Town Hall Garys Wheat Pale Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.82/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
A standard American Pale Ale with a twist. Instead of simply pale barley malt and caramel malt wee added a generous portion of malted wheat to the malt bill. We ended up with an ale that has a higher protein percentage with a distinct grain tartness. That tartness blended and accented the hop variety used, which is known for it's citric piney character. A great beer to enjoy when the sun and warmth returns. Named for our pal Gary Blume, who is currently recovering from surgery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2005
Mike can hop just about anything and I would try it. Signature Town Hall pale hop- piney and sharp to start with a buttery soft landing. There is little malt to back this up and I donít really taste the banana or citrus of a wheat. Actually this looks and tastes like a pilsner. Its what Prima Pils should taste like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JK (4520) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2007 Aroma is mostly hops, but I did pick up some pine. Light orange with a large white head. Flavor is very bitter and mostly hops, followed by a smooth, wheat taste. This one gets a few extra points for an original idea. 6/3/6/3/14 --------&# again Sept. 2007. Good craftsmanship, but I donít think I like the dry Simcoe hops as they are too dry in the flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
badgerben (4479) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Light orange or yellow with an initially large head that settles down after a few minutes. Aroma is certainly on the piney side, but not overwhelmingly so. Some slight lemon that you might expect in a wheat. The taste is pleasantly hoppy with the same light pine from the aroma, mixed with a dash of malt and wheat. It is what it is, and itís decent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - APR 30, 2005
On-tap at the brewpub: Blurry set gold with a firm and crusty white top of medium height. Great sheeting lace down the sides as it subsides from the fast imbibing. Aroma is clean and crisp with a two tone citrus of orange over lemon with a small hint of pine. Slightly toasted malt hinges at the footing of the citrusy frame. Taste is also very clean and crisp, inviting little bits of everything here. Little bit citrusy, little bit toasty, little bit sweet, little bit bitter, little bit pine, little bit rock and roll. I will whole heartedly agree with the inseption of it being a "Baby Mama". Very reminscent of Masala on just a slightly toned tone scale. But still brings with it all the willingness of what the Mama provides. That being its thirst quenching goodness! Oh so easily it flows from tap to glass and glass to lips. Iím sorry, but this was great for an APA, easily putting quite a few IPAís to shame. I didnít seem to undertake any real extra grain qualities from the wheat used other then some finer toasted factions on the finish. Which was awesome. Great mix of citrus pined hops, toasty malts, and clean bitterness and feel along with superb crispness made this one excellent APA in my book. Drinkable? More like drink-a-bowl...drink one every morning and every night. Yum!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 27, 2005
The beer made us wonder...would this be a pale wheat (and what would that be like, and would I like it?), or a pale ale made with wheat, and how about that, too? It arrived a hazy orange, with a capable cap of foam...still no questions answered. One sniff and we were hooked, though...definite APA aroma, big time citric hop sensation. Good wheat texture on the palate, tasty graininess, smooth and easy drinking, but each sip accompanied by a generous hop bite, each and every swallow. I sat and sipped on a couple with BA steorn and we started calling it Smooth Mama (in reference to the Masala Mama IPA), Mama, Jr., Baby Mama...itís got all the character of a nice, hoppy pale ale, but made more elegantly drinkable with the addition of malted wheat to the grain bill. Medium bodied, with a long, hoppy finish. I savored this one, though itís a quaffable champ. I hope this stays around for a while, for I look forward to imbibing it for the remainder of the springtime. (Reviewed from very recent memory, due to the bartenderís mistake. I intended to review from a growler, but he gave me the Spring Wheat instead...oh, well, Iíll have to go back for more tomorrow!)