Town Hall Coffee Stout
overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 3.71/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   ABV: -

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2004
A surprise and a delight went hand in hand when I saw the words "coffee" and "stout" underneath the word, "Cask" at Town Hall tonight. My favorite sub-style, on cask?? Unbelieving, I grilled the barman, who confessed that they do this "from time to time", add a little concentrated coffee grounds, in a tightly wound nylon mesh(a method I was familiar with, having used it to make cold-press coffee at a local cofee shop/ice cream cafe, years ago) to their regular Black Water Oatmeal Stout. The BlackH20 is good, but this thing is another realm altogether. Beautiful cascading effect, from the cask, great, well-retained cocoa/tan head. Aroma: Everything Coffee!! No other way to describe it! Real, authentic, actual coffee, placed in the confines of a very fine stout= perfection, in my eyes! Add to that it's freshly made, freshly tapped (within the past few days, at least...I was here last Wednesday, and it wasn't), cask-conditioned... Wow! I love it, I totally, honestly love it! Smooth, but full-bodied. Huge malt, small hops, excellent texture, and overwhelming, in the best possible way, with true coffee flavor. I've died and gone to heaven, not far from home! How good is that? Amazing! Drinkability pulled back a bit, for it was so rich and thick and flavorful that I couldn't finish my second pint. (Though it was my 6th pint of the day!) I will take every opportunity that I can to imbibe this until it leaves us again, and we must hope upon the chance of it's arrival once more!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 5, 2004
cask. sweet coffee, chocolate sniffage. smooth (of course). sweet and irony at first, then some coffee, chocolate and dark malts take over. it's a tad on the watery side and could be a bit more flavorful, but it's good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JK (4401) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - OCT 18, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2005 Cask pour. Aroma of coffee and oatmeal. Black, with a small head that laced the glass. Mild coffee flavor, followed by semi sweet fruit. Medium to full body. Very drinkable.