Three Floyds Fruity Klaus

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.86/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus with cherries and strawberries

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
NachlamSie (2724) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 16, 2010
Snifter at the brewery as "fruity klaws". Description reads as barrel aged Alpha Klaws with cherry and strawberry. The beer is quite dark with a ring of a head. Barrel aroma of bourbon soaked cherries, chocolate, vanilla and cookies. The palate has low carbonation and is slick. Flavor is good for a dessert beer, but too sweet to have more than a 10 oz serving. Solid, but not overwhelming bourbon, distinct berry and cherry flavor, rum, chocolate are all here. I like it aight.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
satan165 (1019) - River Grove, Illinois, USA - JAN 16, 2010
opaque pour with film head. nose is mostly roast, little java. possibly a very subtle reference to the fruit. flavor is bitter chocolate roast foremost that ends with a fruity tang of pronounced strawberry. pectin lingers on the lips like candy. strawberry sweetness lingers in the background with a soda pop like fizziness/sweetness. the wood character is almost an afterthought, so tasteful and classy and a departure from the ’boubon-on-the-rocks’ found so often elsewhere (at times everywhere).

railcat1 (685) - Hammond, Indiana, USA - JAN 16, 2010
I love Alpha Klaus so i was curious to see what this tasted like.It poured dark brown to black with a nice tan head,hints of cheery ,chocolate and hops it was sweeter than the original due to the cheery but overall not a bad beer.CHEERS!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigBang (299) - Indiana, USA - JAN 15, 2010
This was interesting. On tap at brew pub. Seemed more like a barley wine than something resembling Alpha Klaus. Pours deep amber with a nice head. I’m curious as to the ABV - it was very smooth but definitely had some punch. Flavor was somewhat sweet - not distinctly fruity - had trouble isolating the flavors. Could definitely enjoy more of the brew but did not have time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
3Faveryrogue (181) - Aslip, Illinois, USA - JAN 13, 2010
Tap @ brewpub 1/13/10. Okay. I was eager to rate this but I wasn’t really sure where to place this beer. And I probably should’ve asked more questions while I was there. Cherry Behemoth receives its own listing. But in contrast, I’ve had Oak Aged Klaus, and noticed some ratings as "aged on blackberries". I highly doubt, though I’m not sure, that this beer is an ’04 batch. Nor did it come off bourbony, as original Surly Klaus would suggest. It was NOT listed on my table menu with a description. But on the chalkboard it was billed as "Surly Klaus Cherry & Strawberry". So I figured it was worthy of a new spot. Oak or bourbon aging, I’m not sure. Hopefully someone can lend some insight before its gone, and the listing doesn’t get deleted. Again. The whole oak-aged, barrel-aged, fruit THIS & berry THAT thing really gets me. Oak aged Dark Lord is listed as Woodford Reserve Barrels. Oak aged Klaus tasted bourbony. But Blackheart and Oak Behemoth soley on OAK? Confusing to say the least. On to the review... A - Roast malt, coffee, fruitiness. A - Black. Tan head into snifter. F - Cherry pit. Sweet and slightly tart berry notes. Still quite a bit of the base present. Cofee, chocolate and hops. All mingles nicely. P - Wish I had the time and money to down another one of these in a session. Drinkable, yet still to be savored. Bitterness still prominent, which had made me doubt it was ’04/05. Not sure. Mild bodied. O - $9. Everything came together pretty nicely. Fruit was not overwhelming. No offensive turn-offs. Very lucky to have caught this on draft. Missed Stay in School, though. Bummer. I would do this again, in the HIGHLY unlikely event it was ON again.