overall

RATINGS: 1512   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A bold Scottish ale with a complex malty body derived from roasted and crystal malts balanced with just the right combination of hops. This ale pours a deep ruby color, has a sweet malty nose with layered caramel and roasted notes and a full body. Robust yet smooth, Robert The Bruce is a malt lover’s delight.
2011 vintage - 7.0% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAY 5, 2003
Draft - My first taste of this Brewer's beer and I really enjoyed it. Very full-bodied and malty. Finish is long and dry. I can't wait to try the rest of their beers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAY 1, 2003
reminescent of our childhood favorite beer... beer chang. primary taste is a smooth and delicious aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nate (3740) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 29, 2003
Fruity aroma, tea. Malty with a little hops. Brown sugar sweet and a bit of tang. Light off-white foamy lacing head over red-brown clear liquid. Medium thick body with medium-heavy carbonation. Malty and light sweetness. Light hops taste - a nice balance. Smooth sweet nutty finish and after. Dry bitterness too. Alcohol and a bit of grapefruit. Nice scottish ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - APR 22, 2003
Clear amber color with very little head. Sticky, salty, touch of smoke, touch of wood, slight floral aroma. Sweet with a bit of a bitter/smokey finish. A little over carbed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3693) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 8, 2003
A very subtle Scottish ale, with a good clinging head over a red-amber body. Caramel and raisin, almost suggestive of a low-key barleywine. Musty and fruity, suggesting dried fruits. Good, but not remarkable. (on tap, Clark Street Ale House, Chicago, IL)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4479) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - APR 1, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2010 Original Rating, April 1, 2003: I can smell the malt. I was surprised at how light it is, very brown or amberish. "Big malty body" does not do it justice. I like it much better than the nutty flavor of Bellhaven and other scottish ales I’ve had. Very nice.

Re-rating, January 25, 2010, Burn’s Night: Dark reddish-brown color with a small, collapsing head. Strong aroma of caramel, toast and biscuit. The caramel and biscuit scream out in the taste. Light roasted barley. Quite earthy. I really wish I could get my hands on this more often.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerMonkey (11) - Lansing, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2003
Smooth drinker. It's a good alternative if you're not a hophead. Smooth palate, moderate sweetness, and no unpleasant aftertaste, this beer was my first love at Floyds before Black Sun.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - MAR 25, 2003
I really enjoyed this beer. I dont really know why. The color was excellent, the aroma was more than pleasing, and the taste simply blew me away. Others may not agree, but this was one of the best beers I have had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 25, 2003
Another awesome brew from 3 floyds....I gotta try more of their stuff!! This was my first Scottish Ale so I have nothing to compare to... but let me tell you....SIMPLY DELICIOUS!! Light brown in color, and a great balance of malt and hopps. A hint of roastyness. I love this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Golden amber color with a smallish, foamy white head that leaves nice tracing on the top of the beer after it dissipates. Aroma is primarily malty, with some fruit/floral notes, and caramel. Flavor is malty, with caramel and toffee evident, orange peel, a bit of sweetness, and just a hint of hoppyness at the finish as it rolls down the back of the tounge. Palate is a little thinner than I would like. A nice aroma, but a flavor/palate that doesn't quite keep up with the aroma. A nice scottish ale, with plenty of malt, but it's lacking something that's keeping it from being really great (though I'm not exactly sure what that is).