Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1647   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
An American Wheat Beer brewed with red wheat and boat loads of amarillo hops gives this summer brew a lemony finish. The slight haze in the bottle is from the bottle-conditioning, where yeast is added to the bottle for a secondary fermentation. Gumballhead is a Skingraft Comics hero. Check out Skingraft Comics and Records at www.skingraftrecords.com. Cheers!

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Lathers up with nice head. Body is clear and golden. The bubbles continue to rise throughout the tasting. Maybe the name is influencing my senses, but I can smell why this has "gumball" in the name. At the end, there is a refreshing lemony custard finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MullMan (1099) - New York, USA - AUG 11, 2005
golden yellow clear color, moderate fizz in the body. fluffy and rocky white head. smells like a IIPA, hops and grapefruit peel. tastes like a 1 1/2 IPA, a little pine flavor, and some grapefruit juice, a little flowery too. lively carbonation. medium to light mouthfeel. fairly bitter aftertaste. I canít taste the wheat because this is more like an IPA. Iím missing the sweetness that a wheat beer normally has. I get a little frustrated when American brewers take a style and sandbag it by going gonzo on the hops. gotta take some overall points off for doing that. regardless of style its a good brew. thanks, Secret Santa!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tjthresh (1867) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - AUG 10, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2009 Enjoyed on tap at the brewery. Outstanding amarillo aroma. Straw yellow served with no head. It was hard to get a good look at it becasue 3F serves their beer in a plastic cup. I love the flavor of amarillo hops. Very bitter for the style. I thought it was kind of harsh to drink. Overall, I wouldn’t expect any less that this from these guys.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 9, 2005
Pours gold with a nice white head. Smells of lemons, yogure and grapefruit. Tastes of oranges, and has a bit of an IPA feel to it. Great mouthfeel. Perfect summer beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 8, 2005
Cloudy orange with a dissipating head and little lacing. Citrus and bread in the nose. Big grapefruit, floral, pine flavors with fruit and malt to balance. Very drinkable. Just right on a summer day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 3, 2005
22 oz bomber. Mike Schreffler brought this one to me from Indiana and I couldnít wait for a nice hot day to sit on the new porch and sample this one. I was sorely disappointed as this is an incredibly overrated beer. Pours a slightly hazy light yellow with a big head that abandons with great haste, leaving odd spotted lace. I guess the look of the lace should have scared me. The nose is alarming... more hoppy than expected with very little spice or sweetness. More of a raw hop aroma than I anticipated. A little smell of lemon here too. Flavor has a biting bitterness immediately evident followed by a musty gritty dirty flavor - this is not a nice taste at all. It coats the tongue with a numbing bitter pasty taste and feel. Not impressive. The great lack of body and carbonation seals the deal on a crappy brew. They havenít even used a good wheat yeast. I would consider this to be more like a pilsner. I donít really like this one, if you havenít figured that out. I think that too many people fell in love with Three Floyds and thought that they had to rate this beer well. I donít, and I wonít. This is a pretty poor effort..... or I got a bad bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - AUG 1, 2005
From the bomber. Pours a crystal clear orangey copper with a frothy snow white head. Quite lacy. Smells of citrusy hops and lightly of sweet wheat malt. Taste is basic but does it well. Delivers crisp what malt followed by huge amount of hops (amarillo according to the bottle) and some lemony flavor throughout. Three great tastes that taste great together. Crisp and bright mouthfeel. Tasty. I can see why this has such a following, especially for a summer beer. With the name, I thought this beer had captured the bubblegum flavor of a true hefe and thatís what they were pushing. Boy, was I wrong but still a great beer. Itís almost as if they thought to themselves, "Hey, itís hard for us American brewers to make a true German style wheat so letís not try. Letís do something original." And it is a true original.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 25, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2007 Bottle sampled with Beerded-one. Poured a hazy light amber with a small well retained off white head, smells of wheat, citrus, pine, and spice, the taste was hoppy, citrusy, a little sweetness, & bitterness. Excellent brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tubbfan (147) - Joliet, Illinois, USA - JUL 23, 2005
I believe this beer is mislabled. It should be classified as an IPA. The label claims it is brewed with "boat loads of Amarillo hops." Yes, I concur. It is a very hoppy beer both in aroma and flavor. If anyone is expecting this to be a dry wheat beer, they will be disappointed as I was. Right out of the bottle, this one pours great - clear amber, lots of white head and decent lacing. However, the aromatic hops take over from there. There is a piney taste initially. I could hardly taste any citrus, except when the flavor of bitter hops began to subside. Even then, it was only a fleeting taste. This has a slightly oily taste, but medium body. Overall, its not a bad beer in any way, except I felt misled by the label. Caveat emptor, I guess.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
biermensch (64) - USA - JUL 23, 2005
Determined to find a way to drink wheat beer this summer - found that I enjoyed Widmerís American Wheat, and got a case of Gumballhead when it became available temporarily. Looks like a Floyds and smells like a Floyds, they know their hops! Big, lemony amarillo hops aroma. Not quite copper, more bronze in appearance. Light to medium bodied. Pleasantly hopped but not at all bitter. Very refreshing, no need to add fruit. A great beer for summer.