediately balanced by sweetness. The finish has slight notes of alcohol but still persistent hops and light malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is slightly chewy, very silky smooth. The drinkability is incredible but dangerous considering the ABV%. **The more I have this, the more I realize that this is the perfect IPA, it has it all, and I've yet to have anything that rivals this beauty. I can't get enough.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JSmith1181 (13) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Holy crap I love this beer. Nuff said. I'd go into details but just get it for yourself, have no worries.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IPAndy (120) - minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 15, 2004
24 or 22 oz bottle. Hoppy, of course, but perhaps a bit too much fruitiness. While I liked this super-fruitiness in the smell, the taste was a bit over-whelming. Still tasty, but I wouldn't jump at drinking 24 oz at one time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jaysus (17) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2004 22 oz. Bottle: Fair head with large bubbles, large bubbles throughout tulip glass as well which rise to the top rapidly. Generous lacing, bright amber color. Fruity, bitter flavor. The hops are not as noticiable as the alcohol, which is a slight bummer to me. It is a nice beer, but failed to live up to my expectations based on all the good things I've head about it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAR 11, 2004
Sour bitter fruity aroma, pleasant. Very fresh tasting hopps, but only blatently obvious after the fruity sweet upfront flavor. Finishes, as you guessed, bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2006 Average-large white head, gold/amber body. Head is there for a while. Strong flowery aroma with pine and grapefruit, something I’d like put into air freshener. Taste is strong with hops, a little off balance with malt. Some grapefruit, sweet caramel, and a bitter finish that fades into a grapefruit rind taste. I detected some kind of stale bitterness in it, but it may have been the bittering hops. Very creamy texture. Overall, I love this beer. I need to do some tests with this... fresh versus "aged" a few months. I almost think I like it better with toned down hops, though, it does lose a bit in the aroma dept I believe. (9 / 5 / 8 / 4 / 17) Update 3/7/2006 - Fresh batch, I presume. This beer has lost its edge. After I had it the first time, I thought it was just a touch overrated.... but still remember it as being huge. Now, its just a big IPA. Not huge, not phenomenal, just there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (5224) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 6, 2004
Cloudy orange, big sloppy white head. Citrusy sweet aroma - grapefruit and pine intermixed. Nice thick, almost viscous mouthfeel. Sharp grapefruit and pine hops are paired with woodsy, thick malt flavors to balance and support the bitterness. As the beer warms, sweeter flavor slowly emerge - honeydew, perhaps - but never over power the hops. Really intense, but really easy to drink. Thanks to Aracauna for this one!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 3, 2004
Pours a orang/yellow hue. Smell is a coppery tinnish smell. I get a decent head that dissipates to a small white head as the brew settles in. First taste is hit with the usual I.P.A bitterness. Sweet at the start like a grapefruit that has suger on it, then bam it hits you with a kick. Over all it is a darn good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 3, 2004
Light copper amber body, tight white head. Sweet lace! Citrucy, dry and alcoholic. floral and citrucy with berry undertones. Biting and piney as well. Sweet, fruity and floral, then bitter and strong. Tasty and effervescent. some stickiness hold chocolatey and woody notes on the palate for a bit. Complex and intricate, full bodied, cleans up well leaving a long, warm, complex finish. This is a really well made beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jzzbassman (1516) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Yellow/ orange with a small compact head. Aroma of drying alfalfa hay, and with a very citrus tinge to the flavor. Not as balanced as the Bell's Imperial (my only other IIPA so far), with the alcohol and bitterness noticable, although it seemed to be lacking something. Overall, a nice beer but I hope they keep tinkering with it, as it could stand a little improvement.