overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1555   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
An American Wheat Beer brewed with red wheat and boat loads of amarillo hops gives this summer brew a lemony finish. The slight haze in the bottle is from the bottle-conditioning, where yeast is added to the bottle for a secondary fermentation. Gumballhead is a Skingraft Comics hero. Check out Skingraft Comics and Records at www.skingraftrecords.com. Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 29, 2005
22oz bottle. 46į. NB worthy glass. Hazy gold color with a small head. The aroma is killer. Hops are perfumy with a predominate citrus smell. Taste is a typical wheat beer with a great hops flavor and a very small hops bite, that gives it a nice citrus finish. Finish is citrus with a tiny amount of hops bitterness that almost elicits a pucker. This would be about the perfect summer beer, light, but with a nice flavor. The mouthfeel is light and crisp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 24, 2005
Golden copper color, clear, with medium head and lacing. Very hoppy aroma, pine, mild skunk, citrus. Wheat is fairly low in the mix, hop bite and spicyness take over, what I imagine an imperial pilsener might be. Sweet yet finishes dry. A refreshing, if very unique, beer that I presume lives for summertime.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JAN 22, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2011 #300 Pours crystal clear golden yellow, nice rocky head, decent lacing. Grapefruit/citrus zest up front. Hints of bubblegum. Flavor again hop forward, nice citrus, juicy orange and grapefruit zest. Lightest malt sweetness in the backend. Lingering hop profile. Cleanest bottle Iíve had, no yeast esters to speak of. Well attenuated. Medium carbonation. Well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2005 Good, refreshing wheat, with strong grassy notes, surprisingly strong hoppiness, and citrusy finish. Good stuff on a hot summer afternoon. Rerate: 4/7/05 3Floyds Brewery: This great wheat has been clarified and hopped up...much to my enjoyment!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JAN 20, 2005
22oz bottle: Slightly hazy golden yellow with orange hues and a medium white frothy head. The aroma from this beer really makes you want to just dive in and drink. Flowery hops, lemon, citrus, tangerine, with a sweetness all the way through. Not the usual wheat beer aroma. When I taste is, the initial flavor is all hops - a combination of lemon, grapefruit, tangerine - but not in excess. Towards the middle thereís notes of sweet cotton candy, wheat, lemon, grapefruit, mild banana, clove, and grass. Finishes dry with some wheat & grain notes, and a lasting bitter lemon/spice hops taste on the tongue. Best american wheat Iíve tried to date.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadey (1903) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 4, 2005
Golden yellow color. Hazy after the pour but quickly clearing. No head. Attractive citrus aroma, smooth refreshing palate. Mild citrus flavor. This didnít have that off-putting wheat character that I canít stand. This was delicious and very easy drinking. Easily my favorite wheat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shrubber85 (7644) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Bottle. Strong flowery hops aroma with hint of lemon. Deep yellow color with small collapsing head. Initial flavor of hops followed by a strong lemon/citrus flavor that smacks you in the face. A very unique wheat beer - very different from most.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
Sammy (8678) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 18, 2004
A top 10% beer for me. An easy drink with lower than average alcohol. Just a great taste and wonderful grapefuit aroma. The wheat, some nice complementary spice and beautifully hopped.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3691) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 16, 2004
I donít know that I was all that thrilled by this, which is not to say that I wasnít impressed by it, only that it hit me in odd ways. First, for appearance there isnít anything too shocking going on--just a bit of simple white yeast floaties and a basically yellow body, not much head. O.k., move on. Appearance rarely makes or breaks a beer. As I sat with Lumpy at my kitchen table, we both reacted at how clearly the hops leap out of this, strongly citrus, mostly grapefruit, and I had a sense of some anise later on. The flavor had lots of citrus, too, of course, prompting comparisons with IPAs and APAs, but I found some bubblegum notes that tickled my fancy whenever I thought my tongue had latched onto it. I couldnít hang on--it is difficult to hang onto anything with ones tongue, I guess. Very dry, with a hint of pepper and tea leaves, and the hops are notable--I certainly canít pick out amarillo hops from a blind taste test but I am inclined to attribute much to their influence, especially some grassy strains. I was most disappointed by the palate; for me it was too limp, though it had some moderate body. I thought it really needed a carbonated life (not exactly fizz but at least something zingy). Otherwise it was fine, but it just wasnít my cup of tea, I mean, glass of beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Very boring in appearance - like a typical ballpark brew but slightly cloudier. Aroma is of hops and citrus. Grapefruit, syrup, and hop bitterness abound in the flavor of this beer. Absolutely delicious and very drinkable by the low ABV. After a few tastings I think I see the niche this beer fills.