overall

RATINGS: 2079   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Sweet, hoppy, and citric aroma. Copper colored with a creamy, medium sized head. Big malts, and big hops that blend nicely. Some lemony citrus notes come through. Lingering cascade like bitterness. Although this is a big beer, it is very drinkable and not over the top.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Wow! I finally had a chance to sample the vaunted Dreadnaught Imperial IPA, and I have to say it lives up to the ratings. Bottle (from a trade with Marinaro500 thanks dude!). Poured thick and deep amber, slightly hazy and cleared as it warmed up. Off white head lingered and left some lacing. The aroma is amazing, rich, heavy malts, pine and citrus hops and lots of 'em. Flavor is about as close to heaven as I can imagine. Really amazing combination of sweet, thick, roasted maltiness, honey, gluten, with a twist your tongue and pucker your lips hoppiness and a lingering finish that defies description. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy, smooth and round with the right amount of carbonation. This is my first Three Floyds and I love it. Stone Ruination (which is readily available to me) is close to this, but doesn't quite hit the same mark. I want more!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
flemdawg (540) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - OCT 4, 2003
BIG Oktoberfest: The program said only Alpha King and Gumballhead would be attending, but then these bombers came out, and my mouth almost hit the floor, a great suprise. Golden color with a small white head. Huge aroma of hops. The first sip clung to my mouth. Thicker than I expected. Very hoppy as anticipated. It was the only beer that I got seconds on all day. Simply great.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Bottle. Wow! What a complex and amazing IPA. First smell was grapefruit, but I detected some roasted malt on my next. I had to keep smelling because of the complexity of the ale. Piney, hop-clean aroma. Forward hops on the tongue, maltiness, then a slightly bitter, full finish. Excellent balance. An enigma of a brew, so good. I find myself taking smaller and smaller sips because I know that at one point my glass will be empty.

Dynamo (6) - USA - SEP 30, 2003 does not count
This beer is huge. It is the Holy Grail of all beers, not just IPA's. I'd drink it constantly if A) I could find it; and B) I wouldn't mind stumbling around like a homeless man for the rest of my life.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 Big beer in all aspects. Lots of malt and hops. Cloudy and golden with little head. Looks imperialish. Has lots of american hop flavor going on - very piney, lemony, and citrusy. Alcohol hidden well but still evident. Aroma is very floralish. Taste certainly exceeds the aroma and is almost too much and I consider myself a hophead. Awesome beer none the less. Kinda expensive but still worth it. As good as it gets in terms of IIPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - SEP 29, 2003
Light amber coloured beer with no head. Floral, citrus and hop aroma. The taste is another attack of the taste buds. A strong floral-hoppy taste. I realize that I am not really used to these rich tasting American brews. But I like trying and it is good beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2003
#300, upon opening this bottle I was immediately smacked upside the head by an onslaught of hops, and a magnificent aroma of citrus and floral hops. this poured a fiery orange with a nice white head. Taste was hoppy, flavors of grapefruit, citrus, with abundant piney notes, and roasted caramel malt to balance it out, and a wonderful full mothfeel. Outstanding!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - SEP 21, 2003
This is the beer I've been waiting to try for a long time. Man o' man! Hops are abound in this beer; and it is balanced incredibly well. The finish is simply a work or art. This beer doesn't fuck around, it tells you just what it is. Believe the hype!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - SEP 20, 2003
Hey, do you like getting smacked in the face? How about by a beer? Ya, you do! Who's your Daddy? Dreadnaught! That's who! To start off, how anyone can finish a entire bomber of this stuff without being smashed in the face by the massive amount of hops in this beer is beyond human. Ahhh, but it was a pure pleasure to let this beer slap me around for an hour and a half as I nursed the hell out of it. Color is a chill hazed peachy toned orange with a spongy frothed bone white head thats about an inch high and settles moderately down to a hazey top with some bigger bubbles that never leave the edge and the lace lays across the glass in sheets that diminish into strings and spots. Aroma is absolutely wonderful, super fresh and floral, I'm talking right off the vine and right in your nostrils and down your throat fresh hop cones here. Big floral presense and a nice mix of pine needles and hop resin and acidic hoppyness with a smidge of grapefruit and a super fine toasty caramel malt backing. Alcohol warmth hits slowly as it warms. Tasting this is like liquidfied hops or something, super amounts of very floral and fresh resinated hops all up in your business. Complexing floral hops taking total control of your senses and making you recognize its presense as you prepare yourself sip after sip for the next wave. Super full of hops, almost too much, its crazy but absolutely wonderful to behold. The bitterness is quite calming actually, its just a whole lot of fresh; light pine and grapefruit rinds play along the surface with some juicy factions right away in the front, but the largely floral aspect then blooms over the palette and relinquishing it over and over as you surrender to its spellbinding hoppy hold leading through huge fields and tall vines of freshly picked hops eventually leading you back to a quick crispy little hop finish and backing up every sip is a remarkable toasty little caramel malt. Some notes of wood and earth strike the palette in some of the finish as well. Full mouthfeel throughout, each ambrosial sip and heavenly gulp is packed full of hoppy flavor and body. So much so its embarassingly hard to drink. This a big time sipper for me. Perhaps somewhere down the line in time this may become something I could get use to. This just wasn't that drinkable for me. Don't get me wrong, it was incredibly, delightfully, pleasurably, enjoyable to get pushed around by this whale of a beer.