overall

RATINGS: 2070   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheadís dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3404) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Medium orange color, not a whole lot in the way of head. The aroma is concentrated hops, filled with grapefruit, peaches, spruce, and pineapple. The flavor revolves around pineapple, along with some grapefruit and pine sap. The malt, although not strong, is still enough to keep the hops from becoming overly brutal. Very nicely done, with surprising complexity of flavor. I think I prefer the Ruination overall, although this beer is probably a tad more of a subtle sledgehammer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 16, 2003
Pours a nice amber color, I smell pineapple, pine, sweet malt. One of the best smelling beers to me. Tastes very pineappley (is that a word?), fruity maybe tangerine and grapefruit. Finishes with a nice subdued bitterness and maltiness. This, my hophead friends, is simply a delicious beer, albeit dangerous because of the combination of wonderfulness and ABV. I compared this beer to Hop Devil tonight and one can see the difference between a good IPA and a great IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerGod (5433) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - AUG 16, 2003
Finally got my hands on this, thanks to Mike at Bon Vivant Market in Smithfield, VA. Pours a brownish amber with a small, quickly receding white head. The nose is a full hop bouquet with a splash of peach or nectarine. The taste expands on the hops character. This is VERY rich. More citrus fruit on the tongue with a huge floral aftertaste. Not as bitter as I expected. Finishes with a slight hop bitterness as well. Does this live up to the hype? I think so. Is it the be all end all of IPA's? I'd have to say no, BUT this is a highly recommended IPA and an even higher recommended beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - AUG 14, 2003
Medium amber orange clear with a medium lasting pale orange-beige head. Super perfumed fruity peach and floral hops aroma. Clean beautifully balanced stone fruit sweetness and hoppy dry flavours with hints of marizipan and rosewater. The citrus floral character becomes a tad overwhelming in the long finish and aftertaste. Otherwise outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CapFlu (4680) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 11, 2003
(Bottle) Gorgeous display - orange-amber body with a medium almonde head. Quick dissipation. Tangerine and hops nose. Very hoppy and orange peels. Tingly, lasting bite. Awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - AUG 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2009 Quite the impressive first impression. The aroma is quite ardent with citrus (surprise) Mainly grapefruit. The color is that of a fiery amber, with some clouds of head dissipating quickly. Honestly i was expecting more all hop action at first. But the lingering mouthfeel gratefully made up for a non-overpowering hop sensation. Which I think is where the greatness of this beer is. Itís not gonna numb your tongue with bitterness; It has it sink in to your taste buds slowly. One of the nicest things is that if this indeed is 9.5% ABV (Iím skeptical remember) then they did a good job of hiding it....Much like SJP with the dead prostitute in our back yard.......

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aubrey (3481) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - AUG 5, 2003
Lofty head floated like clouds. Milkshake-like mouthfeel danced in my mouth to a familiar -- but different -- drum. Huge, flowery bouquet of hop aromas greeted me like someone just died (that's a good thing in this analogy; think how many flower arrangements are at funerals). Dough-like malts were surprisingly substantial, providing a nice backbone for the orchestra of hops. Alcohol was gagged and duct taped well. Fruity notes and a nice bitterness lingered in my dreams as I drifted away.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fly (1420) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - AUG 5, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2005 So whatís the difference between an IPA and a barleywine? Paper or plastic? I once thought I knew these answers. Hellifiknownow. HellifIcare. Helluva beer. While I admit that on occasion I will seek aroma by administering it to myself via small amount placed in nasal spray, this one waltzes across the table with arm outstretched to introduce itself as a cousin of your old uncle Avery and the hog heaven where he lives. So, the hops let me understand the IPA nomenclature while the hefty malt introduces my ass to the old familiar couch. Does indeed have a dry finish, thereís sweetness with the hops enticing another taste after taste until the damn thing is gone and I have to ponder the label. Itís not normal. Either am I. Guess we can be friends. Many thanks to krisbierjaeger.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JUL 29, 2003
A clear amber color, perfect color for a yummy IPA, beautiful lacing and a nice head that can be adjusted to anyoneís taste. Aroma is large on hops, herbal and floral with a touch of malt filling in the back 40. Flavor is surprisingly balanced for so much hops. This is a huge IPA and stands up to the Imperial descriptive. It's like there's an International Hop Convention in my mouth and every brewer is invited. Finishes bone dry with a bitter tart feeling followed by the sweet hop sting, great. This is the pinnacle of IPAs, they can't get any better than this. Thanks Indra!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aracauna (3179) - Georgia, USA - JUL 28, 2003
Ok, I have to admit, all those people who have been trumpeting the praises of Three Floyds were right. This is an awesome beer. The aroma is very hoppy. It's what you'd get if you could crossbreed tangerines with a pine or a juniper plant. I'm also getting whiffs of balloon rubber, but that doesn't make any sense. The flavor is surprisingly well balanced. I was expecting some major hops bitterly unbalancing the beer, but the hops are nicely balanced by the thick almost chewy malt flavors. The perceived bitterness is surprisingly low with the actual flavors of the hops coming through. The malt is toasted buttered biscuits with a bit of caramel sauce and maybe a little maple syrup. The beer is sweet, but not cloying. The body is a dark amber topped by a nice too-dark-to-be-off-white head that isn't a permanent fixture, but not wimpy either. Damn this is good.