overall

RATINGS: 329   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels with vanilla beans.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
thetomG (246) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2010
Had this one on tap @ DLD. Oily black with a small dark drown head. The aroma of vanilla really came through for me with a flavor to match. This beer is just absolutely HUGE. Vanilla vanilla vanilla, with some boozy sweetness throughout. I loved it, and Iím very glad I got to try it, but it was so sweet Iím not sure how much I could really drink in one sitting. That being said - it was great and I would definitely drink more if the opportunity ever arises again...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6584) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - APR 29, 2010
On tap in the Three Floydís pub on Dark Lord Day. Fortuitously ended up in the pub as some of the first in, and managed to grab both of the special treatments and then a couch. Then we parked ourselves there, leisurely ate and made our way through the tap list for the day before finally succumbing to the big tasting in the parking lot. This was my second beer of the day (well, actually had this and the oaked side by side, just the second one I tried). Pours jet black with a thin dense tan head, that sadly falls off too fast, but does come back with agitation. Lightly floral plum notes up front. Super sweet, and chewy. Somewhat cloying. Reminds me a bit of Southern Tierís CrŤme Brulee, but without the over the top artificial flavors, just the big pile of sweetness. Boozy and sweet, tastes a lot like melted vanilla ice cream. Maple syrup and sweet toffee candies on the finish. A solid beer, but seems a shadow of the original, and not as good as the oaked treatment.

PrinceDarren (3) - USA - APR 28, 2010 does not count
Sampled at DLD 2010. Wow, this yearís vintage is incredible. VB DL It is a kinder, gentler version of the brutally massive Dark Lord. Would love to try this with a few months of age. Canít wait until next year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Overml01 (225) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2010
2010 tap tasting at DLD. Youíll have to forgive me for my less than thourough tasting notes... a drunk taster with a destroyed palate does not, a proficient rater, make! I liked this just a bit less than DL and the Oak aged. A wonderful beer, but so little goes such a long way. We shared the 3oz sample between three of us and that was more than enough. Iíll be happy to have it again next year, but goodness is overwhelming.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - APR 27, 2010
Sampled at Dark Lord Day í10. Pours as dark as dark can be with a tiny bit of loose brown bubbles and lots of brown coating the glass as it swirls. Massive dark fruit notes, chocolate and a little coffee. This is much more smoothed out than fresh Dark Lord usually is. Thereís none of the harshness or green apple, more like a 1-2 year old bottle. The vanilla beans really come through and taste distinctly fresh. There oxidation like soy sauce at the end and itís a touch cloying but otherwise a truly amazing beer. The body is incredibly smooth and full with low carbonation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
misterbeer (313) - greenwood, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2010
wow 6 ounce pour at DLD -black pour -dark brown head-aroma and taste of coffee beans,vanilla, syrup,-super sweet sugary smooth booze finish-Awesome

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
3Faveryrogue (181) - Aslip, Illinois, USA - APR 26, 2010
This was a surprising treat on Dark Lord day. Walked into the warehouse, just kind of checking things out. And I see an extremely short line for drafts. Turns out, Vanilla bean was on the other end. I didnít take notes. Vanilla was a pretty dominant character here. Along with the extremities of the base. I didnít savor it as much as I guess I should have. There was tons of great beer. And this was just another one in the mix. Glad to put it under my belt.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Maddog (390) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - APR 25, 2010
Draft at DLD! Oh my goodness, what an amazing beer. The pour was very thick, headless, opaque black with huge aromas of maple syrup and roasted malts. The flavor was very complex with layers of cocoa, vanilla, caramel, molasses, maple syrup, oak and whole lot of alcohol power. One of the very best beers that I have ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
coyotehunter (667) - , Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2010
Huge thanks to Chuck for letting me try this. The vanilla is so hot and overpowering that it was really just damn good. Tobacco, burnt malt and about 36 other flavors made this one very tasty...and not that my ratings reflect it because I dont know, but I think the Oak aged was the best of the three dark lords.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - APR 24, 2010
Tasted at Dark Lord Day 2010, out of a wee plastic cup instead of the recommended snifter. This was incredibly thick beer. More like molasses or a milkshake than beer, really. Without a doubt, the thickest brew Iíve ever tasted. Get it yet? Itís freakiní THICK! The nose was very nice. The vanilla comes through, here, but it is well complemented by the roast and chocolate flavors, as well as a fair smack-in-the-face from the alcohol. Flavor was huge and bold. Perhaps too much so? The vanilla is very big in the flavor, perhaps to a fault. Not bad, of course. Just too much vanilla, in my opinion. Then again, I"m not the biggest vanilla fan. On a positive note, the use of real vanilla bean, rather than an extract or something else, really does make a difference, as the quality of the vanilla is notable. Overall, a very big, very good beer. For those who enjoy vanilla more than I, this could very well be paradise. For me, it was a nice new way to try the Dark Lord.