overall

RATINGS: 2038   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
chronictonic (473) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 20, 2002
A HUGE ipa. Everything about this beer is BIG - hop aroma with a generous amount of citrus grapefruit mixed in. Chewy, resiny mouthfeel. No subtleness. In a class by itself when it comes to IPAs or APAs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - NOV 16, 2002
A very fine beer! One of the finest? NO! Needs a bigger body to stay here. I would say more but my rating for this keeps on getting erased and I dont know why!?!?!?

avrv99 (17) - USA - NOV 10, 2002
I live about 4 minutes from the brewery, and have had the pleasure of trying many of Three Floyds great brews...fortunate also that a local club keeps this one on tap - the best out there.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 7, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 One of top five beer experiences: late on a Friday afternoon I just happened to be driving through Munster, IN and just happened to know exactly where Three Floyds was located (I had a map with a star on it) and there just happened to be several people sitting around a table inside the warehouse drinking beer who just happened to invite me in and give me a very large glass of Dreadnaught. I took my first sip and entered another world where huge grapefruits, hops, brown sugar, oranges and other berries dance in eternal bliss. I took another sip and decided I never wanted to leave this glorious place.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 31, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2003 UPDATE 8-27-03 (bottle) - This is just the hoppyist beer I've ever tasted. Incredible citric aroma of oranges and grapefruit. The aroma is the closest thing to opening a fresh bag of Centennial hops that I can imagine. Absolutely no hint of alcohol in the aroma or flavor profile. Caramel and bready malts don't come close to battling the monster hops. In short, sublime hop juice. ORIGINAL: Let me start by saying WOW! I'll say it again in case you missed it: WOW! Nice crystal clear amber to bronze color. Medium, bone-colored head left almost immediately after the vigorous pour. The piney, earthy and grassy hop aroma just leaps out of the glass reminding me of my first homebrew session when I opened a bag of Cascade hops and drew the wonderous aroma into my nose. First sip gives no hint of the enormous abv contained within. Instead, you are overcome with a resiny hop blast overpowering an obviously impressive caramel malt body. Earthy, grassy and piney flavors abound with no corresponding level of harsh bitterness in the finish. Hop nose gives slightly to a more spicy and alcoholic nose as the beer warms. In similar fashion, the abv rears up to show itself in the finish as the beer warms, although the malt and hops keep the beast under control. In short, this is an incredible beer to savor and ponder.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 30, 2002
14 oz specimen sample:6:30 am this morning my wife asks ’are you snorting that empty bottle?’ I have a problem. Light maplewood color, body is crystal clear. A thick and billowy amber-like head that makes a cameo appearance and exits quite fast. Ahhh the aroma. It permeated the kitchen like an approaching fog off the ocean. Plenty of pine and juniper with an oh-so-slight nose of alcohol. With the first sip the bitterness envelops your palate like a fine silk sheet. Make no mistake, this IS an enormously hoppy beer but not in the mannerism of say, a Hops Infusion. The bitterness builds like the perfect wave rather than a neanderthal-like clubbing. A flavor/palate profile full of pine, grassy/earthy textures and a nutty maltiness. 11 1/4% abv? With the first sip I pondered this question, with the last sip I found my answer. I am in awe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Indra (2629) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - OCT 24, 2002
Served on draft. Very creamy off-white head, nice cloudy medium-dark amber color. Aroma is sweet, floral, citrusy (orange?) and has just a hint of caramel. Quite sweet, almost candyish malt flavor, followed by an incredible amount of hops. Super hop!! the notes say, heh. Pineapple, citrus and other honeyed fruity flavors are HUGE. Malt and hop flavors seem to be present in almost equal quantities, and those quantities are very substantial. Finish and aftertaste are sweet and hoppy simultaneously. This tastes every bit an IPA, though. The malt flavors are nice but this doesn’t have a lot of malt complexity. One gigantic beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jaymobrown (1680) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2004 Had this draught and it was simply amazing. The alcohol is not even a factor, which maybe a bad factor as the last thing I remember is having this beer, then I woke up in the back of a Jeep! As with all of FFF the hops are there, and in a big way. Fruit and light with grapefruit, sugar, citrus flavors. I can't rave enough about this brewer and about this beer. Re-rate: This isn't so much a re-rate as an addition. Had this cask-conditioned which considerably softened the palate as well as presented some more grapefruit flavors. Overall, the same flavors are present, but the soft palate I felt mellowed out the beer much more and created a much more beautiful balance.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - OCT 21, 2002
UPDATED: APR 28, 2004 Rerate: Just an incredible beer. Had on tap at 3F and also purchased 6 bottles. Wow. Went to Rich O's for this in New Albany, Indiana. Excellent stuff. As everyone else says, big citrusy (grapefruit) taste with pine and a bit of caramel. Very good but wish I could find it in a bottle to take home.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - OCT 20, 2002
On tap at the Map Room in Chicago, 10/19/02; where do I start with this, except to mention that it was $3.50 for 12 oz, one of the best deals I’ve ever had. Dark amber color, slight translucence, little quick-dying head. Aroma a powerhouse of apricots, peaches, caramel, smoke, and vanilla, I could smell it all night. When it hits the tongue, the first thing you notice is the super-creaminess and maltiness. This, an IPA? But wait...fruitiness comes in quickly; its an apricot-chocolate-vanilla-caramel cream soda with 11% alcohol! Can’t remember a beer with more flavor and a more intense marriage of sweet maltiness at the front and huge hoppiness on the end; for it does become bitter, piney and wild as it goes down, and you are convinced that you have had everything a beer can offer. Fully deserving of its top 10 status, I just hope I can have some again when I go back to Chicago in December; it might merit a perfect score.