overall

RATINGS: 621   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A delicate amount of Maple syrup is added to each barrel of our award winning Maple Nut Brown Ale to impart roasted sweetness. This addition balances the nut flavor produced by Munich caramel and chocolate malts used in the brewhouse, producing a drinkable dark amber ale with a relatively low alcohol content. 2000 World Beer Cup Gold Medal & 1996 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal Winner

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
N3lson1 (118) - Long Valley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 16, 2013
Delicious beer. Nice flavor of maple but not overpowering. The slight maple flavor has a nice sweetness to it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GilesTH (8) - Colorado, USA - MAR 27, 2014 does not count
My first beer! I tried this as a young-un, and I fell in love with the flavor instantly. I think anyone interested in a good first-time craft beer should check this out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
EvilPuppet99 (37) - Wisconsin, USA - NOV 15, 2012
Very good and a beautiful burnt red color. I had to try not to slam it. The maple syrup and spices blended perfectly for my palate. If I see this in a regular 6 pack on sale, Iíll buy it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bama_Hog1 (35) - Hoover, Alabama, USA - FEB 9, 2013
Best brown on the market. It is sweet by design. Read the name people, MAPLE nut brown ale. Great aroma, smooth sweet taste, and a medium mouthful. I love this one, but the imperial version is even better! If you are expecting a dry, hoppy brew, then don't rate this as if you expect it not to be a sweet brown ale for Beerness sakes. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ambrose (141) - East Aurora, New York, USA - MAY 8, 2007
My favoh-rite tommy knocker. what got me interested in the whole tommy knocker deal. how could you go wrong. maple? nut brown? ale? OH MAN!!!! Thats like three great things all conveniently bottled inside a bottle. Highly reccomend this to anyone who visits the colorful colorado.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 1, 2002
My first bottle had a touch of sourness (second bottle had none) and so I assumed I had a bad bottle. Upon buying another frickiní bottle, I got the same taste and have concluded that itís supposed to be that way. The headís just OK and color could be a bit darker. There is NO MAPLE here - none. As I stated, itís slightly sour (just a tidge) and comes with a fairly thin, waif-like body. FYI, a ítommyknockerí is a mischievous elf that used to wreak havoc in 1800s mining camps. Anyway, upon retaste, I can see the sweetness and think this is an agreeable session brew (even if you donít work in a Colorado mining camp). Upon each retaste, this beer gets sweeter (and better). A very mild, English-style brown, like Newcastle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrinkBeerBuck (1) - Wyoming, Minnesota, USA - AUG 25, 2005 does not count
Dark brown with slight medium light tan head. Sweet roasted malt with a hint of maple, mild nut flavor, different and rather pleasurable. Low carbonation. Best at the brewpub!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
byers132 (1) - USA - NOV 2, 2006 does not count
Great beer to drink any time. It may be dark in color, but it isnít thick and heavy like other brown ales.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dwyerpg (4354) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 3, 2007
Smells great, maple and caramel but no nuts. Taste is nice but way too sweet and no real nuttiness there either. Which really is fine by me. Too sweet, but I found this mostly enjoyable and think itís underrated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cthomas2390 (200) - Colorado, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Pours a nice clear brown. Tight, lacing, off-white head. Nutty caramel with a bit of hop background in the aroma. Sweet maple and caramel flavors are gently toned down by moderate hops. Healthy body with soft carbonation. Nice residual sweetness lingers.