Town Hall Chubby Monk
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
This is a Belgian style Dubbel that features all the complexity you expect. It has been aging for some time and has matured very nicely..great right? This also means this beast (7.3%ABV) is very smooth, so be careful!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
This is my second sampling of this new Town Hall brew, one pint had at the pub earlier today and this new taste comes from a growler, well warmed. I'm pouring it out into a favorite Belgian dubbel glass, and we see a clear, dark chestnut brown brew emerging in the vessel, topped with a fair and fizzy head, though woefully short-lived. Aroma: bold and complex, taking some time to show itself, tossing out notes of nuts, chocolate, dark fruit, brandy, red wine, full of richness and dark delights. As for taste, a good texture and prodigious mouthfeel, snappy hops at first, but dominated by malt, with the flavor getting ever fruitier on the palate. The flavor projects more with every tilt of the glass and gulp of the brew, while a tiny tartness emerges to check up on the sweetness. Rich, delicious, warm, nutty, with a continual tang on the tongue. Finish is just right, medium length, and lingering well past when the liquid leaves the mouth. As I get further into it, I like this dubbel more and more, and what's not to like? Ample body, excellent taste, well-rounded flavor, and a lovely, lively kick to boot. I'll be returning for more of this Brother Monk, you can be sure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 11, 2004
Cask, (dubbel on cask? wtf?) Lightly estery, with a good dark sweet malt character. Quite "dubbely" if I will. Good special B character, touch of liquorice. Quite sweet, but nice rich malt character. Good interpretation of a dubbel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JK (4614) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - DEC 4, 2003
Clear, red. No head. Fruit aroma. Taste is also of fruit with salt. Reminded me of Duinen.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 29, 2003
great muhfuggin' dubbel. mahogany in color. no head at all. perfect consistency on my tongue. definitely true to the style. nice fruity maltiness type thang goin' on in my mouf. like roasted plums (do people ever roast plums?). sweet finish, smooth palate. i might even drink this if it didn't have any alcohol in it. i hope town hall never runs out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 21, 2003
It should be noted that I am not too familiar with this style. That said, I enjoyed this beer. The smell was fresh grapes over the very present carbonation. I tasted it immediately and the cold serving temp hindered what I knew to be lurking beneath. I waited a while, even stirred it with a knife to remove the excess carbonation, then things got interesting. Bananas and slight clove on the tongue with a hint of what grape juice smells like. The respectable ABV was hidden nicely due to the aging. As a cask fanatic, I will have to wait and see if they offer it from the pump. I will re-rate then. But I did enjoy this beer!