overall

RATINGS: 1547   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A bold Scottish ale with a complex malty body derived from roasted and crystal malts balanced with just the right combination of hops. This ale pours a deep ruby color, has a sweet malty nose with layered caramel and roasted notes and a full body. Robust yet smooth, Robert The Bruce is a malt loverís delight.
2011 vintage - 7.0% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 23, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2005 Okay, this stuff is just plain great. Great dark purple orange colour to it. It kinda looks like thick paint all swirled together on a palate where at points you see darker or redder and othes wher it isnt quite so clear what colour it is. The nose is sweet with a noticable amount of hops but still sort of sublte. In the taste there is definately malts and hops and feel of constant quilibrium. Medium sized head that fades but leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. Medium body. Overall, I was very impressed.

6-11-2005 Had this Cask Conditioned at the Blind Pig in Champaign Illinois. WOW it was very very good, much more mellow and slick than I expected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
guzzler67 (1571) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Beautiful reddish brown appearance with a malty sweet aroma. Nicely balanced hoppiness with the toasted malt taste. Flavorful nut-like finish.

steview (1036) - Petaluma, California, USA - SEP 9, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Sweet, full, smooth, and delicious. That was my old rating and memories of drinking it from the Ulm bottles a way back when... (when I would drink rum with it, anyway) ... Anyway, I had one fresh from a tap at the brewery in Munster and it was a lot darker and maltier. It had more of a caramel/cocoa flavor and looked a lot darker as well. It definitely is better there. Also, I brought bottles from the brewery and it was actually different. Thatís odd. The bottled beers seemed to be lacking the full punch in the mouth. Hmm. UPDATE: shared a couple pitchers with friends at the canopy club for the MMW show on november 13. excellent. a lot easier to go down. something was in the air, perhaps, but i never tasted robert the bruce as smooth and unoffensive as that. UPDATE: bottle... a little bit watery, but still excellent. mellow, grapefruit/floral punch that rides a creamy coffee/coco sweetness. itís actually balanced nicely, despite a lack of something... finishes chalky? well, itís a warmer. big, smooth, though i just want more. hmm. so, iíll keep drinking. UPDATE 2/10/05: english pint / awesome, as usual. very smooth, very pretty (could be a little bit more active), very good flavor and aroma of caramel, toffee, and a little bit of hops. as exquisite as an afternoon tea yet the high alcohol still kicks me! uprated palate to cause an excellent score!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - SEP 8, 2003
I've been wanting to sample this one for some time. Pours a dark ruby copper. The dense tall off white head is mostly lasting with average lacing. The nose is snickerdoodle cookies in a citrus grove, with spices one might find in a pumkin pie. While evaluating the flavor it occurs to me that I don't have a fresh sample. The balance is nice but it is kind of thin over all for the stlye. Floral front is followed by a buttery middle and a peppery bitter finish. The medium dry body is soft and finishes clean. A good representation of the style, I'd like to re-rate a fresh sample.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
sloth (2648) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Minimal tan head that fades quickly.Clear, dark amber brew. Med/full body. All malt here! some roastiness. Malty sweet finish. Alc. is well hidden.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - AUG 25, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2004 Re-rate.Got the Munster brewed stuff.Smells lightly of creamy roasted chocolate/maple scotch.Deep ruby red in good light(micro-particals) w/a phat off toned frothy bubblehead(very nice) some ok spoty lace.Great hop usage in this one(crisp little bite that tingles & numbs at times.Dry finish.Surprisingly not over the top, very well made and fresh in Muster!Unique for a scottish ale.Different than mcewan's ect.More refined than the New ulm,MN stuff(plain caps)A bit too light on the carbonation,I forgot to mention these bottles are as filled as they can get(less than 1/4 inch from the cap)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2003
This was a very good Scottish Ale and one of the best that I have had. It poured a clear brown with an off-white head. The flavor was mellow and malty, yet some hop character came through. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Resiny, piney aroma with hints of toasted cocoa. Radiant ruby red colour. Medium bodied. Piney U.S. hop flavour with some nutty/chocolate malt flavours underneath the predominant hop flavour. Definitely and American take on the Scottish Ale.

Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - AUG 11, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2003 You all are probably going to think I'm nuts. But I really liked Robert the Bruce better than I did the Alpha King!!! This is my first perfect score. Smooth as glass and lots of flavor. No bitter presense anywhere to be found. No head out of bottle but it was perfect for my palate. I had this after sampling the Alpha King so I will try each individually and see if my initial impression varies from the follow-ups.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Here's the backstory: We were on our way home from our first family vacation on North Carolina's Outer Banks. Through some freakish twist of fate, the hotel we'd booked for the night had rejected my checkcard despite plentiful funds, and visits to 5 local ATM's had only managed to net $20. So here I was, only $20 in hand, a half a tank of gas and a wife (Togbean) and 2 kids that needed a room for the night, dinner, and transportation from Maryland to Massachusetts the following day and with all this in mind, I bought a 6-pack of this beer. Priorities, people. Priorities. Hey, we can have family wire us some emergency cash in a few hours, but it's gonna be awhile before I see this beer in Massachusetts. But I showed restraint. There was a 6-pack of the Alpha King right next to this, and I passed. Now on to the rating! This beer had a velvety light tan head. Mmmmmmm. Yummy yummy malty. Color like a good maple syrup. This beer politely askes permission to enter your mouth and is a perfect guest while visiting. The malts were deeply satisfying, and the hops were well balanced. The aroma, sadly, smells slightly sour. This was an important beer for me, as it helped me to really recognize a good malt flavor.