overall

RATINGS: 628   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A delicate amount of Maple syrup is added to each barrel of our award winning Maple Nut Brown Ale to impart roasted sweetness. This addition balances the nut flavor produced by Munich caramel and chocolate malts used in the brewhouse, producing a drinkable dark amber ale with a relatively low alcohol content. 2000 World Beer Cup Gold Medal & 1996 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal Winner

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - MAR 4, 2003
Dark amber color with a medium light brown head. Nice roasted malt aroma with ....coffee? Yes I smell coffee. Taste is also like a coffee stout light, I could not taste any maple syrup. In my variety pack their amber tastes like a brown and this brown tastes like a stout. Its not bad I jsut did not care for it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - FEB 23, 2003
Dark brown pour with a medium tan head. Odd sweet yet sour taste. Below average.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 14, 2003
2/14/03: bottle. nice red- brown colour with some lacing. smells a tiny bit like tin with faint traces of malt. to the taste, pretty sour some sweet malt, and some tin. i really didn’t find much maple syrup. not as watery as many others in their six pack sampler.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 12, 2003
Well, I was expecting the taste of "pure maple syrup" as it says on the label. Some of it showed up, but it was accompanied by that hooligan - Sourness. The only other notable characteristic was the sticky finish at the back. Unimpressive.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Diablokev (147) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Hmm... So far out of the three beers sampled from a sampler 6 pack from this brewery, I can't say that I'm all that impressed. The aroma is light with just the slightest hint of Maple syrup (Remember the name of this beer is MAPLE NUT BROWN). The apperance is a deep ruby/browish color with almost no head, reminds me of a cola. The flavor is light and watery, again just the slightest hint of maple syrup, and again reminds me of a flat cola... The beer is smooth, but overall not that impressive. I think this brewery must be designing their beers for the non traditional beer drinkers. I'm not a big fan yet, however still have three more to go.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
jaymobrown (1665) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 28, 2003
Very light, very watery, and very low on taste. Incredible sour flavor. One bottle is enough.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - JAN 26, 2003
Totally offensive at the start, with a sour dumpster-juice aroma and odd garbage flavor. I tried my hardest to locate any maple, but almost gagged with a huge mouthfull. It seemed to relax and resemble a bad beer as it warmed up. Eww and yucky all at once.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Dogbrick (8141) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 22, 2003
I think I got an old one, this did not taste anything like what I was expecting. Pours a dark brown color with a medium beige and quickly dissipating head. Next to no lacing. Aroma is sweet and malty. Flavor was just way too sour, with a touch of sweetness that could have been caramel and could have been malt. Hard to tell though as the sourness dominated. Finish was kind of flat. I'll have to try this one again some time, it just seemed off.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
3fourths (8032) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 10, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2007 [needs rerate] Appearance was okay, but flavor was artificial. Very watery beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Frank (2879) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 5, 2003
All my friends agree that this beer is wierd. Sweet aroma. Sweet taste. Sticky mouthfeel. It has a low degree of maple flavor and a very high degree of wierdness.