overall

RATINGS: 2045   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheadís dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2003
Okay, how excited was I at having the opportunity to try this legendary beer? Man, what a damn good beer. I am so sucker punched by these beers that provide such good flavor within their category but also so much beyond it as well. This IPA is surely hopped adequately and bitter enough, but they take a back seat as the wonderful creamy/rummy/chewy flavor and mouthfeel present themselves. A bit fruity (I mean beyond the typical IPA citrus) and slightly nutty - like hazelnut or butternut. A big, complex IPA that really sets the bar a bit higher.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2003
22oz bottle. Strong nose of citrus, pine, some berry. Thick white head with very nice lacing. Sharp American hop taste from the begining to the lingering finish yet is balanced by some malts, somewhat sweet at times. A full bodied huge beer with the alcohol well hidden.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2003
Wow is this stuff thick!!!! Orangey amber with a fine just off white head, and did I mention it pours like a fresh bottle of motor oil! Fantastic piney and grapefruit citrus hop aromas; Fruity and you have to search pretty hard for malt aromas, but they are there since this is dominated by hops. Flavor is also dominated by hops but it does have a pretty substantial malt backbone to balance. It does also have the fruitiness from the aroma and finishes on the malty side but with hop flavor and a pleasant lingering bitterness. Very smooth creamy mouthfeel without much of the 9% ABV showing up; a very dangerous thing. This is a good one! This one might be good enought to think you could drink it in quantity, but you'd better think again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 6, 2003
I was thinking this was just overhyped, but I was wrong. Turned out great much like the DFH 90 IPA, and for the same reasons. Even a stout and barleywine lover as myself can appreciate the deep complexity of this beer, evolved mainly in the generous but not overbearing hop profile. Few other IPA's leave you with such a great aftertaste that does not sting of hops. Great beer, great IPA, wish I had another bottle!

edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
6/21/03: bottle.
an explosive wonder of hop bursting aroma. nice crisp orange body. flavors of hops, purfume and oranges. lacing = check. fresh hop flavaí.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUL 6, 2003
3F hopps with nice soft slightly vanilla. Spicy, surprisingly medium light body. Very drinkable, strong IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Traded a bottle of my homemade Blackberry Mead to Volgon (Thank You!)for a bottle of this, that I shared with ericnixon and my wife. The amber color was just this side of orange. Tiny effrevenscent bubbles rise slowly from the bottom of the glass. An unbelievable piney aroma that made me want to mop my kithen floor. I can imagine a 2 story tall Juiceman Juicer at the brewery: Hops go in the top, Dreadnaught comes out the bottom. I had to give less than perfect scores for Flavor, Palate and Overall Impression because IPA's in general are not my favorite beers, but I can't help but marvel at what had to go into making this one. Wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Frank (3046) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 5, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2005 I donít know if itís the vintage, the difference between tap and bottle or just the extreme youth of the sample I tried at the brewery but I liked this much better last time I tried it. As it is here, itís very green and aggresive lacking the subtlety of previous samples. Now thereís something to be said about a beer like that but I like my brew just a touch smoother. Iím still giving this very high marks by the way. I just no longer feel it is a 4.7.

Original rating (bottle): Easily lives up to the hype and then some. Pours a lovely amber golden. Aroma is fruity, hoppy, and mouthwatering. Notes of apple and sugar. Perfectly balanced sticky malt-sweetness and hops. Amazing.

celogan (201) - Oroville, California, USA - JUL 4, 2003
This has to be the most outstanding, greatest tasting, fully satisfying beer I have ever had in my entire life. It is my first Three Floyds (thanks to slikwily) but if this is any indication of other Three Floyds, I'm hooked for life. This exquisite elixer poured medium dark copper with a head that hung around the entire life of the brew. Nice lacing all the way through with great carbonation and nice flavor. I did notice some grapefuite-like flaovor along the way, but this was Soooooo Good you'd have to be a moron to pass it up. Absolutely Positively Get Some of this.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUL 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2003 Update: I am so damned happy this got distributed in fair Maryland. I love balanced beers--slightly hoppy Dortmunder, a dry Pils, an aromatic, fruity Weizen--this one is not balanced, but is absolutely wonderful. Not terribly bitter, it must be noted. Tends a bit toward barleywine as it warms. Old: I couldn't stop laughing when we opened and poured this hop monster: it was so far over the top. The flavor was astonishing. The alpha and omega of Super-IPA. Sticky, citric, lightly herbal and sweet. My favorite sippin' IPA. Many thanks, LiebeBier.