overall

RATINGS: 1527   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
A bold Scottish ale with a complex malty body derived from roasted and crystal malts balanced with just the right combination of hops. This ale pours a deep ruby color, has a sweet malty nose with layered caramel and roasted notes and a full body. Robust yet smooth, Robert The Bruce is a malt loverís delight.
2011 vintage - 7.0% abv

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3179) - Georgia, USA - APR 25, 2002
With the scottish ale type I was expecting less hops. Hop flavor overwhelms what would be a nice Scottish ale however. It did get better the closer to the bottom I got however. Color was a bit average for a brown too.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JMerritt (1863) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2002
Just ok. Not much else to say about it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
duece (103) - Waterford, Wisconsin, USA - APR 20, 2002
Aroma was citrusy but too much alcohol for me. Poured a little cloudy and had a very thin head. The flavor was much too sweet and malty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - MAR 31, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 I'm used to drinking McEwans Scotch Ale and was interested to see how this compares. It didn't. Nowhere near the maltiness and sweetness I was expecting. Beer hides 7.2% alcohol content extremely well. A very good beer, but not my favorite Scottish style ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3311) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAR 31, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2004 not my cup of tea-to malty for my liking, but appropriate for the style. I will stick to the alpha king and hopefully. Even the new munster brewed bottles dont really do it for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Raytailgater (105) - Rockledge, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Damn good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1906) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2004 I gave the Bruce another try and found that the balanced flavor is quite enjoyable. Unfortunately for the Bruce, it resides between Three Floyds Pride & Joy, and Bell's Two Hearted Ale at my favorite spot, so I often neglect this fine Scottish Style Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2002
have had various results with this one. a couple bottles provided a nasty burnt funk on my toungue that I had also tasted in other scottish ales (just not so pronounced) Most of my run ins with this beer have been much happier; a nice balance, nice roasted malt flavor. will have it again. One other thing though - this does not relate to most other scottish ales that iíve tasted - would you really consider this scottish ale? Maybe itís just 3Floyds twisted take on the genre. (as hinted at in Robert the Bruceís portrait)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
crazydiamond (48) - Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2002
I buy this beer on occasion because itís a bit different than what Iíve come to expect from Scottish Style Ales. A little hoppier than it should be, and less malty than it should be. Maybe not a true representative of the class, but so what, itís a nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2002
Clear deep ruby. Nice caramelly/malty nose. This is a big beer. Its like a dopplebock...honestly reminds me of optimator with more hops. Anyone else get this? Huge complex malty profile, caramel and toffee notes throughout, awesome hoppiness to balance it out, thick mouthfeel but its not thick?? Awesome beer boys! The malts are a treat, go out, try it and enjoy.