overall

RATINGS: 2092   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 7, 2003
Pours a beautiful mahogany with nice head full of small bubbles and nice lacing. MMM, hops, hops and more hops in the nose. Malt and some citrus accompany that. Yummy. Creamy body with a nice balance of hops, small fruit, and malt. It finishes nice, dry and bitter. Woo! Great IIPA!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 6, 2003
This is a great IPA. Hoppy, malty, fruity, lots of flavor. Finish is bittersweet, smooth, clean, and dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
theakston (64) - arlington, Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2003
Nicely balanced, not overly bitter or herbal malty sweetness with a citrus tang. A little syrupy / thick mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Sweet, hoppy, and citric aroma. Copper colored with a creamy, medium sized head. Big malts, and big hops that blend nicely. Some lemony citrus notes come through. Lingering cascade like bitterness. Although this is a big beer, it is very drinkable and not over the top.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Wow! I finally had a chance to sample the vaunted Dreadnaught Imperial IPA, and I have to say it lives up to the ratings. Bottle (from a trade with Marinaro500 thanks dude!). Poured thick and deep amber, slightly hazy and cleared as it warmed up. Off white head lingered and left some lacing. The aroma is amazing, rich, heavy malts, pine and citrus hops and lots of 'em. Flavor is about as close to heaven as I can imagine. Really amazing combination of sweet, thick, roasted maltiness, honey, gluten, with a twist your tongue and pucker your lips hoppiness and a lingering finish that defies description. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy, smooth and round with the right amount of carbonation. This is my first Three Floyds and I love it. Stone Ruination (which is readily available to me) is close to this, but doesn't quite hit the same mark. I want more!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
flemdawg (541) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - OCT 4, 2003
BIG Oktoberfest: The program said only Alpha King and Gumballhead would be attending, but then these bombers came out, and my mouth almost hit the floor, a great suprise. Golden color with a small white head. Huge aroma of hops. The first sip clung to my mouth. Thicker than I expected. Very hoppy as anticipated. It was the only beer that I got seconds on all day. Simply great.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Bottle. Wow! What a complex and amazing IPA. First smell was grapefruit, but I detected some roasted malt on my next. I had to keep smelling because of the complexity of the ale. Piney, hop-clean aroma. Forward hops on the tongue, maltiness, then a slightly bitter, full finish. Excellent balance. An enigma of a brew, so good. I find myself taking smaller and smaller sips because I know that at one point my glass will be empty.

Dynamo (6) - USA - SEP 30, 2003 does not count
This beer is huge. It is the Holy Grail of all beers, not just IPA's. I'd drink it constantly if A) I could find it; and B) I wouldn't mind stumbling around like a homeless man for the rest of my life.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 Big beer in all aspects. Lots of malt and hops. Cloudy and golden with little head. Looks imperialish. Has lots of american hop flavor going on - very piney, lemony, and citrusy. Alcohol hidden well but still evident. Aroma is very floralish. Taste certainly exceeds the aroma and is almost too much and I consider myself a hophead. Awesome beer none the less. Kinda expensive but still worth it. As good as it gets in terms of IIPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - SEP 29, 2003
Light amber coloured beer with no head. Floral, citrus and hop aroma. The taste is another attack of the taste buds. A strong floral-hoppy taste. I realize that I am not really used to these rich tasting American brews. But I like trying and it is good beer.