Toppling Goliath Norseman’s Wrath

Toppling Goliath Norseman’s Wrath
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 2.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.76   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 21   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Base Imperial Stout Recipe

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
sthlm (1231) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 14, 2012
[On-tap at Toppling Goliath] Toppling Goliath makes some great beers, and imperial stout is my favorite style, so I was eager to try this one. Unfortunately, it ended up being easily the biggest disappointment of the day. Pours black with a dark brown head. Looks great. Aroma is weird, and has a lot of barbeque sauce. Well...I can live with that. First sip, and holy diabetes in a bottle! Some dark fruit, with a little cinnamon, brown sugar, black currants and a strong char presence...but most of all this thing is just loaded with sugar. Reminds me of Gringo Breakfest Stout from Rock Bottom Des Moines...except with about ten times as much sugar added, and no peppers. Thick mouthfeel. Overall, this was so incredibly sweet that I could only hand a few ounces and I had to leave the rest--something which I virtually never do. One of the most disappointing imperial stouts that I have had in a long time.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
ekoerper (589) - Iowa, USA - JAN 8, 2012
Tap at TG. Nose is fairly subtle - caramel and a touch of roast, some fruits in the background. Pours inky black, thin brown head dissipates quickly, little lacing. Beer is so viscous that it coats the glass and leaves a brown tint. Flavor follows the nose - tons of caramel, syrupy, some chocolate and roast, extremely sweet, some booze but overall the alcohol is well hidden. Very full body, sticky and syrupy.