overall
Formerly brewed at Tinkoff
Style: Pale Lager
St. Petersburg, Russia

RATINGS: 91   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.43   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Life in Czarist Russia was not nessarily easy and simple for everyone - but the great taste of beer was available to all! Originally brewed to quench the thirst of Peter the Great (Czar Peter I), Tinkov Russian Lager has been served to both royalty and the common worker alike.

oxford11 (3) - , USA - JUL 28, 2008 does not count
This is one of my favorite beers, completely unique and packaged beautifully. The smell and taste is one of the greatest pilsners out there. The Russian’s indeed have made something fantastic when they created this beer and I hope they plan to brew more favors like this one. The Tinkov brewery located in St. Petersburg Russia is extremely clean and worth the visit. There are a lot of good pilsners out there but this brewery has made something like no other. I would strongly suggest if you’ve never had a Russia beer, try this one in particular as it has a rich favor similar London Fullers pilsner with a very clean and smooth taste with a beautiful color for a glass or right from the bottle. Lettering and packaging has won awards for they’re excellent appeal which I give them a lot of credit in making the taste match the true Tzar formula. Tinkov a great beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pilisopa (2) - USA - OCT 10, 2006 does not count
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2006 Nice deep golden color. Pleasant aroma. The taste is very clean and smooth. Great hops balance. Not overly complicated and highly refreshing. Didn’t notice any metallic flavor as mentioned by others. Drink it cold and drink it from a glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - APR 27, 2003
Yeah, so this was in my fridge for a while and it was in the "bottles that must be shared with andrew196" file. So I bring it to a family get-together and we just didn't get around to it. We weren't looking forward to drinking it - I mean, all pilseners from countrys not known for beer suck, right? But when we finally tried it, I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing adjunctive, skunky, or otherwise offensive was in the taste. I got light butter, and maybe some sunflower seeds in the flavor. Not bad at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - FEB 8, 2004
Nice straw color,small head that faded fast.Malty light caramelish aroma with a sweet side and cereal like quality.The taste was Malty and sweet with a slightly fruity side lightly hoped and clean finishing.There was a faint metallic taste at the very end but nothing to terrible.This was a much better brew then i was expecting,it still reminded me of some of the Macro's but over all it was quite decent and well worth trying again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JBowz99 (26) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 21, 2001
Tinkov is a difficult beer to judge. The first bottle I ever had of the stuff left me very impressed. However, the quality varies quite a bit between bottles and I have never since had one that lived up to the first.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Aurelius (4178) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Nice malty E. European lager aroma -- grassy/straw/malt. Flavor is on the sweet/malted side, a little oaty-cereal tasting, but very drinkable. Painted bottle, gold lager, slight appearance ding for the threaded cap. Good mouthfeel, the moderate hopping performs well in the palate. An enjoyable beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boystout (1000) - Chisinau, MOLDOVA - AUG 20, 2003
Russian label: Tinkoff Zolotoe (Golden), English: Tinkoff Lager. Alc. 4.8%. This was a very pleasant surprise, which reminded me of some of Nils Oscar's lagers. Clear pale golden color, medium thick head. Aroma is grainy, wheaty, a bit neutral. Taste is quite cereal an malty with light hoppiness in the end. Very nice and drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 27, 2003
I honestly bought this for the bottle. Very cool design. The beer itself reminded me of a helles style, not a pilsener. Slightly heavy and malty, with hops coming through in the end, but not so much. I drank this with sushi, and it complimented it well. Very german in style, probably because it's a decent lager. I'm happy with my purchase, but I doubt I'll make a habit of this stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ericnixon (740) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 28, 2003
Being a Russian Studies major in college has really prepared me for this beer. sad to see so much English on the bottle, but hey. no one would buy it in the US if it was written solely in Russian. Bought it in San Francisco while on vacation. Pretty good overall. Somewhat sweet with a malty taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - FEB 9, 2004
bottled: pretty cool bottle...silk screedned. poured hazy yellow with thin head...alot of the ratings says clear, mine definately had yeast left in the bottle? with a slight sweet wheat tast. much better then i thought it would be, no real hop character to speak of. interesting brew