overall

RATINGS: 2008   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - JUL 11, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2010 As soon as opened the bottle the aroma just blasted right out at me and I knew I was in for a treat. Big citrusy aroma, orange, passionfruit, grapefruit and white grapes come to mind but none more than Pineapple!!!!. Beautiful almost orange color, slightly cloudy from the bottle fermentation and a frothy head yielding good retention. This is the biggest IPA I’ve had that wasn’t from the west coast. This ale has a smooth medium bodied texture that is slightly chewy and nearly perfect. I find this similar to Moylans Double IPA and maybe even better. Flavors are grapefruit, hops and more hops with malt somewhere in the background. Only a slight bitterness in the finish. I didn’t realize the abv was 9.5, and wouldn’t have known it if I hadn’t read it here. I didn’t taste it but I certainly feel it. This is one giant IPA. If your a fan of the big west coast IPA’s as I am, you will love this one!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoppygrrrl (104) - Albion, Michigan, USA - JUL 8, 2003
Oh hops, glorious hops! What a complex, wonderful aroma and flavor to behold! Forgive me for waxing a bit poetic, but if you've tried it, you know why! Strong notes of grapefruit and rasberry (it smells more like fresh fruit than fresh fruit!), but mostly just great hops -this IPA tastes so delicious and pure. I can't wait to have it again; but wait - I still have 1/2 a glass left...yes!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
igneous1 (1495) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - JUL 8, 2003
beautiful copper color with a hint of orange. head is slightly off-white and surprisingly thin. aroma is this absolutely incredible perfect amalgamation of the hops and malts. the caramel and toffee, and brown sugar aromas make their presence known! while the hops are an excellent mixture of grapefruit and pine resin. i even detect a slight earthy quality to the aroma. mouthfeel is very thick and oily with huge grapefruit dominating over the piney quality. extremely long somewhat mouth-numbing finish. as Hop Devil is lighter and crisper, this beer is huge without being monstrously heavy. this beer is probably even a little better than Yulesmith due to the outstanding balance (especially in the aroma) of the malt and hops. if this beer is better on tap, i just dont see how. as i have never given a 5.0 for a beer, i wont here either....that said, i dont see how this beer could be any better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2003
Okay, how excited was I at having the opportunity to try this legendary beer? Man, what a damn good beer. I am so sucker punched by these beers that provide such good flavor within their category but also so much beyond it as well. This IPA is surely hopped adequately and bitter enough, but they take a back seat as the wonderful creamy/rummy/chewy flavor and mouthfeel present themselves. A bit fruity (I mean beyond the typical IPA citrus) and slightly nutty - like hazelnut or butternut. A big, complex IPA that really sets the bar a bit higher.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2003
22oz bottle. Strong nose of citrus, pine, some berry. Thick white head with very nice lacing. Sharp American hop taste from the begining to the lingering finish yet is balanced by some malts, somewhat sweet at times. A full bodied huge beer with the alcohol well hidden.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2003
Wow is this stuff thick!!!! Orangey amber with a fine just off white head, and did I mention it pours like a fresh bottle of motor oil! Fantastic piney and grapefruit citrus hop aromas; Fruity and you have to search pretty hard for malt aromas, but they are there since this is dominated by hops. Flavor is also dominated by hops but it does have a pretty substantial malt backbone to balance. It does also have the fruitiness from the aroma and finishes on the malty side but with hop flavor and a pleasant lingering bitterness. Very smooth creamy mouthfeel without much of the 9% ABV showing up; a very dangerous thing. This is a good one! This one might be good enought to think you could drink it in quantity, but you'd better think again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 6, 2003
I was thinking this was just overhyped, but I was wrong. Turned out great much like the DFH 90 IPA, and for the same reasons. Even a stout and barleywine lover as myself can appreciate the deep complexity of this beer, evolved mainly in the generous but not overbearing hop profile. Few other IPA's leave you with such a great aftertaste that does not sting of hops. Great beer, great IPA, wish I had another bottle!

edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
6/21/03: bottle.
an explosive wonder of hop bursting aroma. nice crisp orange body. flavors of hops, purfume and oranges. lacing = check. fresh hop flava’.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Radek Kliber (6386) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUL 6, 2003
3F hopps with nice soft slightly vanilla. Spicy, surprisingly medium light body. Very drinkable, strong IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Traded a bottle of my homemade Blackberry Mead to Volgon (Thank You!)for a bottle of this, that I shared with ericnixon and my wife. The amber color was just this side of orange. Tiny effrevenscent bubbles rise slowly from the bottom of the glass. An unbelievable piney aroma that made me want to mop my kithen floor. I can imagine a 2 story tall Juiceman Juicer at the brewery: Hops go in the top, Dreadnaught comes out the bottom. I had to give less than perfect scores for Flavor, Palate and Overall Impression because IPA's in general are not my favorite beers, but I can't help but marvel at what had to go into making this one. Wow.