overall

RATINGS: 1987   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kyzr (1147) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2008 What else can really be said about this beer. The one thing I noticed was how creamy the finish was. Just like a creamed soda. Loved it! Oh by the way, great balance of hops to malt. I had this again at the Map room in Chicago on draft. Hops are what I love, and this thing rocked it to the core!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - OCT 18, 2003
Draft: nice blend of malt and hops. Cloudy orange. Big and bitter - hides the alcohol well. Excellent brew.

haddon90 (1429) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 17, 2003
Wow! I think this is the best Imperial IPA ever! Great pour with a frothy white head. Cloudy amber/orange color with a very strong hoppy, flora aroma. Strong hop presence with a spice to the flavor and wheat maybe??? Pretty smooth. Reminds me of a Harvest Ale. Definitely the #1 Imperial IPA!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - OCT 8, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2004 Saved this one for my 100th rated beer. These are my thoughts: Picture perfect pour. Billoughy eggshell white head little lacing. First taste: Grapefruit/floral/Sweet/powerful - initial bombardment of my tongue. Very Interesting they master that initial kickoff everytime. I definitely like this beer better than the Alpha King. After the initial bombardment nice smooth underflavor to invite you to consume the rest. Very potent elixir too. Stronger grapefruit presense as you work your way further into the bottle. Much more prevalent and with a little bitter kick. This is the best IPA I can say I've ever had. Still like the APA's too. The only reason I'm not giving the 5.0 to this one is because Three Floyds pimped me earlier this year with running out of T-shirts and I ordered two. If you hadn't sent my check back and sent me my shirts you would gotten a 5.0 rating.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 8, 2003
It poured with a nice head. Good lacing all around the glass. Dark orange/yellow in color. Wonderful aroma but lacking just a little something. Definitely hoppy with some malt flavors that try to mellow it out. Too bitter for a great IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 7, 2003
Pours a beautiful mahogany with nice head full of small bubbles and nice lacing. MMM, hops, hops and more hops in the nose. Malt and some citrus accompany that. Yummy. Creamy body with a nice balance of hops, small fruit, and malt. It finishes nice, dry and bitter. Woo! Great IIPA!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 6, 2003
This is a great IPA. Hoppy, malty, fruity, lots of flavor. Finish is bittersweet, smooth, clean, and dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
theakston (64) - arlington, Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2003
Nicely balanced, not overly bitter or herbal malty sweetness with a citrus tang. A little syrupy / thick mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Sweet, hoppy, and citric aroma. Copper colored with a creamy, medium sized head. Big malts, and big hops that blend nicely. Some lemony citrus notes come through. Lingering cascade like bitterness. Although this is a big beer, it is very drinkable and not over the top.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Wow! I finally had a chance to sample the vaunted Dreadnaught Imperial IPA, and I have to say it lives up to the ratings. Bottle (from a trade with Marinaro500 thanks dude!). Poured thick and deep amber, slightly hazy and cleared as it warmed up. Off white head lingered and left some lacing. The aroma is amazing, rich, heavy malts, pine and citrus hops and lots of 'em. Flavor is about as close to heaven as I can imagine. Really amazing combination of sweet, thick, roasted maltiness, honey, gluten, with a twist your tongue and pucker your lips hoppiness and a lingering finish that defies description. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy, smooth and round with the right amount of carbonation. This is my first Three Floyds and I love it. Stone Ruination (which is readily available to me) is close to this, but doesn't quite hit the same mark. I want more!!!