overall

RATINGS: 1558   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A bold Scottish ale with a complex malty body derived from roasted and crystal malts balanced with just the right combination of hops. This ale pours a deep ruby color, has a sweet malty nose with layered caramel and roasted notes and a full body. Robust yet smooth, Robert The Bruce is a malt loverís delight.
2011 vintage - 7.0% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (4011) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 8, 2003
A very subtle Scottish ale, with a good clinging head over a red-amber body. Caramel and raisin, almost suggestive of a low-key barleywine. Musty and fruity, suggesting dried fruits. Good, but not remarkable. (on tap, Clark Street Ale House, Chicago, IL)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4809) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - APR 1, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2010 Original Rating, April 1, 2003: I can smell the malt. I was surprised at how light it is, very brown or amberish. "Big malty body" does not do it justice. I like it much better than the nutty flavor of Bellhaven and other scottish ales Iíve had. Very nice.

Re-rating, January 25, 2010, Burnís Night: Dark reddish-brown color with a small, collapsing head. Strong aroma of caramel, toast and biscuit. The caramel and biscuit scream out in the taste. Light roasted barley. Quite earthy. I really wish I could get my hands on this more often.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerMonkey (11) - Lansing, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2003
Smooth drinker. It's a good alternative if you're not a hophead. Smooth palate, moderate sweetness, and no unpleasant aftertaste, this beer was my first love at Floyds before Black Sun.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
flemdawg (558) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - MAR 25, 2003
I really enjoyed this beer. I dont really know why. The color was excellent, the aroma was more than pleasing, and the taste simply blew me away. Others may not agree, but this was one of the best beers I have had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 25, 2003
Another awesome brew from 3 floyds....I gotta try more of their stuff!! This was my first Scottish Ale so I have nothing to compare to... but let me tell you....SIMPLY DELICIOUS!! Light brown in color, and a great balance of malt and hopps. A hint of roastyness. I love this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Golden amber color with a smallish, foamy white head that leaves nice tracing on the top of the beer after it dissipates. Aroma is primarily malty, with some fruit/floral notes, and caramel. Flavor is malty, with caramel and toffee evident, orange peel, a bit of sweetness, and just a hint of hoppyness at the finish as it rolls down the back of the tounge. Palate is a little thinner than I would like. A nice aroma, but a flavor/palate that doesn't quite keep up with the aroma. A nice scottish ale, with plenty of malt, but it's lacking something that's keeping it from being really great (though I'm not exactly sure what that is).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 12, 2003
3/12/03: bottle. small amount of head which is quickly replaced by a thin carbonated ring. medium brown coloration (lighter than expected.) roasted chocolate nose- a bit burnt smelling. malty, with some roasted tones. i did not notice any chocolate. flat palate aftertaste which was not to exciting. i noticed only a very slight taste of metallic in the aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 28, 2003
Clear deep amber body topped by a rather thin off white head that leave pretty good lace behind. Not as dark as I expected. Rather faint aroma that is somewhat sweet and malty with very faint alcohol notes. Slightly sweet and malty flavor with a very slight roastiness and some hoppy notes. The finish is malty. Medium to full bodied, slightly dry and warming.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 26, 2003
Well I was expecting a heavy ale taste but was surprised when it was going down. I taste the roasted malt but don't detect the chocolate. The only thing I can downplay on this beer was the nasty metallic smell. Otherwise a very good everyday treat.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
thedm (5497) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 23, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 Hotstuff and I went on a tour of their brewery. For $5 you get a 12oz glass of 3 of their beers. I thought this beer had a wonderful aroma full of hoppy smells. The head disappears very fast but was mixed with large and small bubbles. It had a heavy taste with just a little after bite. The color was very dark brown and you could not see through it. The beer was the best of their beers that we sampled. Hotstuff gave it a 4.5 rating.