overall

RATINGS: 1952   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2003
Orange to red body with a thin white head. Lacing.
Huge hops nose. Citrus and sweetness to the extreme. It's nearly over-powering.
Hops are surprisingly subdued for what there was in the aroma. Still hoppy to the extreme. And it just doesn't balance out too well for me.
Smooth and super full-bodied mouthfeel.
This stuff is like getting bitch slapped.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 17, 2003
deep amber, big white head. grapefruit hops, sweet malt and apply fruit aroma. amazingly big and chewy mouthfeel. caramel sweetness with big hop flavour, but a softer hop finish than I expected. nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JUL 15, 2003
Finally my search has ended. Been dying to try one of my favorite styles from one of my favorite brewers. I saved this for after my day of skydiving for necessary celebration. This masterpiece pours a sparkling medium copper. The tall creamy off-white head is super dense, fully lasting and has great lacing. The nose is divine with big citrus hops, and brown sugar. Smells like candied orange peels. If the aroma is supposed to fill me with the desire to imbibe the brew, then this passes with flying colors. The feeling in my mouth is one of a flavor explosion. Oh God, I'm cumming!! The sweet fruity alcohol is balanced with burt hops bitterness. Very deep and complex, improving as the brew warms. The body is full and firm coating the tongue like dishsoap. Full, lively and dry. With a slight improvement on the lacing I'd give this one a 5!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrnkMcDermott (2748) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUL 13, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2004 Draft, at the brewery. It's like a trip to the emergency room because you've stuck a whole bag of hop pellets up your nose. If you thought Alpha King was getting a little too tame, this'll put you back to rights. Big citrus/grapefruit hop aroma twists your tongue while masking an insidious bunch of alky-hol. I see many people have rated this even higher than I have, in a field that inspires a lot of high-rated beers. I'll agree with everything being said here, I just find it hard to reserve my highest rating for something extra special when 3F has so much great stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2010 As soon as opened the bottle the aroma just blasted right out at me and I knew I was in for a treat. Big citrusy aroma, orange, passionfruit, grapefruit and white grapes come to mind but none more than Pineapple!!!!. Beautiful almost orange color, slightly cloudy from the bottle fermentation and a frothy head yielding good retention. This is the biggest IPA I’ve had that wasn’t from the west coast. This ale has a smooth medium bodied texture that is slightly chewy and nearly perfect. I find this similar to Moylans Double IPA and maybe even better. Flavors are grapefruit, hops and more hops with malt somewhere in the background. Only a slight bitterness in the finish. I didn’t realize the abv was 9.5, and wouldn’t have known it if I hadn’t read it here. I didn’t taste it but I certainly feel it. This is one giant IPA. If your a fan of the big west coast IPA’s as I am, you will love this one!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoppygrrrl (104) - Albion, Michigan, USA - JUL 8, 2003
Oh hops, glorious hops! What a complex, wonderful aroma and flavor to behold! Forgive me for waxing a bit poetic, but if you've tried it, you know why! Strong notes of grapefruit and rasberry (it smells more like fresh fruit than fresh fruit!), but mostly just great hops -this IPA tastes so delicious and pure. I can't wait to have it again; but wait - I still have 1/2 a glass left...yes!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
igneous1 (1489) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - JUL 8, 2003
beautiful copper color with a hint of orange. head is slightly off-white and surprisingly thin. aroma is this absolutely incredible perfect amalgamation of the hops and malts. the caramel and toffee, and brown sugar aromas make their presence known! while the hops are an excellent mixture of grapefruit and pine resin. i even detect a slight earthy quality to the aroma. mouthfeel is very thick and oily with huge grapefruit dominating over the piney quality. extremely long somewhat mouth-numbing finish. as Hop Devil is lighter and crisper, this beer is huge without being monstrously heavy. this beer is probably even a little better than Yulesmith due to the outstanding balance (especially in the aroma) of the malt and hops. if this beer is better on tap, i just dont see how. as i have never given a 5.0 for a beer, i wont here either....that said, i dont see how this beer could be any better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2003
Okay, how excited was I at having the opportunity to try this legendary beer? Man, what a damn good beer. I am so sucker punched by these beers that provide such good flavor within their category but also so much beyond it as well. This IPA is surely hopped adequately and bitter enough, but they take a back seat as the wonderful creamy/rummy/chewy flavor and mouthfeel present themselves. A bit fruity (I mean beyond the typical IPA citrus) and slightly nutty - like hazelnut or butternut. A big, complex IPA that really sets the bar a bit higher.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2003
22oz bottle. Strong nose of citrus, pine, some berry. Thick white head with very nice lacing. Sharp American hop taste from the begining to the lingering finish yet is balanced by some malts, somewhat sweet at times. A full bodied huge beer with the alcohol well hidden.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kujo9 (1092) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2003
Wow is this stuff thick!!!! Orangey amber with a fine just off white head, and did I mention it pours like a fresh bottle of motor oil! Fantastic piney and grapefruit citrus hop aromas; Fruity and you have to search pretty hard for malt aromas, but they are there since this is dominated by hops. Flavor is also dominated by hops but it does have a pretty substantial malt backbone to balance. It does also have the fruitiness from the aroma and finishes on the malty side but with hop flavor and a pleasant lingering bitterness. Very smooth creamy mouthfeel without much of the 9% ABV showing up; a very dangerous thing. This is a good one! This one might be good enought to think you could drink it in quantity, but you'd better think again.