overall

RATINGS: 1987   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheadís dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 24, 2003
Huge aoma and flavor of citrus hops(Chinook/Cascades/Centennial).Bitter yet balanced well with a good malt character. The smoothest Imperial IPA I have had to date.

TChrome (1409) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2003
This beer is about HUGE amounts of hops. Beer has massive hop aroma of skunk weed and pine. Beer pours beautiful copper brown with a huge off white head that is fully retained. There is heavy lacing. The flavor is marvelous with an initial huge hop assault. The flavor then mellow as some nice malt sweetness kicks in. This is the best IPA going. It should be interested to see how the ratings within syles are altered after the new styles are introduced. This will obviously be in the Imperial IPA cagegory.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUL 24, 2003
Sharp initial intense nasal sensory attack of hops followed by caramnel and crystal malts. Bitterness on the palate, turning sweet and sugarry (much more sugarry than I could say of any WCIPA). Turns toffee appleish towards the end without the challenging bitterness. Pretty well balanced between hop assault and sweetness.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - JUL 21, 2003
Hard (ok, impossible) to follow krisbierjaeger but I just gotta put my raves in for this one. Thanks enormously to jcalabre for a high-end tasting session that I challenge anyone to top - we started with this wonderful IPA from a brewery normally impossible to access here in SoCal. Did not dwell on the bottle graphics, though I admit they seem sixties-inspired. This copper-colored stuff was pretty to behold, and possessed the familiar piney-citrus hops aroma of a new-world IPA. Compared to other 'big IPA's, this creation has a balance and drinkability that is unbelievable; you would never guess the abv. The malt character stands out but is backed by a strong finish of hops. Feels/tastes great in the mouth, sweet, complex and completely satisfying. Need more, more, more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2003
copper and clear, with a reflexive head which will neither delight nor disappoint. the label features glowing psychadelic lettering, but the central illustration is both cryptic and unsettling: it depicts blood trickling from the maw of a keg-impaled colonial brit; meanwhile ghoulish grey-skinned apparitions prod him with weapons, pewter mugs of "IPA" and some grill-burned slab of crimson meat. it's impossible to say what it means, but the orb-eyed brit is certainly dismayed-- not the kind of look produced by the consumption of excellent beer. (and the slogan "it's not normal" doesn't seem adequate). while i'm on a rave, the 3 floyd's logo is no better: an oozing glom of wormy fingers, it's supposed to be the hands of the floyd's coming together to hold the 3-F circle-- unfortunately they look less like hands and more like fungal growths of potted meat. so, i give a fourth 'F' for the design, and at six bucks a bottle, this beer had better perform like the cirque de soleil or i'm gonna be cranky. and indeed, the aroma slapped my misdirected disdain right out of the courtroom: these are mighty pine cone hops raised from birth on a steady diet of orange nectar and shots of kentucky straight bourbon; there are the caramel malts likewise nurtured like percherons on bottomless feedbags of vanilla, toasted grains and more honied-incendiary liquors. this flavor muscles into your life, shutting off the t.v., disconnecting your phone, duct-taping your squalling progeny-- so that it's olympean greatness can be announced like a supreme-court proclamation: the dreadnaught rocks, and american juris-brewdance will never be the same.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2003
Orange to red body with a thin white head. Lacing.
Huge hops nose. Citrus and sweetness to the extreme. It's nearly over-powering.
Hops are surprisingly subdued for what there was in the aroma. Still hoppy to the extreme. And it just doesn't balance out too well for me.
Smooth and super full-bodied mouthfeel.
This stuff is like getting bitch slapped.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 17, 2003
deep amber, big white head. grapefruit hops, sweet malt and apply fruit aroma. amazingly big and chewy mouthfeel. caramel sweetness with big hop flavour, but a softer hop finish than I expected. nice.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JUL 15, 2003
Finally my search has ended. Been dying to try one of my favorite styles from one of my favorite brewers. I saved this for after my day of skydiving for necessary celebration. This masterpiece pours a sparkling medium copper. The tall creamy off-white head is super dense, fully lasting and has great lacing. The nose is divine with big citrus hops, and brown sugar. Smells like candied orange peels. If the aroma is supposed to fill me with the desire to imbibe the brew, then this passes with flying colors. The feeling in my mouth is one of a flavor explosion. Oh God, I'm cumming!! The sweet fruity alcohol is balanced with burt hops bitterness. Very deep and complex, improving as the brew warms. The body is full and firm coating the tongue like dishsoap. Full, lively and dry. With a slight improvement on the lacing I'd give this one a 5!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrnkMcDermott (2776) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUL 13, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2004 Draft, at the brewery. It's like a trip to the emergency room because you've stuck a whole bag of hop pellets up your nose. If you thought Alpha King was getting a little too tame, this'll put you back to rights. Big citrus/grapefruit hop aroma twists your tongue while masking an insidious bunch of alky-hol. I see many people have rated this even higher than I have, in a field that inspires a lot of high-rated beers. I'll agree with everything being said here, I just find it hard to reserve my highest rating for something extra special when 3F has so much great stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2010 As soon as opened the bottle the aroma just blasted right out at me and I knew I was in for a treat. Big citrusy aroma, orange, passionfruit, grapefruit and white grapes come to mind but none more than Pineapple!!!!. Beautiful almost orange color, slightly cloudy from the bottle fermentation and a frothy head yielding good retention. This is the biggest IPA Iíve had that wasnít from the west coast. This ale has a smooth medium bodied texture that is slightly chewy and nearly perfect. I find this similar to Moylans Double IPA and maybe even better. Flavors are grapefruit, hops and more hops with malt somewhere in the background. Only a slight bitterness in the finish. I didnít realize the abv was 9.5, and wouldnít have known it if I hadnít read it here. I didnít taste it but I certainly feel it. This is one giant IPA. If your a fan of the big west coast IPAís as I am, you will love this one!