overall

RATINGS: 1512   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A bold Scottish ale with a complex malty body derived from roasted and crystal malts balanced with just the right combination of hops. This ale pours a deep ruby color, has a sweet malty nose with layered caramel and roasted notes and a full body. Robust yet smooth, Robert The Bruce is a malt lover’s delight.
2011 vintage - 7.0% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - AUG 25, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2004 Re-rate.Got the Munster brewed stuff.Smells lightly of creamy roasted chocolate/maple scotch.Deep ruby red in good light(micro-particals) w/a phat off toned frothy bubblehead(very nice) some ok spoty lace.Great hop usage in this one(crisp little bite that tingles & numbs at times.Dry finish.Surprisingly not over the top, very well made and fresh in Muster!Unique for a scottish ale.Different than mcewan's ect.More refined than the New ulm,MN stuff(plain caps)A bit too light on the carbonation,I forgot to mention these bottles are as filled as they can get(less than 1/4 inch from the cap)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2003
This was a very good Scottish Ale and one of the best that I have had. It poured a clear brown with an off-white head. The flavor was mellow and malty, yet some hop character came through. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Resiny, piney aroma with hints of toasted cocoa. Radiant ruby red colour. Medium bodied. Piney U.S. hop flavour with some nutty/chocolate malt flavours underneath the predominant hop flavour. Definitely and American take on the Scottish Ale.

Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - AUG 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2003 You all are probably going to think I'm nuts. But I really liked Robert the Bruce better than I did the Alpha King!!! This is my first perfect score. Smooth as glass and lots of flavor. No bitter presense anywhere to be found. No head out of bottle but it was perfect for my palate. I had this after sampling the Alpha King so I will try each individually and see if my initial impression varies from the follow-ups.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Here's the backstory: We were on our way home from our first family vacation on North Carolina's Outer Banks. Through some freakish twist of fate, the hotel we'd booked for the night had rejected my checkcard despite plentiful funds, and visits to 5 local ATM's had only managed to net $20. So here I was, only $20 in hand, a half a tank of gas and a wife (Togbean) and 2 kids that needed a room for the night, dinner, and transportation from Maryland to Massachusetts the following day and with all this in mind, I bought a 6-pack of this beer. Priorities, people. Priorities. Hey, we can have family wire us some emergency cash in a few hours, but it's gonna be awhile before I see this beer in Massachusetts. But I showed restraint. There was a 6-pack of the Alpha King right next to this, and I passed. Now on to the rating! This beer had a velvety light tan head. Mmmmmmm. Yummy yummy malty. Color like a good maple syrup. This beer politely askes permission to enter your mouth and is a perfect guest while visiting. The malts were deeply satisfying, and the hops were well balanced. The aroma, sadly, smells slightly sour. This was an important beer for me, as it helped me to really recognize a good malt flavor.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TogBean (47) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 4, 2003
On my afore mention trip to the Outer Banks, my husband 2 kids and I were on our way home, stoppe at the hotel in Maryland and they declined our card, couldn't even make a call to the bank to figure this one out on a Sat afternoon. After much scambling and a call to my moms, we were in our room calming the kids down. The husband headed out to the Super Wal-Mart passed on the way into town to write a check for some food and get some cash. On the way back he stopped to fill the gas tank and discovered that it was also a liquer store. Normally I would be piised that he spent, possibly, our only funds on BEER, but I've never been happier to see him walk in the door with a six pack. At the time, this was the best beer in the world and because it was in the right place at the right time it will always have place in my heart. It's a fine scottish ale. A step a bove the rest but not necissarily somethoing to write home to mamma about. I would drink it again any day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
ericnixon (740) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 4, 2003
It had a nice malty aroma (as promised). The appearance reminded me more of a glass of Coca-Cola than anything. Good malty flavor with some hops thrown in, but i found it to be a little on the watery side. other than the palate, it was very good. Thanks to Btownbrewer for getting me some of this on a recent foray out of the deep dark woods of Massachusetts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2003
Deep red, offwhite head. Very malty indeed. Some peat, slight sweetness. Typical Scottish hop profile, i.e. not much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
WisconsinBeer (706) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUL 17, 2003
Light ruby color. Full bodied with abudant maltiness. Earthy, smokey notes. Sweetness becomes apparent as it warms. Anyone that likes whiskey or scotch would enjoy this. Alcohol is hidden very well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrnkMcDermott (2810) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUL 13, 2003
Draft, at the brewery. Of all the regular 3 Floyds beers, this is the one that's not insanely hopped. Rather, you have a nice roasty malt flavor, just a trace of smokiness. A big, <font size=+1>big </font> malt taste, but one that doesn't leave any aftertaste. In other words, smooth as pudding.