Town Hall Banana Bread Beer
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 18   MEAN: 3.36/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
This crazy ale may remind you of a wheat beer. It is loaded with barley, wheat, oats, water, yeast, ... very much the same make-up as a loaf of bread. We thought what would make a (liquid) bread recipe more interesting...the answer seemed simple---bananas! We added bananas to the boil, we added bananas to the fermentation, and we added bananas while the beer aged. We added bananas until we reached 150 lbs. The result is a medium malty, unfiltered beer that has the aroma and finish of nice ripe bananas. Again, may remind you of a wheat beer--certainly a treat in Minnesota in January.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
vomit (173) - Michigan, USA - OCT 6, 2014
In the immortal words of that one guy in the original "Robocop", "I LIKE IT!" Not as much as Blatz, Pabst, Schlitz, Point Pale Ale, Grain Belt, Hamm’s, Blatz Light, Widowmaker, Crazy Shirley’s Raspberry Disaster, that Blueberry Wheat from Grand Marais Brewing Company, Stone India IPA, and some others. But again: "I like it!" Maybe not as much as I originally thought. But its OK. The wife bought it at some "Blind Pig" down in the big city of Chi-Town, and I thought: "Banana bread and beer? Huh? who’d’ve thunk it?" I almost wanted to scream at the top of my lungs: "Mein Weiner ist riesig !!!" I didn’t. But who could blame me if I did. Or not.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ret12 (453) - Maryland, USA - SEP 4, 2011
This beer really does taste similiar to banana bread. It threw me off a bit at first but you learn to like the banana and beer mixture.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Stine (1627) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2007
Straw yellow in color. A wheat in all respects - spicy, brisk, and bright in the nose and on the tongue with a lovely hint of banana that isn’t overpowering. Slightly sweet with a banana yogurt and granola feeling. Nicely done, not quite my style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JAN 31, 2007
Light orange colour with a big foamy white head. Yeasty hefeweizen like aroma with a hint of banana. Light body and flavour, with a big dose of banana that I felt overpowered any other flavours. Even with the overpowering banana, the taste is still weak. Personally, i think they did a good job on a beer made with banana - not one I’d drink again, however.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
joebrew (608) - Farewell Minny; Hello Puyallup, Washington, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Pours a cloudy orangish hue with a decent off-white head. The aroma is very similiar to a German Hefe, with a hint more banana. The flavor is very nice and echoes the nose. It tastes like a solid hefe w/ accented sweet banana flavor. A pleasant suprise for sure.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Tap @ BP. Traditional wheat beer w/ banana notes. Not as complex as the name indicates.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 18, 2006
Been sitting on this rating since February. Sour and sweet, unique aroma. Fresh and citrusy. Deep orange, very cloudy body. Small, off-white body. As it warms I lose the banana. Sweet and very quaffable. Very well done. In fact, I love it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 6, 2006
Hazy Gold to Orange Coloring wiht White Head. Heavy Wheat and Encompaassing but Subtle Banana Nose. Flavor is Pretty Spot on to the Nose. Nice Subtle, Yet Very Evident Flavor of Bananas Throughout...Medium Mouthfeel with a Heavy and Lightly Dry Wheat Flavor Finishing on the Palate. I had an Expectation of Artificial Banana Flavor Stuck in My Head Like ’Runts’, Whereas This Brew Has a Very Nice Subtle Taste and Smell of Fresh Ripe Bananas. Never Overbearing. Nice Brew!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - JAN 22, 2006
Tap at Winterfest.WTF is this?? Surely a strange flavor in a brew and not one that I liked too much. Some crazy farm action or something and muddled fruit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - JAN 19, 2006
A nice hazy golden, with a layer of fine white head. Yeast, banana, clove aroma. Slightly accentuated banana, but still within the range of something like a German hef. Warm spritzy banana flavor. Great balance. Not at all a bombastic banana slap. Light palate, but not thin. I wasn’t expecting much from this one, but I actually really enjoyed it!